passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Moss

DisturbedSwan

Played around 2 hours of this earlier.

I pre-ordered this on PS4 ages ago but never got around to playing it for whatever reason, with a small gap between finishing SotTR and AC:OD on Tuesday I have time to go back to a few small games and play through them so this is one of the first that came to mind.

It's a PSVR title so unfortunately no one without the headset will be able to experience it but I thought I'd write about my experiences nonetheless. I should mention that I have - briefly - played it already as it was included in the PSVR Demo Disc #2 at the beginning of the year, I was so impressed with it then which is why I picked it up.

The game is told in a fantasy storybook kind of way with you as the 'reader' looking in on the events of Quill's story. You play as Quill, a small charming Mouse from a leafy mouse kingdom. Everything is jolly at first and the vibrant opening area is a real treat for the eyes but this being a game things predictably take a turn for the worse and Quill must set out on an adventure that will leave the comforts of her home world and take her to some of the other dark, dangerous regions dotted about in her world.

You look in on Quill's world as the 'reader' seeing her scamper about in various diorama-like stages with a page turning sound playing when you get to the next diorama in a chapter. You play with a controller - as opposed to the wands or other input devices - and directly control Quill, but you can also interact with various movable objects in a stage using the light bar at the front of the DS4 controller. 

The way the game plays early on is a relatively simple puzzle platformer where you have to move blocks, staircases and other objects onto buttons so Quill can proceed into the next room. They do quickly become more difficult though with multi-room solutions, turning switches on and off and manipulating enemies into a position using your 'reader' power. All stuff we've seen before really but the feel to Quill, her animations as she scampers about and how lifelike she is draw you in and the feel of controlling her, manipulating enemies and obstacles blocking her way feels really tactile and nice to pull off.

The combat is the only thing I'm not sure about yet. It's relatively simple featuring a sword hit on Square and a dodge on X but it is quite a bit more challenging than I was expecting and am worried that it may become a crutch later on. but it does make it way more satisfying to clear a room of enemies than I was expecting from a game like this. The enemy variety has surprised me with one marksman type, one melee type and one that will follow you everywhere and blow you up with Goo if you're not careful. 

There's scrolls to pick up whilst you're exploring too, placed in some reasonably difficult locations that really makes you think for a few minutes how you get up to it, which keeps you on your toes and looking at every angle of the diorama possible so you don't miss anything.

So, so far I'm very impressed with it, it hasn't blown me away or anything but it's a great charming little platformer on an unusual platform 

Finished this earlier, only took me another 75 minutes to finish. Just over 3 hours total.

I don't have an awful lot to add as the game kind of ran out of ideas after Wednesday's session, I expected the puzzles to get harder and the combat to get more intense but it seems it had already come to a climax on that front as things got easier and simpler puzzles and combat scenarios ensued.

There's this fantastic final level where they differ up the formula a bit and you're chased by this frightening creature and it really is quite something to behold and experience in VR but then you defeat this creature which feels incredibly satisfying and the game just kind of peters out.

It's one of the weirdest endings I've ever experienced, you reach your objective you've been getting to the entire game and then the game just kind of ends with a 'this is the end of Book 1, go home and rest for the journey is not over yet' so you think this is just the end of the first Act but then the credits start rolling and I was like WTF, that's it? 

Seriously underwhelming and it dampened my thoughts a little on the game as a whole as a result. Nevertheless it's still a charming, entertaining puzzle-platformer that I definitely highly recommend if you've got a PSVR headset but like many PSVR games it's not worth picking the system up for, particularly with its short length. 

• 3 months later...

I can't say I agree fully with this (at least the underwhelming part)...I was positively whelmed :D

This was for several reasons I think. I only had modest expectations on the duration of the game and bought it in the sale (I wouldn't have been happy paying full whack for sure). It was also techinally an Xmas gift, which my wife researched as the game to buy me (which is very rare, she hasn't done that since the PS3 days!).

I'd also looked at the trophy list, so guessed this was only a first instalment (of which we may never see a second!). I've certainly got more mileage than the 3-4 hour-ish run time as I've been actively chasing those trophies (which I rarely can be bothered with)...not sure if I can face the no death playthrough though.

Oh...and Astro Bot. I'd already played the demo before Xmas and knew this would blow it away, so I made sure I didn't start that fully until I'd played Moss first!

• 11 months later...

I've been playing this, I like it, but I can certainly see Blakey's complaint that it never quite kicks on. No idea how much I've got left, I've still got another door in the frog's realm to do, but I've only had a couple of fights I thought were intense, and that was because one carried on throwing enemies at me longer than I expected, the other did the same but that was because I hadn't worked out the puzzle. 

I like the character of the game, the mouse is really well animated. I hate that I have to high five them to move on though, I don't high five people in real life, doing it to a fictional mouse isn't my bag 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished this the other day and really enjoyed it. It does get more interesting as it goes on, it also seems to recognise that VR isn't that reliable and doesn't ask too much of you or the controls. That's not to say I had no issues, but a shake of the controller to force the Playstation to work out where it was again seemed to fix things 

One thing that shouldn't be understated is what a good job they do of making it feel like a kids story. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little too difficult for young children but it does have the feel of a kids film. 

I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen any news of the 2nd one yet, I suppose this year coming is about the right time. I hope they make it a little longer