passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

The equivalent PC parts either cost almost as much as an average PC build (1000-1500 GBP for you folks) or just aren't available yet. Nobody's PCs on here are near what these machines are doing.

Well I mean with the exception of the PS5 processor maybe. That seemed a little weedier than expected.

it used to be pretty common for the new consoles to do be more powerful (or at least make it look like that in games). I can't think of a huge amount on PC that was outstripping the PS1 in 3D, nor the Dreamcast. How consoles are built and the pc hardware market have both changed a lot, which is a bit reason why the gen the consoles couldn't out-perform fairly reasonable pcs from the off, but this coming generation is looking different. I don't see me having a more powerful PC than these consoles at launch

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this while reading stuff about the new Nier remaster, apparently Drakengard 3 is now actually playable if you have a modern CPU 

With its framerate issues D3 is like a 4/10 game, without that single issue it could almost be as good as Nier imo. The story and music is great (but very edgy). The final boss is incredible but also incredibly unfair.

I wonder how MGS4 and Demons Souls run?

my mum told me she's been playing her Wii a lot (mostly exercise stuff I think). I know she's got a 3DS too, so I was looking for stuff online that I could get delivered, it's now weirdly hard to find Wii and 3DS stuff.

I know it's old now, but it felt like it wasn't going anywhere, no one wanted it, so the stock would just sit there forever. I wonder if all the retailers just stuck it on ebay

I've got a spare copy of Wario ware for the 3DS I might send her if the post office is open over the next day or so

ordered some games for my mum. There was a store doing buy 1 get 1 free on Wii games on ebay so I got her Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz and WarioWare. Not sure she'll get a lot out of the latter in single player but I think she'll both laugh and get furious with it. She will probably force my dad to play it, he is going to hate it

Also got her Captain Toad for 3DS, which I loved when I played it, shouldn't be too complicated

This article sums my feelings up on a RE4 remake

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/please-dont-remake-resident-evil-4-capcom/?__twitter_impression=true

So much of what makes RE4 good is how the encounter design revolves around the stop and shoot gameplay and the limitations imposed by the tight camera. Also the game's general good instinct at knowing when to introduce new enemy types and punish repetitive play (broken melee notwithstanding).

(Yes the island section does suck tho)

Its one of those games where its age doesn't hold back its greatness and I struggle to imagine what people think a remake can do for a game like this. It's also an action game, not a survival horror, so you would have to lean more into the action and I don't see how you don't just end up with something like RE6 out of it. eg, imagine how the game balance of RE4 would get upset by a dodge roll or any of the fancy tech they give you in RE6. You'd have to lean way more into what direction that game was going in, which was almost like a character action TPS if you were good at it. Then you'd end up with something that isn't really recognisable as RE4

That is also why I think RE2 worked so well as a remake. They were trying to re-imagine what it's like to control a 'rookie cop' from a different camera angle so it's a much more fertile ground for re-imagining. 

Admittedly they would have to put some work into a CV REmake, perhaps more than REmake 1. Lots of quality of life fixes needed for the games second act.  Next gen, maybe?

So with all the difficulties Square have had getting FFVII remake out to people (even now pre-orders are being cancelled as many shops/sites don't have allotments and don't know when they will) I wonder what the release calendar will look like rest of the year? Will studios be ok with largely digital releases for the next few months until this thing resolves? Or will they delay?