passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Arena of Valor

HandsomeDead

I don't really know how to give impressions on this game since it belongs in the MOBA genre and they are usually those Computer Games.  You know the kind; billions play them but you never see them out in the street, irl.  I guess they're inside, playing their Computer Games all the time.  I should tell the press about them.  Who knows what other degenerative stuff they get up to *shudders*

But this one is on Switch as well so it must be cool and not have people who write things (((like this))) for some reason.

Anyway!  The game itself.

I think I like it.  Its made by a large Chinese tech company that bought Riot Games, responsible for League of Legends, and from what I've read it feels like that to play.  It's designed for mobile so matches are a lot shorter.  Around ten minutes.  As I understand it a LoL or DOTA match can approach an hour(?)  I could easily be wrong.

The general impression I've always had of MOBAs is they are pretty much competitive Diablo from my perspective.  You deal with that kind of gameplay, defeating other players and dealing with simple objectives that level you up on a game by game basis.  Thankfully you can set it to be pretty automatic.  Levelling up skills can be done automatically and buying better equipment can easily be done by setting an upgrade route and things get purchased as the money comes in.

I can't put me finger on it at the moment; it's all quite new to me, but I do find the game compelling and I'm certainly into while in a match.

I absolutely dominated on my first game, but I suspect it was everyone's first game and they didn't pay as much attention to the UI as me, because they weren't upgrading shit and just got slaughtered by me.  In my second game, we won, but I wasn't dominating at all.  To be honest, I solo'd the middle lane in that game and I think I held it pretty well.  None of our towers got destroyed and they were double teaming me a lot.  My stats didn't look good but that middle lane was barely touched.  I still think I'm the best MOBA player.

I still don't know what I'm doing.

Sometimes I'm MVP.  Sometimes I'm the idiot the others roll their eyes at.  I generally take in the same strategy but it can have wildly different results.

I went on to YouTube to find some tips but all I got was either people more clueless than me or MOBA veterans playing at 1000 mph spouting jargon.  Okay so "Jungling" is a thing and that is how you do it in 6 mins but what are the steps and specifics of "Jungling"?  I can't find out.  And it doesn't teach you, either.

And I can't find any good writings on it.  No-one I follow plays it and none of the outlets I like have covered it.  It's one of the most popular games in the world, statistically.

So I guess I'll just stumble through and accidently be good or bad.  I mean, I do generally enjoy the moment to moment gameplay so maybe I'll just have to experiment more to figure out all the systems and mechanics.

There is something I kinda hate.  This game is very High Fantasy, in an Asian way, as in it's an Asian take on Western fantasy.  But, for some reason, in the localisation they've thrown in a load of pop culture references.  I get it in a game like Fortnite; it's modern, colourful and irreverent.  But when my fantastical shark brute starts quoting Captain Phillips I just want to turn the sound off.

53 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Okay so "Jungling" is a thing and that is how you do it in 6 mins but what are the steps and specifics of "Jungling"?  I can't find out.  And it doesn't teach you, either.

And I can't find any good writings on it.  No-one I follow plays it and none of the outlets I like have covered it.  It's one of the most popular games in the world, statistically.

I’ve never played this so I can only tell you what jungling is in League and assume it’s the same in this.

So junglers are players who roam the jungles of the map in between the 3 lanes. Their prime job is to gank players who operate in the 3 lanes and build up XP and Gold by defeating some of the enemies that frequent the jungle so that when the team fighting phase happens late on in a match they can pwn. (Ganking is like a sneaky flank kill on an enemy in a lane out of the undergrowth - sometimes in partnership with your laner in said lane - or drawing a player into the jungle then ambushing them for the kill.)

A jungler is also responsible for warding key areas of the jungle so team mates have vision there and helping to take out the timed neutral mini-bosses (or alert team mates if the enemy is trying to do so) that frequent the jungle and give certain perks to their team. Usually one of these neutral mini-bosses will spawn about 5 minutes or so after the game gets going, LoL usually starts with the Rift Herald and ends with the Baron (who can turn the tide of games massively) with Drakes inbetween. 

3 hours ago, DifferentClass said:

Yeah, I figured that kind of thing is what it is for the most part, except for helping with vision.  Is there some fog of war mechanic in LoL? because you can see everything in AoV (except from people hiding in a brush). 

Yeah there's a fog of war mechanic in LoL.

• 2 weeks later...

After over ten hours I think I may tap out of this for a while.

All the other curious people seem to have gone and all that's left are people who know how to play these games.  Or at least people who know how to exploit certain characters.

It seems ranged characters are very strong.  I'm lead to believe the game got better balanced in later updates on PC and mobile but the Switch version is a much earlier patch.  Dunno why that is, maybe they wanted to balanced from the ground up for the Switch but it just means at the moment if you're not using a ranged character then good luck.

But I'm willing to come back after a balance patch because I was having a pretty good time.