Sign in to follow this  
Nag

Marvel's Spider-Man

Put another 8 hours in since my last post, 12 total.

It’s grown on me a little more since my last post but I’m still not exactly bowled over by it.

After all the collectibles dried up I’ve continued with the story missions a bit and they have managed to impress me quite a bit. I do find the Peter Parker segments a little dull at times but they’re fun enough and it is cool just role playing as Pete and taking in the vibe and scenery of places like the lab and FEAST centre. We never got to see the duality of Batman in the Arkham games so to see that duality with the character in this is very interesting to seeand brings some much needed exposition. 

The first MJ segment was way better than I was expecting as well. I thought it would be some janky-ass insta-death stealth section which would’ve been incredibly frustrating but it wasn’t like that at all and I loved every bit of it. I found the investigation intriguing and engaging and I really loved the sleuthing involved, probably one of my favourite elements of the game so far.

Some more side missions opened up which have been a little better as well where you research different environmental issues around the city. I expected these to be relatively rote but they’ve all been quite varied and fun. They’ve had me chasing pigeons with a spider-bot which was pretty mad and other mad bits and pieces with cellular phone waves and stuff so it’s been a nice distraction.

So yeah, it’s growing on me a little more but the traversal and combo are the only real standouts with the story missions showing some promise, more next week.

Put some more time into this over the weekend and today, now about 19 hours in.

It’s taken a hell of a long time but I’m very happy to say that has FINALLY got its hooks in me and begun to live up to the hype.

The side missions and collectibles are still pretty mediocre but I finished Act 1 of the story earlier and I was just in awe at what I’ve seen, hats off to Insomniac, I really didn’t think they had it in them but the sequence I just played blew my fucking socks off and was a Naughty Dog level of cinematic excellence I never thought I’d see from them - particularly in a Spidey game.

The E3 2017 sequence was pretty damn special to play. It plays out a little differently than it did then and is a bit longer but goddamn is it fun the play but it’s the sequence after which really was magnificent in every regard.

It helps I’m buying into the characters that much more as the story goes on, the duality of Peter, his relationship with MJ and Aunt May is just so well realised, voiced and acted, it really is a tremendous achievement.

Some pics:

92612464-3F5D-43F9-9013-E521DA778E9B.jpeg

31342CFE-1979-41EA-8A5B-C40FF452EF40.jpeg

4480BE9D-55DF-4C3C-886D-4E4E7EC46645.jpeg

Spoiler

4B68E0D1-89D7-4E89-86AB-1324BAD1BE79.jpeg

After Monday's session I was really looking forward to getting back into this yesterday but unfortunately it didn't go to plan :(

I did a few more story missions which weren't exactly spectacular but still good nonetheless then unlocked a new side mission type so of course me being me I had to drop everything and concentrate on those side missions until completion for the rest of the session and it was honestly so incredibly dull. I guess it's my own fault for going for the 100% and maybe I should drop that goal and just enjoy the game but damn I was just so so bored with these particular ones, they had a little bit of variety to them at least but I just found them so tedious, glad they're over with now and I can just get back to the rest of the game.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I don't exactly love the Arkham Predator-style missions either. They've been done to death in AC, Arkham, Middle-Earth, Horizon and probably countless other games that I'm forgetting about that seeing them in this and used quite frequently makes the story mission variety drag a bit at times when they're not reaching the cinematic heights.

I forgot to post the photo on Monday but one of the side quests I did previously had you taking photos of QR codes from certain angles, I shit you not that I thought I was back playing the original Watch Dogs for a moment :lol: 

For all its huge positives I don't think I'll be able to forgive the appalling side missions come the end of the game, even if the story is as spectacular as I'm expecting it to be I still don't think it will be enough for a GOTY nomination for me.

Seriously, mix it up... Trying to 100 percent each district at the expense of story missions will hurt the the game more than anything. As far as I know nothings missable in that regards anyway, there's always post game.👍

I had a good session on this over Monday, something happened that made the game feel a lot like Arkham Knight (minus the Batmobile thank fuck), it's also made the City a much more dangerous place. I still absolutely love the swinging, it's one of the few games where I've barely touched fast travel, the combat is still as fun as ever... Probably more so now that I've opened up gadgets and moves (I've unlocked the entire skill tree)... There's something immensely satisfying about smacking someone in the head with a manhole cover.

Anyway, I'm in act 3 now, no idea how long is left to go but I know I'll be sad when it comes to a close... Excellent game.PS Communities_20180918_014559.jpgPS Communities_20180918_014622.jpgPS Communities_20180918_014636.jpg

I've kind of been avoiding commenting on this thread. Not sure why, but here we are.

Anyway, I've been playing it on and off since release, I'm up to the part where you unlock the...

Spoiler

Black Cat

...side missions.

I'm just taking my time with it, seeing the sights (literally. I've got all the proper landmarks plus 4 of the 50 secret ones), picking up backpacks, fighting crimes, being a spectacular Spider-Man from start to finish. It's a lot of fun. I'm genuinely enjoying it. It feels like the kind of game you can just switch on, turn your brain off and swing about town, see what catches your eye. It's similar to the feeling GTA V gives you, where you don't have to play it with an aim, you can just wind down and do 'stuff'. If it had a radio it'd be an incredibly relaxing experience for me.

I'm enjoying the story though. Feels like typical superhero ridiculousness, and like @Blakey mentioned, I'm loving the relationship between PP and MJ.

One thing I really dislike though - the car chases. I just can't get a decent technique down for them.

Not really got much else to say right now, but just wanted to throw in that, for once, I'm playing a new release!

Up to 29 hours played now and it's back in my good books.

There hasn't really been any side missions available - as I've done them all - so I've just been mainlining the story and the missions have been pretty damn good. There's a few great ones which explore the relationship between Peter and another character from both perspectives and the MJ and Peter relationship has gotten better and better, there's one mission where you play as MJ and pretty much order Spidey to take down folks and it really was magical how both their play styles play off one another and intersect. 

I also played through the level from the E3 2018 demo which made my eyes pop out my head but the actual mission itself did feel a little more on rails at times than I was expecting but it was still pretty damn fantastic, it does feel a tiny bit disappointing that both the hugely impressive incredibly cinematic missions so far have both been shown at E3 and ruined in a certain regard but they're luckily they're still damn fun to play and experience 1st hand.

After the end of Act 2 some more side missions have opened up so I've now got to get all the districts to 100% by doing the crimes and remaining side missions, then finish the story and the Platinum will be mine :D

Think I'm closing in on the end now, four of the Sinister Six are down (and were surprisingly good boss fights) and all districts are at 100% completion... I honestly can't fault the game, it's been an absolute joy to play through and unless something catastrophic happens at the finale this will easily be my game of the year so far.. 

Unless I'm missing the mark completely I can already see where we're heading for a sequel.

PS Communities_20180920_004830.jpg

I've really not clicked with this the way I'd hoped. I'm not not enjoying it, but I feel like I'm going through the motions a bit, there's certainly nothing I'd rave about.

I know it's not a competition, but so far I easily prefer the first 2 Arkham games (and possibly Origins) to it

I finished about half an hour ago, took me roughly 32 hours to get to 100% completion and the Platinum.

DntVqUNXsAINpyq.jpg

Overall it's a very good game and I still feel conflicted by my score as the story is masterfully executed throughout which tempted me into scoring it higher due to the incredible adrenaline pumping highs and emotional lows throughout Peter/Spidey's journey but ultimately the dull and repetitive side missions come back to haunt it as an overall package.

I do think too that it sticks a little too closely to the Arkham formula and needed to innovate more in some areas but ultimately if the formula works and you can transplant it from that series and execute it as phenomenally well as Insomniac have done in this then it is a great first attempt.

9 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

I've really not clicked with this the way I'd hoped. I'm not not enjoying it, but I feel like I'm going through the motions a bit, there's certainly nothing I'd rave about.

I know it's not a competition, but so far I easily prefer the first 2 Arkham games (and possibly Origins) to it

I think a lot of my feelings stem from liking Spidey a hell of a lot more than Bats, it's that simple... The fact that they've nailed Spider-Mans quirks quite so well cements the game for me.

@Nag yeah, the best bits have been the bits that feel like the movies. He's not especially funny as a character, but they've not made him too sneery and he's not annoying

There's been a few instances were the game got an actual lol from me... And it's a fine line when going for comedy in games, this falls on the right side.

Oh, forgot to say... Gotta love the PS4 screenshot timing...🤣🤣

Well, finished this yesterday... Loved the ending so the game remains my favourite of the year (by some margin too).

It's true that the backend is boss fight heavy but I liked all of them for different reasons and they looked spectacular. The ending didn't go exactly as I figured especially the end credits cutscenes so we'll see where they run with that but for me at least, this is the superhero game that all others get judged against.

PS Communities_20180922_180855.jpg

Loved these two...😁

On 22/09/2018 at 17:33, Nag said:

Oh, forgot to say... Gotta love the PS4 screenshot timing...

It does that more often than not. Stupid feature really. 

I guess I'm glad they're there just to break up the game a bit, but the stealth sections are pretty bad. 

Also I'm terrible at the challenges, so unlocking all the suits is going to be an arse

Unless you've spunked a load of challenge points on gadget upgrades bronze and silver's are all you need... and the combat challenges are a piece of piss to get silver on.

To be fair all the challenges are easy enough to get silvers on, you just need to keep trying and work out the optimal route. Get silver/gold on stealth is easily my favourite type of challenge, the enemies don't change their route so once you work out the best way to take them out you feel like an absolute stealth monster. 

I've really struggled with them but ive just done a drone one that I felt I'd fuckedup and still got a silver so it might not be too bad. I think I've got 1 more gadget to unlock and 3 or 4 more suits (but they need 4 challenge tokens each). Shouldbe doable with what I've got left but I'll need a few silvers