passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Hogwarts Legacy

DisturbedSwan

I just kinda feel sorry for the devs of this game that have clearly been working on it for a while before Rowling disgusted the young folk and want fuck all to do with anything she's tangentially involved with now.  Oops.

It may have been up for interpretation at some point but now who wants to hang out in a world of anti-Semitism and transphobia?

Really don’t get the love here. I don’t actively hate on potter or anything but as a game if this wasn’t that franchise what’s to like exactly?

I’ve re watched the trailer and there’s bugger all to it. No-ious will play-ious ? 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tbh, that's a blip in the ocean. They also constrained cyberpunk chat and I don't think I saw that get commented on anywhere really but then the technical problems of that game became the main focus point over any issues of representation*. They're a big site without lots of influence but they do get lots of insiders on there.

A thing I've been thinking about with this guy, I've been doing interviews recently and some companies will put to you what you think about diversity/inclusion/belonging etc. It's supposed to be a landmine the idea of which if you're the kind of dick head who can't help dropping red pills you will ideally red flag yourself at that early stage and disqualify your application. It's an invitation to show them if you're going to be a problem should you get that job

With this guy you can say 'he is just one voice in the organisation' but he is also a very high up and powerful one as a lead designer who's probably responsible for how candidates are screened, so that becomes an influence on the type of culture that gets cultivated.

*tbh having played it I didn't think CP2077 was particularly offensive outside of that one weird 'mix it up' advert. There was a cool trans character in the game too, probably just put in there to address criticism but it's something I guess.

I thought that was an internal communication from the publisher for a second. Resetera have banned talking about all kinds of games before, I don't think this is particularly out of character. I wouldn't be surprised if the dev team wouldn't prefer them not to be talking about it anyway with what they'd say about it ?

I guess it's time for a new witch hunt, the Carano thing is over a week old now after all.

Dwarf arguably makes a good point but that's still not reason enough for some pandemic-born boredom to lead to people digging up "dirt" from random people around the world to publicly shame them. It's disgusting. Live and let live. I might not agree with everything that guy ever said in his life but I hope he can keep his job. Unless I'm missing something and he's being a toxic boss towards female employees for example but as far as I can tell nothing of the sort has been said. If it's just what he's said on his youtube channel years ago, we really have bigger problems in the world than that.

Anyway, still looking forward to the game. 

Well he's definitely going to keep his job and there's no danger of that if WB judged he wasn't a bad culture fit*. I think that this isn't about that necessarily, more like how this bias may get reflected in the way the game itself is made and stances it takes . Maybe, I don't know. I said before I don't really click into those threads not because I'm not bothered by them or don't agree in principal but more I'd rather not agonise over how a post would be interpreted and get 100+alerts on my phone

edit I realise there's some context missing here actually, the guy himself came out and said that WB know about his channel and are totally fine with it, this is circa 2018

edit2 actually I went on that thread now and saw this

• The one Irish character is named Seamus Finnegan and is constantly blowing shit up

?

3 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

How much influence does ResetEra even have? I don't mean that in a snarky way particularly. Do they have any sway in anything? I thought they were a forum much like ourselves (but bigger I guess?)

Not a lot, I think it's more of a symbolic gesture that discussion for games that have toxic individuals as part of the development team won't be given a platform to be talked about and promoting on gaming's biggest forum. 

1 hour ago, Maryokutai said:

I guess it's time for a new witch hunt, the Carano thing is over a week old now after all.

Well yeah, when you put a post on your instagram stories equating conservatives in LA to Jews in 1933 that's an easy way to get the sack. No one dug that up, she proudly put that on her instagram stories, it wasn't an old post or anything people had to dig up, she's just a moron who couldn't keep her mouth shut.

People like Chris Pratt are (probably) shitty people (attends a homophobic church in LA) but they have the decency to keep their mouth shut and their views to themselves cause they know it would harm their career if they spoke out otherwise. Carano spread some anti-vax, anti-trans stuff in the past too that was equally as idiotic, good riddance. 

It's ironic because the Gamergate/Anti-'SJW' YouTuber crowd were originally annoyed with Lucasfilm including Carano as she was 'appealing to the SJWs for being a woman' or some nonsense, those same YTers are now defending her and decrying 'cancel culture'. 

I think the last thing I want to see is this dude get fired.  The victim complex these people have is off the chart and making a martyr out of him will be tiring to see.

It doesn't bode well for the game anyway.  If his approach to game design is similar to his approach to making these videos which are lazy and uninsightful then I'm sure it will be totally worth playing.  Likely he'll continue to fail upwards.