passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

DisturbedSwan

Yeah I regularly paid them off once it got past the Level 2 phase. Otherwise I’d be getting stuck in to an area/mission,only for a constant stream of mercs getting involved that rapidly ruined my day.

Finished the 4 mythical beast plot line,that was quite challenging. Fun though. This is definitely one of my favourite games of the series,possibly this gen as well. Still got a ton of content to get through,and I’m loving every hour of it.

1 hour ago, smallofbooty said:

If you kill a bounty hunter does that zero the bounty or does it just trigger yet more of them? I need to avoid making the situation worse!

Yeah, you can kill the person or persons that have set the bounty and that’ll zero the bounty. They should be marked on your map nearby.

If you go to kill them and make a pigs ear of it, alert the whole base or village then it can make the situation worse though ? but that’s part of the fun.

Absolutely. There were some situations where I was in a massive fight,only for even more hunters to come charging in. “Come on then,bastards,I’ll take you all on!” 

Until I realised things were rapidly spiralling out of my favour,for me to go “Change Of plan. LEG IT!”

An absolutely outstanding game. So many times I’ve been just blown away by how utterly gorgeous it looks.

• 4 weeks later...

Still chipping away at this, and still having the time of my life with it. I've decided to streamline the process, because I genuinely think there'd be 200 hours of content to get through, and I'm at about 70 already. I'm now ignoring the little shitty side missions (the grey diamonds) and just concentrating on the gold/yellow diamonds, as well as the occasional blue ones. I was saying to Sly last night, there are some really good design decisions in this instalment.

I couldn't drill it down to just one thing, it's a lot of average moments, but it feels like more than the sum of its parts.

My character, Kassandra, is a raging lesbian who only sleeps with men to get what she wants (or in one case took the opportunity to fuck 'in front of the gods' - ie she banged a dude in a temple). The amount of choice in things to do is just astounding - I set out to do a mission and end up clearing out 4-5 camps, forts, warehouses or tombs on the way. It's completely got me in tone, in gameplay, in sheer gorgeousness, everything.

I've even avoided doing ANY main missions for a good 15 hours because I didn't want the game to end too soon. Plus I have a cult to eradicate.

The addition of Greek myths was a great idea too. Cyclopses, Medusa and more are all there for the beating, and it just adds a cool little wrinkle that hasn't been in this series before.

So 75 hours in now and I've finally played around with the main missions again, but I just want to talk about one particular mission that was SO frustrating but one of the reasons I love the game so much.

I'm going to keep this as vague as possible to not give any major details away.

Ok, so you get to a point in the story where every time you step into a specific region there's a 3-star bounty on your head. It gets to a point where... (I'm keeping it vague but think this belongs in spoilers anyway)

Spoiler

You're tasked with heading to a fort in this region and killing the leader.

So off I trot on my merry way, doing my normal survey of the area, get all the pop-ups and work out where the pyre is. I then head sneak through and set a trap in the fire.

Ok, now remember that 3-star bounty on my head? Yeah a level 55 bounty hunter wades in and starts casing the joint. I keep wandering round killing off guards here and there, eventually getting spotted by this meaty fucker.

So I gets into a fight with him, then a couple of captains, then the polemarch, and a couple of minions. All at once. Then I hear the familiar deep, bassy tone that signifies a bounty hunter is near. Another bounty hunter. So I had all of the above plus this guy on my case.

THIS is what the situation looked like:

FB_IMG_1552674901876.jpg

This is after sneaking around killing off half the area first. Unsurprisingly I died. Several times. 

Even on the occasions I DID manage to end all these guys, when I finally headed for my goal I'd have another bounty hunter on my ass. Which led to a few more deaths...

Anyway, I know I've waffled on there, but the way that was all set up, the way the game scripts the bounty hunters in to fuck your day up, the freeform approach to clearing out the fort, the combat that even when I was getting repeatedly owned gave me that one more go mentality, it all combined to give one of the best gaming experiences I've had for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished after 80-some-odd hours. Outstanding game start to finish and I love how much inspiration the recent AC games have taken from The Witcher. It's still not as polished as that series, so it doesn't feel QUITE as good to play, but the blend of old-school AC and the epic RPG-style of The Witcher is an inspired decision.

Anyway, the cult has been destroyed, order has been restored and Kassandra is free to go about her life, smashing the fuck out of every woman she takes a fancy to!

• 1 month later...

Despite being an AC fan (was/currently not sure anymore ?), I tired of Origins - could I play Odyssey or are my days with AC numbered? 

Btw - ACIII gets a remaster?

Hopefully more of a total rebuild than remaster (Man, that AC game stank) 

You've got to at least try Odyssey if you liked the series @therealjaxon it's so different but so so good! It's the most complete AC in my opinion. The set pieces are still weak compared to other games but I generally find that true of every Ubi open world game, comes at the cost of the freedom the rest of the game gives you I suppose.  

As someone who doesn't really like AC in general and who thinks Origins was the biggest Triple-A snoozefest in quite a while I have to say I did (and do, still not finished) enjoy Odyssey a lot. I regularly take breaks because it's just too big to handle – I'm at 90 hours so far and still got quite a ways to go – but it's a nice mix between the freeform movement of AC and the character and story progression of RPGs. So it basically takes away the rigid exploration of western RPGs and amplifies the repetitive AC game design with a couple of extra stuff to give you more options to play with. Plus Kassandra is a really great protagonist and she looks like Wonder Woman.

So in short, even if you disliked Origins it might be worth checking this out. IMO it's way better in almost every aspect.

Hard to say if they go 'all-in' but so far I've fought a 

Spoiler

Minotaur and met the Sphinx for a short puzzle.

Also, way bigger spoiler but kind of out there thank to the Season Pass:

Spoiler

You also get to visit Atlantis, sort of, and the player character is technically a descendant of a higher pre-human creationist race. 

4 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

As someone who doesn't really like AC in general and who thinks Origins was the biggest Triple-A snoozefest in quite a while I have to say I did (and do, still not finished) enjoy Odyssey a lot. I regularly take breaks because it's just too big to handle – I'm at 90 hours so far and still got quite a ways to go – but it's a nice mix between the freeform movement of AC and the character and story progression of RPGs. So it basically takes away the rigid exploration of western RPGs and amplifies the repetitive AC game design with a couple of extra stuff to give you more options to play with. Plus Kassandra is a really great protagonist and she looks like Wonder Woman.

So in short, even if you disliked Origins it might be worth checking this out. IMO it's way better in almost every aspect.

Well if a non fan likes Odyssey then maybe I could like it.

Might sound ridiculous to say, but AC just felt it was getting too samey.

I used to like the sections out of the Animus and those could've been fleshed out/increased.

Also, I was hoping they were edging the series into the 20th century after Syndicate (that was good ?) which would've involved better weapons, locations, stories imo.

Give Odyssey a go I’d say @therealjaxon. It is of the same stock of Origins but it feels like they took that more RPG AC template and went bananas with it for this. I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say it’s probably the biggest game world ever, 130km2 or something ridiculous.

As much as I liked Origins and Bayek (something you struggled with I believe) the story, choices and character of Kassandra - please don’t play Alexios if you get it - are definitely a huge step up here.

6 hours ago, Blakey said:

Give Odyssey a go I’d say @therealjaxon. It is of the same stock of Origins but it feels like they took that more RPG AC template and went bananas with it for this. I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say it’s probably the biggest game world ever, 130km2 or something ridiculous.

As much as I liked Origins and Bayek (something you struggled with I believe) the story, choices and character of Kassandra - please don’t play Alexios if you get it - are definitely a huge step up here.

So it's a bit AC Syndicate, play as either male or female? Cool.

I did prefer playing as Evie, ?..... I'll see how much it is ?