passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

The glorification and appropriation of war is something that's never sat right with me. It was worse when it was all 2nd world war stuff, and they talked about speaking to survivors then gamified it, it's less of a problem (imo) when it's not grounded in reality. That's always seemed disrespectful to me, or at least doesn't sit right. 

Not that I have a problem with violence in games as such, nor war in games, there's just something about the way its handled 

People talk about how games never affect them and how unmoved they are by these images... but never underestimate the pernicious effects of propaganda even if it comes in the form of a game that you like. 

Spec Ops: The Line is a game everyone should play. It's very rough and the messaging is about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the jaw. But it did a thing games generally try to avoid*

It's also why the use of white phosphorus in the new CoD MP is a problem. It's a weapon that's basically forbidden by the code of conduct when it comes to war that's turned into something like a smoke grenade in the game. At least stick to the more 'humane' mass murder methods out there for the killstreaks (feels like such a weird sentence to type but that's where we are). Or represent the effects of them more accurately and respectfully (like The Line did)

We shouldn't be afraid to criticise games for things like this, I think. It's a massively influential form of media now

*(Someone will mention Bioshock or TLOU here, but it's not the same thing).

12 hours ago, Nag said:

Out of interest... Has anyone here ever been genuinely offended by a videogame?

No. Nor by TV, film, books etc

I can perceive how something could be insulting, to whoever. But the whole modern predilection towards "offence" goes straight over my head.

Just now, Nag said:

I think the notion of being offended pre-dates the internet age...

That's why I said the "Modern" idea of it. ?

In the last few years, the word has lost all meaning. If anything it has become a byword for hate. This is the era of hate, after all. EG I am offended by that remark  = I hate what you say

When it comes to gaming, I think it comes down to what you play. I veer far more into fantasy than reality. As I view gaming as escapism. I don't tend to really play anything that is grounded in the reality of the world we live in.

The WP thing I brought up was after reading this

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/09/17/modern-warfare-white-phosphorus-killstreak-2019

Issue isn't really just about 'offense', but a problem in messaging. Do developers of war games have an extra responsibility to be careful of how they represent things. Particularly in 'grounded' war games (not Halo)

I think yes, anyway. All media representations of war can help younger people develop attitudes towards it over time. The same young people who are the target of enlistment adverts.

You would probably hope and expect the incorrect attitudes would be trained out of them though.

Like OCH, I’ve never been offended by any media. Ive not found any game, film, tv show, music or book offensive. They’ve just never had that effect on me at all. Maybe felt a bit uncomfortable during some T&A stuff if my partner is in the same room - such as when I was doing the romance options in Persona 5 as a recent example but that was just more embarrassment which I wouldn’t have felt if my partner wasn’t there. That’s it though.

Maybe I’m just so desensitised to any of it. When I was young I was always one of those kids that if I found out something was banned or controversial and offensive I had to then watch, listen to or read it discovering some of my favourite artists and programmes along the way. I loved that shit. I still do in a way if it comes to violence in media. I find the gore in stuff like GoW, Mortal Kombat etc. hilarious and it genuinely adds to my enjoyment of those games. Same with any films that use blood squibs. Which is strange in a way because I absolutely hate violence in real life and struggle with it. 

I can understand people being offended/uncomfortable with portrayals of war in games though or having a problem with the tastelessness of it at times. But getting offended by anything else? Nah, don’t get it really.

I wish there was a game like the opening act of MGS4 except instead of being Metal Gear it was more directly ripping conflicts and topics from the headlines (make up fictional names of people but something that relates to today)

And make the story it’s own hyper reality, but it still to be a political conspiracy theory driven plot line where you can draw comparisons to what you’re reading  

Basically I want current news in a MGS1 style game. Maybe that would be in poor taste but I think it would be really interesting. Make a game that analyses today’s bullshit but you also get to solve some of it. 

I posted about this already, but for some reason an old video on my youtube account that had like 10 views got 4k views this week. So people keep subscribing to my shit channel now. 

What do I do with these? Should I start early at trying to brainwash them with dank alt-right memes so I can sic them on maf when he says something I disagree with?

I guess this is kind of a not so humble brag also, but it actually makes me anxious lol

I have seven subscribers on YouTube, I don't even make videos ?‍♂️ 

In fact, I had some issues with that the last time YouTube had a major overhaul (about three/four years ago?) and asked for the subscriber feature to be removed [from my account]. They ignored me...

My achievements list is really getting me down. I have just a bunch of not 100% games on there like Bloodstained, Borderlands, Apex, Gears 5. But for the most part all the achievements are either super grindy or multiplayer based. It’s stopping me from starting new stuff because I already have all this to do but I also don’t want to do any of it because they all suck. I get paralysed by this stuff so easy.