passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

10 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

On the flip side to that, at least Sony's was on at a decent time

I'd agree with that. 

I think this is the first time I've been awake for one of these. I remember on GTM, Blakey, Maf etc would have pages of threads and be talking about the latest conference into silly o' clock

There has actually been a lot of things I prefer about these digital only events that have happened over a E3. There’s been no awkward stage banter or demo fails that make me hide behind my hands. As said above the times have been friendlier which is good. The spacing out of the events has also been fun. I think it’s actually been a really good past couple of weeks for video games instead of just an overload shot in the arm over 1 and a bit days. I mean think it’s not even over yet. We still got Xbox first party video to go and maybe Nintendo will do a direct at some point (Hoping?). So even now there’s something to look forward too. That’s cool. 

And maybe the number 1 thing I like the most is there’s been far fewer pre-show leaks. Usually I have to stay away from all video game news sources an hour or two before the show because everything starts leaking like crazy just before I’m about to be surprised by it. I genuinely hate that. It’s like c’mon, guys, really? If it’s a month before whatever, but the business is that desperate for clicks they couldn’t hold off an hour. 

To contradict myself, though, I do also miss the craziness of it all being on one day and just making a night of it. I think the lack of an event night as meant the hype and excitement chatter on the forums has not been as fun or electric and frantic. I think it was last year me and OneTwo actually got on mic and watched some of the conferences live together. That was fun. There’s also exterior stuff like the GB After Dark shows we’re not getting because E3 isn’t on. Another good point by @DANGERMAN is I have definitely missed a bunch of stuff as well. I have no idea what happened with that IGN thing. Is it even still going? 

I don’t know. There actually has been a bunch of positives about the way it’s gone down this year but overall I still think I prefer normal E3.

39 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

I'm putting this question here since I'm avoiding stuff. 

But does The Last of Us Pt 2 have a surprisingly cool online competitive mode like the original? 

No. Single player only.

I keep going on the Sea of Thieves Discord thing to see if I can find a game. Really I want to find a crew of 25yrs+, UK, and no nutters but I don’t know how to do that without 1) making it sound like a dating site and 2) not being awkward and 3) what if I’m the nutter ?

I mean I don’t think I am but how would I know. 

Even though Discord clearly works for finding games there’s still such a difficult barrier to it and it’s full of unknowns. I don’t have any ideas on how to make the process any easier but there should be. I get too scared to even type in the server or respond to people.

I hate people they should just be robot AI that have all the skill of a real player and the knowledge and the helpfulness but with none of the people part

1 minute ago, Maf said:

what if I’m the nutter

huh

For gaming discord stuff I find one good way to find big communities is on resetEra. Era might have a rep for overly performative wokeness but the community side of it is actually really good.

Alternatively there's reddit.

Mainly tho my main discord usage is my FFXIV fc which is a little different cause all the discovery happens right within the game itself.

I mean if you're asking cause you're autistic I imagine a lot of communities are not unused to playing on VC with autistic people. If that's the question, I can't understand what you mean tbh.

Tho obviously depends on what communities you go into. Can't imagine the CoD crowd being nice unless you find some 30+ folks.

I guess just take the time to learn and understand a little bit of the nuance of whatever community you wander into. Not to an extreme degree or anything but just a little basic netiquette. 

I am generally fairly quiet on discord except for coordinating raid mechanics in FFXIV cause I am a healer and when other people walk into stupid it's my job to adjust, so I have to tell them off before they do it. It's the only time I get to boss fuckers around lol

Well I just meant how many times have you matched up with people through Discord and it’s been a pleasant time playing and talking with them vs how many times it has not.

But I guess FF14 is a bit different because you have a lot of people where as in SoT at most there is only 3 other people so I would be forced in having to actively participate in the group and talk and whatnot.

Also if I got joined up with a group I didn’t want to play with I wouldn’t know how to get out. Do I say hey I don’t want to play with you or just quit out of everything ASAP without saying anything I don’t know

Used to play a lot of SoT through the official SoT Discord and one of the community ones @Maf and there’s plenty of ass hats, racists, sexists, homophobes and other types of twats. 

I will say though if specify something like ‘18+ with Mic’ that’ll reduce your chances of getting twats, but even then it’s probably something like 50/50. It’s rare they’ll all be twats on a galleon though, sometimes if there is a racist there there’ll just be one racist out of the bunch and they can just be muted. You could put ‘18+ no racism/homophobia/sexism’ as well. I remember one time just cause my character was a women in the game they started being sexist even though they knew I was a dude. 

SoT is one of the most difficult games to escape people like that too as the nature of the game means you’re stuck with them however long a quest takes to hand in, which can take hours and hours.

Anyone have any LP channels they follow?

Following discussion of retro replay on the TLOU thread, which is Nolan North and formerly Troy Baker playing games including ND ones.

I used to watch Super best friends when that was a thing and I sometimes watch LobosJr who's a Souls streamer and currently working his way through a lot of FFXIV stuff (he attempts old raids at the intended item levels and stuff so it's interesting for me to see what those mechanics are like cause I can never get a group for old content like that).

I watch speed runs, fighting game tournaments and LPs of rogue-lite games (mostly if I'm familiar with them) , or maybe games that never really end like Warframe.  But I rarely watch LPs of traditional single player games.  Usually because I may want to play them myself and if someone is playing a game I've already played, well it depends on the game and who's playing it.  So I have a Venn Diagram that is kinda specific. Eurogamer's LP of FFVII is a perfect example of what I'd happily watch now. 

It's not strictly an LP but Tim Rogers continues to do his thing since leaving Kotaku on his Action Button YouTube and Twitch channels, as well as a podcast of the same name.  Follow them all.  It's horribly self indulgent but never unentertaining and very educational in the important art of gaming. 

I agree a lot (except when it comes to his appreciation of Jak 2. I've tried and I just don't feel it). 

I tried to watch a couple of Tim Rogers videos but I just can’t do it. His delivery just winds me up no end. Made more annoying by the fact when he has his moments where he talks normally I find him much better to listen to and watch. I can’t deal with the constant cuts too, I hate that editing style.