passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

Just a head's up. 

Someone logged into my Steam account last night. I got the email at 1:30am while I was at a party saying here's you access code for a new device. 

Nothing seems to have been tampered with, but I've changed my password. Might want to do yours just in case. 

I've been thinking about games that have aged badly due to world politics and when Virtua Cop got brought up in the Top Ten podcast it made me think about how would a game about playing a cop shooting criminals on sight go down today given the USA's shoot fist ask questions later style they've do. It's kind of a fucked up premise when you think about it, I've no doubt a lot of gaming has stuff like that, but the idea of cops riddling people with bullets makes me feel a bit uneasy on an ethical level.

12 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

Doesn't the authenticator stop that sort of stuff?

It doesn't stop someone entering your username and password in the login screen if they know it, but it sounds like the 2-factor part did its job and stopped someone logging in without the code it sends.

10 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I've been thinking about games that have aged badly due to world politics and when Virtua Cop got brought up in the Top Ten podcast it made me think about how would a game about playing a cop shooting criminals on sight go down today given the USA's shoot fist ask questions later style they've do. It's kind of a fucked up premise when you think about it, I've no doubt a lot of gaming has stuff like that, but the idea of cops riddling people with bullets makes me feel a bit uneasy on an ethical level.

You got more points for disarming the perps in Virtua Cop. But yeah, I think for a few years now we've started to see a reaction to the more mindless aspects of gaming, which is probably why we got the God of War we did 

18 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

You got more points for disarming the perps in Virtua Cop. But yeah, I think for a few years now we've started to see a reaction to the more mindless aspects of gaming, which is probably why we got the God of War we did 

I think it's a step that needs to be taken. I know we had a bit of a talk about politics in games in the Hot Topic thread a while back and I never really thought about it on a ground level because when you think politics you think left vs right. There's more facets to it than you realise when you start picking it apart. There's a dissonance there with Virtua Cop, it doesn't really make any sense as to why you'd be shooting criminals even though you're supposedly the good guy and they're the bad guy. When you look at other types of those games like Operation Wolf or that terrible Judge Dredd game that they made those don't carry that as much because of the settings, they're conceptually the same idea, but a setting sorts it out to where it's like "Oh, OK, I see nothing particularly wrong with this".

The comment on God of War is interesting, I've not played it yet but I have watched people stream and I noticed no dubious shit that would 'trigger' people in today's world. I'm not saying Kratos is suddenly likeable, but it's a bit of a turn around from what he was before, they've sort of sanitised him from his past while still keeping Kratos Kratos.

Look at someone like Duke Nukem. I've never liked him even when I was a kid. I just couldn't gel with the general tone of Duke games.They're weren't smart enough to be satire. It was just this gross macho dickhead with added toilet humour being a big fucking stereotype with nothing to really back it up, there was a sense of irony there that he was almost as paper thin as he tret the one trick titillation focused women in those games. He was such an unlikable cunt, his attitudes and demeanour being like something an alt-right follower would look up to.

It'd be interesting to see if Duke Nukem could be fixed for a modern audience. He might be irreparable, he might just be of an age where he was what he was and nothing will be able to fix him because of that. I thought that about Kratos though, and seemingly they've managed to drop his past while still keeping the momentum of what He's about. Duke is sort of irredeemable. I guess they could make him like Mr Torgue from Borderlands or something along those lines where you have those clashings of expectations smashed, but I really couldn't see it happening. He was a relic even back in the 90s and we've raced on miles culturally since then. To me he's the videogame version of those racist misogynistic comics from the 70's that got washed aside by alternative comedy in the 80's, but for some reason he's still managed to be beloved by a lot of fans despite being a a huge sex pest.

I started to have this problem a while back.  It was one of the reasons Battlefield Hardline was so unappealing.  There was some controversy when it came out that I totally felt the same why about.  That game was about a military police a month or so before it came out there was some protest that police were deployed to who were all kitted out in military gear.  I think I remember saying at the time that it looked too much like what was on the news.

It happened again quite recently.  I was set to try out the H1Z1 Battle Royale mode but on PS4 but I was watching a stream and all it took to put me off right away was the player picking up a AR-15.  This was when weeks prior there had been those school/mass shootings back to back, most of witch used that weapon and all NRA types were moaning about how it isn't technically an assault rifle and civilians should still be allowed to own them.  It's like I felt a game just having an AR-15 in I was supporting the company that makes the weapon in some way since licencing agreements would have been made, supporting the arms industry.

I've found for quite a few years that I've found realistic shooters based in something close to current times really off putting.  Any shooter I play during this time is usually sci-fi based or is removed enough from reality in other ways.

Virtua Cop was a reflection of the buddy cop action films of the late 80s/ early 90s : Lethal Weapon, 48 Hours, Tango and Cash etc. 

Unless it was being pitched as a direct throwback, you probably couldn't and wouldn't make a game like that these days, just as those kind of films don't seem to be around these days, outside of comedies.

I was browsing some game sites this morning even though I really don't need anything else to play at the minute, it turns out Red Dead is out this week and is seemingly the only game retailers are trying to sell (got to feel sorry for something called My Hero One's Justice which is out the same day ? )

Anyway, I saw something called Gal Metal World Tour, and it reminded me of Ouendan, or a drum version of that anyway. Anyone know anything about it?

26 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

I was browsing some game sites this morning even though I really don't need anything else to play at the minute, it turns out Red Dead is out this week and is seemingly the only game retailers are trying to sell (got to feel sorry for something called My Hero One's Justice which is out the same day ? )

Anyway, I saw something called Gal Metal World Tour, and it reminded me of Ouendan, or a drum version of that anyway. Anyone know anything about it?

I think Radiofloyd might have mentioned it when the Japanese version game out. 

It's from Tak Fujii, of Ninety-Nine Nights and Konami E3 press conference fame.

I have it in Japanese, only played it the once mind. It’s part visual novel, part music game, the early part I played was much more visual novel than music game. It was good Japanese practice though. I played full price for it though so I’ll have to play it at some stage.

I made a thread for it:

https://www.mfgamers.net/index.php?/topic/41877-gal-metal/&tab=comments#comment-214279

• 2 weeks later...

Proper nostalgia trip tonight. For ages I've been meaning to see if the homebrew channel is still on my Wii, it didn't transfer over to my WiiU for some reason. I'd have looked in to it before now but my 4k TV doesn't have scart, but as I was going to set my WiiU up to play some Ju-On anyway I figured I'd do both and put the Wii on my old TV that's in the front room.

Good news, the homebrew channel is still on the Wii. I'd probably rather it be on the WiiU but the WiiU can't play Gamecube games, so at least this way I can still play my Wii imports and my Gamecube imports 

That's not what the nostalgia was though. I'm in Wii mode on the WiiU and have my old games on there. It's mainly Mega Drive games, theres a bunch of stuff that clearly didn't fit on the capacity you're allocated so I'm downloading a bunch of stuff to the sd card. Which means eShop music, tracking the loading circle with the pointer, and Mario punching blocks as the least clear progress bar ever 

The main pang of nostalgia I got though was after I played Ju-On. I went back to the home screen and I had a Wii message about what I'd played today. It reminded me of those being used as a chat system with people from here

I’m honestly not sure where to post this. It certainly doesn’t belong in Cool Video Game Shit. Maybe the lol thread.

Dave Perry returns, still stuck in his past. Old resolution, terrible theme tunes written by him, “bikini babes” and still not over Super Mario 64.

What a fucking mess.

The joys of digital.

I've recently been given an Xbox 360 (launch model that still works)! Thought it would be great for the kids to bash through some of the old Arcade stuff i've bought over the years. Seems half of the games have been taken off sale due to licensing issues. Specifically looking at you, Afterburner Climax.

Still, Castle Crashers still works and the kids nearly died laughing at the shitting deer!

42 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I’m honestly not sure where to post this. It certainly doesn’t belong in Cool Video Game Shit. Maybe the lol thread.

Dave Perry returns, still stuck in his past. Old resolution, terrible theme tunes written by him, “bikini babes” and still not over Super Mario 64.

What a fucking mess.

I saw that this morning. It's so embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Chimay said:

The joys of digital.

I've recently been given an Xbox 360 (launch model that still works)! Thought it would be great for the kids to bash through some of the old Arcade stuff i've bought over the years. Seems half of the games have been taken off sale due to licensing issues. Specifically looking at you, Afterburner Climax.

If it's in your purchase history, you should be able to redownload even if they are no longer available to buy. I think there's only a very small selection of games where this isn't the case. I could be wrong, though.

I watched that Dave Perry video and it was a proper mess. I remember hearing a while ago that he was planning a return, and it's turned out pretty much how I thought it would.

Just now, retroed said:

If it's in your purchase history, you should be able to redownload even if they are no available to buy. I think there's only a very small selection of games where this isn't the case. I could be wrong, though.

I watched that Dave Perry video and it was a proper mess. I remember hearing a while ago that he was planning a return, and it's turned out pretty much how I thought it would.

It would help if the purchase history worked, it just comes up as blank. The only way i've managed to find any list of purchased content was to go through my achievements list and write them down.