passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Hogwarts Legacy

DisturbedSwan

Nah, this is all shady as hell:

The thread pulls quotes from IGN's review and looking at the review itself it really does not read as a 9/10 game.

It's particularly noticeable off the back of Forspoken which maybe does deserve the 6/10s or 7/10s it got and at least going by the IGN review it seems like HL should be getting similar, at least that's how it reads because it's pointing out so many issues.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but there is a thing where you can tell some outlets are conflicted over even giving this game coverage (WRT JK's 'editorials'), but cause it's destined to be one of the biggest games of the year and games' media is in such a dire predicament they kinda don't have a choice. Have principles but become unemployed cause of loss of revenue, in a line of work where jobs are disappearing and never coming back? I know what choice I'd make there tbh

But individual nitpicks like the ones above are ones that I would also make of games I extremely like. I've not read that whole review tho. But Forspoken's problem is how anemic the whole thing is, in comparison to which HP at least looks like it has tons of 'stuff' in it (run of the mill AAA type stuff by the looks of things, but something which at least gives considerable variety to the experience which is the biggest lacking thing in Forspoken)

edit reading that review my impression is it could be like a 7/10 game that becomes a 9/10 instantly by investment in the IP. One for prior fans only, maybe

I'm not saying they're paid off, @DisturbedSwan I'm not arguing with your fanboyish defensiveness again and you don't have a right to question anyone else's maturity.

I get being so into a game's world or another element enough to look over the rest of the game but I'd never expect it to review this well, that's all.  In my estimation the score doesn't match the text, that's all I'm saying.

It's just in a post BoTW, Witcher 3 and Elden Ring world to have this be considered an equal to those despite everything is pretty unserious game criticism.

But unserious game criticism is par for the course I guess around release.

Oh, and a number of prominent outlets didn't get review codes.  That's not a conspiracy.

I think it's more a grand conspiracy that the scores seem slightly higher than the narratives suggests, and if it wasn't for the IP they'd likely be lower.

Do any actual mention the roleplaying elements - does playing as each house actually progress the skills, dialogue options and events differently, or are they purely cosmetic ?

I'm not that invested in whether the game is good or not, tbh. I get most of my gaming news from resetera and they've banned talking about this thing, so I didn't even know it was out so soon. This is maybe one of two websites I visit on the internet where I get reminded it even exists. But wrt worrying how you come across Blakey I don't think you're an arse but you way over-react to people saying mildly negative things about stuff you like. I've done it too, with dmc5 for instance. So I get the impulse to tell people to give the benefit of the doubt to something and actually spend time with it before saying stuff. But you do it a lot, I don't think people are anywhere near as invested in HP's outcome as you think and are just observing things

The stuff I was saying about media coverage of the title isn't conspiracy or anything, lots of people in the business are conflicted over covering the game cause of JK's stance on trans issues but they are also losing relevance and many hands are being forced over the reality of how important SEO is to their business model. The money does actually matter here and drives what they cover, even if not necessarily the review score attached

I saw Gita Jackson in addition to who you mention say they didn't get one, I don't actually know for sure who they write for now.

I know I haven't played it, and I'm not making a personal opinion on the game, I'm observing what I felt was a weird discrepancy in the text and the score and doing some critical reading.  I don't even think it's unusual for a fan to be given the game to review, a lot of others will come to it with a similar attitude but the review read like "the game has a lot of the same issues as other mediocre open world games but I'm Harry Potter, whoop!" which okay, but 9/10?  I feel a bit silly for expecting better than that from a professional.  I'm not saying what they're saying is a "wrong" analysis, it's just useless to anyone who isn't a Harry Potter fan since it's not written in a way that makes the game sound appealing beyond that.  Should the score reflect that? I think so since it's a review on a mainstream site and not the Wizarding World Fanclub.

there's definitely a sense that the license is doing a lot of work. Whatever with the quality in the game, I don't think I've even seen a second of it being played because it's not my sort of thing. Too much magic, Potter is a Tory, it's all a bit dumb. However, there's a generation of adults who grew up with it and it means a lot to, if they were even 5 years older it really wouldn't. 

Look at Sonic Frontiers for me, I have a soft spot for Sonic, it clearly has a number of fairly serious issues, but I really enjoyed it, got the platinum and put it in my top 10. 

SNK are now owned by the Saudi Wealth Fund, fuck the saudi royal family. I still like KOF, I bought the last one then could barely bring myself to play it because I was so conflicted about it.

We've seen that people's lines shift when they care about a franchise, they'll handwave and find reasons to excuse all sorts of things. Stuff they definitely wouldn't have bought becomes really hard to say no to if it means enough to them

Actually the Gita point makes me think also, how in this case the corporate interest in HP as an IP will lead to a chilling effect on people like Gita making reviews on them for embargo, as they are vocal on gender identity issues and these companies really don't want that sort of headache.

The thing about it is, it's not as simple as "we will bribe you if you give us good scores". It's always more insidious than that. Also, this does not mean HP is a shit game! It just means that you should also read between the lines at the same time. Frankly I don't envy the task that dev studio has of being lumped with this IP with all the luggage it brings now. Tho at the same time it will sell so well that those devs should get some nice bonuses

Yeah, when it comes to shady practices it's not directly paying off reviewers I'm talking about.  That may have happened on rare occasions but they much prefer doing stuff with a lot of plausible deniability.  NDAs, blacklisting, fancy review events, being very selective with who gets the review codes and when ( looking at the metacritic this has definitely happened with HL, but it does a lot I'm not singling it out, Square tried it less successfully with Forspoken).

I try to avoid the promotional cycle of games, especially if I'm not interested in it but this has been pushed into my sphere a bit and with all the baggage around this and JKR I've been a little irked by the disingenuousness of it.  I know it's common, but still. 

• 2 weeks later...

@one-armed dwarfin what sense?

They talked about it on DF Direct the other week saying that they didn't get codes for it early and other stuff had come out, which was more why they hadn't covered it. Rich said that the way he sees it, it's not their job to comment on anything other than performance, which is kind of nonsense because they do all the time 

I don't have the image cause the tweet got deleted, but basically he got in a row with some people on twitter over whether they would cover the game or not and he called it 'kiddie shit'. I don't know, it was a bit weird and hard to tell if it was him taking a stance on the game or just really hating Potter. I like John but he's not got a great twitter filter

Anyway I'd say Rich had a word and is probably going to be covering the game by himself (assuming this will get PC coverage as apparently it's yet another rough PC port especially on nvidia)

• 2 months later...