passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

DisturbedSwan

• 4 weeks later...

The Forge is now out, it was £3.99 so i plumped up and downloaded. Gonna play through naaaaaaah.

One thing I will say about SotTR, the controls are fairly intuitive. Havent played for a couple of months and everything did as I expected.

@Nag

SotTR DLC1.jpg

Three for just completing it, then you can pick the DLC Tomb from the main menu and Score/Time Attack it. Score is easy if you string together a 60 combo from the beginning but I found the Time attack a proper pain in the cunt, the Tomb isn't logical, it's trial and error so it's just remembering the correct order.

• 4 weeks later...

Just received this from Boomerang. I absolutely loved the previous two games,despite them being my only experience of the series to date. 

It looks stunning,so I look forward to balancing this with Yakuza Kiwami 2. I hear this has more tombs to explore than the previous games. I proper suck at puzzles,so they may be a challenge lol

They definitely make you think more than the previous two games, this one has a whole different feel to this games too in my opinion.

I'll go back to this for a tidy up at some point but I think I'll just wait until all the dlc drops and cane the whole lot.

Put a few more hours into this since finishing Kiwami 2,and thus far it’s creating a very good impression. Muddying up,Arnie in Predator style,and stealth killing people is a right laugh. And it’s good that playing the previous games rewards you with various cosmetic unlocks. I laughed at the old-school PS1 era one,kudos.

The tombs I’ve found thus far have said I can’t access them yet. But I like how it specifically tells you that you’re lacking gear,and what that gear is.

Oh,and it goes without saying that the game looks absolutely stunning. But yeah,it’s been jaw dropping so far.

This is cheap at GreenManGaming atm so I picked it up, there's also a demo now on Steam so I think they're having a bit of a push for sales 

It's not bad so far, the following the story antagonist bot around while almost getting caught has been done to death but it's a good looking one of those. I quite like that so far the story feels like an attack on the protagonist, but it's a bit confused about how it goes about it 

Lara is criticised for being self-centered and self-serving enough to cause death and destruction for her cause, but also that she's self-centered enough to believe she caused a natural disaster. It was weird. Aside from that it seems fine and familiar 

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

Fucking christ, the kid Lara section might be the most bored I've ever been 

Yea, that was dogshit.

Have you met Abby yet? She annoyed the shit out of me.

Spoiler

Lives in a poor village in the middle of nowhere, has “cool” clothes and covered in tattoos. I wanted to punch the developers in the face at that point.

25 minutes ago, illdog said:

Yea, that was dogshit.

Have you met Abby yet? She annoyed the shit out of me.

Hide contents

Lives in a poor village in the middle of nowhere, has “cool” clothes and covered in tattoos. I wanted to punch the developers in the face at that point.

yep, she just assumed Lara and Jonnah aren't together and starts flirting with him right in front of us. What. A. Bitch ? 

That whole village is weird, it's in the middle of the jungle, no one has mentioned a plane crashing 500 metres away, nor the gun shots of militia getting killed, and there's also multinationals using the village like it's Hong Kong or something.

There's a line from a villager too where she asks Lara if she's a tourist, Lara says no, she's an explorer. The lady says, that's a shame, tourists spend money, archaeologists just take. It's another example of the game calling out Lara, and the player, but then making you do that stuff anyway, it's really odd. As is the idea of tourists, how many tourists are spending money in villages in the Peruvian jungle?

So,I was hiding on a wall,all muddied up. A guard rocks up,so i stealth killed him,dropping his body right near my hiding spot. 

Guard #2 sees his corpse,goes “one of us has fallen”,and comes to investigate,with me still being in the same hiding spot. Stab. Onto his mate goes his corpse. 

Guard #3 does the same,and so on. Until I’ve cleared an area out completely.

”Where did she go?” Hmm. Maybe close by to the massive pile of corpses,mate. Why not come over and check,eh?

00BE5081-7451-4806-BA1E-6928E5D08033.jpeg

This is such an odd game, it's like it's made by people who really didn't want to make a Tomb Raider game, which might actually be true. There's loads of moments where Lara is called out, but because it's a Tomb Raider game you have to do it anyway. I couldn't give less of a shit about the story and largely I think that's down to the game rather than me, it's very much 1 point, bad guys bad, and the problem with that is all the stuff along the way is easy to brush off because they aren't the end goal. Which is exactly the attitude Lara gets criticised for at the start of the game, but then her and Jonah do at the half way point

I do like some of the side missions, not mechanically, but there's clearly been some thought put in to them as stories, it's not always just "get me some herbs"

I've just done the bit where it gets all Apocalypse Now, which is kind of the third time they've done that. As cynical and undeserved as it is, the look and droning music, and being able to let loose is pretty cool. It might be the best version of it in the series, even if the one in the first game is the smartest version of it

The combat is weird, reading through the thread it seems like most people have had the same thought. There's really not much of it so far, and when there is the balance is off. Enemies rush you, the stealth sections aren't as easy as in previous games, Lara goes down quick, but some enemies can take multiple shotgun blasts to the face. It's a really odd game

I do like the way they keep contriving reasons for Jonah to go missing too

One of the stealth sections,around the “Apocalypse Now” moment I think you’re referring to,was extremely annoying. Having no weapons,and getting gunned down pretty quickly was a chore. But what made even less sense,is the way she didn’t bother picking up any of the guns that those enemies had. Machine gun? Nah. Shotgun. Nope. 

It was ridiculous. Took far too long to get your weapons back. And all the time I kept thinking “for fuck’s sake,pick one of their guns up,you dozy mare!”