passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Hogwarts Legacy

DisturbedSwan

My heart bleeds for him.

People choose not to buy  games for lots of different and personal reasons: It could be because of micro-transactions, mostly feature sexy ladies in a tacky way, have them not sexy enough, have jingoistic approach to war or others that aren't coming to mind right now.  Or in this case continues the work of a woman whose largely reported and shared rhetoric also lines up with people who fight to roll back access to medical services and expertise for trans people, undoing around 15 years of trans rights progress, especially in the UK.

Because of this I don't think there is any way they can control it really, except for those who are looking for an excuse to get the okay.

Worth also bearing in mind is anyone working on this is getting paid.  How well the game does may get them a bonus, but this isn't a game owned by Avalanche.  It's a gig.

Reading between the lines a bit sounds like he got a fairly healthy package and will not have to worry about references in any event. I'd expect as much to come out of that video he releases.

I was trying to think of something else to say here but it's all said very well above. Look up the origin of 'boycott', it's something what we invented here in Ireland to not give more power to a voice who will do somebody harm. 

Glad the dev has resigned, if he’d of stayed on it would’ve cast a cloud over the games release, with JKR’s TERF arse already tangentially related to the property it didn’t need anymore negative press than it will already (duly) get. 

Seemed daft blaming ‘Twitter mobs’, like thats how Twitter works and that no one outside the platform cared. I guess it doesn’t really matter :) 

I don’t even think the game looks any good ? Although having just checked there’s only been a cgi trailer. I just don’t like twats. It’s not hard to be nice to people whose opinion and lifestyles are worlds apart from your own.

Tbh I think if the 'twitter mobs' are happy enough now with the game cause the guy got canceled and left the company they've sort of missed the point here a bit.

Or maybe I've missed the point, which I think is that people could see some of their money flow into organisations with cruel intentions by buying this. Potentially. The actual thing WB should do here is probably make a big show and fuss about donating some proceeds to a trans charity or something. Not just kick a dude out (and giving him a nice severance probably). Cause that's little more than virtue signaling when they hired the guy in full knowledge of his positions and didn't seem deeply concerned except on the level of appearances when it became a problem for them.

That said I'm probably a hypocrite when it comes to things like this, I've probably bought things by terrible people (cant think right off the top of my head but I'm sure there's something). But sometimes it's good to know that going in if it's something you're ok with doing. 

Yeah, it's a poor attempt at deflection trying to take heat away from the actual issue.  Not many actually care that some YouTube faux gaming intellectual is working on the game.  I mean it's bad he got hired in the first place because he's likely either stupid and can't properly engage with problems or knows exactly that he talks shit and it's a grift.  Either case I know I wouldn't want him on my team.  It's not about not being woke even.

But no doubt lots of people in the industry are like this.  Just tossing out one from one project isn't anything really (though it be a relief to some colleagues).

for this though, he didn't bring this on himself. He didn't make a big show of working on the game, leveraging the Harry Potter name for it, people went looking for issues, found him, then turned it in to a thing. There's no evidence his views have influenced the game, even if he does seem like an idiot based on those youtube thumbnails

this seems like a bunch of people got someone fired for no reason. Hard to see them as anything other than the bad guys in this

1 minute ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

We both have Facebook vr headsets, so that's one for free

I was actually thinking of my graphics card, turns out Asus might have supply chains through Uighur work camps. Which is a fuck of a lot worse than whatever could be happening with this harry potter shit.

Who was calling for him to be fired?  I didn't see any larger serious movement for it.  I just saw people taking the piss out of him.  I don't think a few Twitter randos have that power.

It was a company trying to scrape for some brownie points.

I never thought I'd see a pro gamer-gater and anti-feminist donkey be defended here and made to sound like he was bullied out of a job. I'm quite perplexed by it. But I'll also not spend another second on that clown.

21 hours ago, mmmark said:

I never thought I'd see a pro gamer-gater and anti-feminist donkey be defended here and made to sound like he was bullied out of a job. I'm quite perplexed by it. But I'll also not spend another second on that clown.

I concur.

I don't think anyone's defending his views, just saying people scrabbling around that studios employees just to find something to be outraged about isn't cool. He's lost his job because of this, why? What had he done that meant he deserved that?

One of the worst things about it is it gives fuel to the kind of people who demonise the left

18 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

One of the worst things about it is it gives fuel to the kind of people who demonise the left

And that's the point.  Boyo here is going back to his YouTube channel, rubbing his hands with his new found notoriety.  But it was completely manufactured.  No one of any note gave a shit about him.

IMO they should probably look at demonising his employers then. Also IMO this whole thing is like walking into a minefield and being surprised when something bad happens, when you go on social media and proclaim that WB are a cool employer cause they don't go on social justice crusades or whatever. It's weirdly easy to draw a line between your professional persona and whatever shock jock shit this guy was on, where from what I see most of his channel is fairly nasty minded bullying rubbish. Where if I were the target of such nonsense I'd appreciate knowing about it if their work is something I could be buying. If this guy is out there putting videos out saying people are being a bunch of performative victims (which he is doing, you can find those videos easy enough), well why should those groups care if that guy gets sacked. I wouldn't blame anyone who's not exactly brimming in compassion for a dude like that.

It's up to people themselves to figure out what they want to do with that information, it's not fake news or under lock and key. You can watch those videos, they're even demonitized so you can watch them guilt free in a way. It just happens here that what WB decided to do with this info is unburden themselves of a potential nuisance. 

When the Suicide Squad guy got fired (I don't remember his name now) people were quick to target Disney over it. Anyway left v right polarisation is a genie that wont' be going back into its bottle for a very long time. It sort of reminds me of the calls for 'unity' from repubs in the US while they continue to elevate nonsense about the election being fraudulent, there's a crisis of knowledge there that can't be fixed. I don't even think the left are completely blameless about it either but I do think the right are far far worse about it.