passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel's Spider-Man

spatular

Finished the DLC. I definitely think it’s the best one of the 3 however this is the 4th time around on this kind of side content so even though the main missions (Of which there are very few, this might be 2 hours tops if you just do those) are really strong, the side content, although not especially bad is just worn down to it’s thinnest. The costumes as well are also underwhelming this time around.

A nice little bow on Spider-Man PS4, though. All I have left to do is get the new game+ trophy and beat it on it’s hardest difficulty for all the trophies. Which I will do but maybe next year.

Got a lot of respect for what Insomniac achieved with this game. It’s been a very long time since we’ve had a good Spidey game. The combat was always interesting and fun.

I listened to one of the MFG podcasts where Sly wondered if they were going to make the suits DLC content. Mercifully that turned out not to be the case,making them achievable by actions in game. Like things used to be,before micro transactions got greedy.

Hell,even the Season Pass was reasonably priced. Most games these charge at least £30 for those bloody things. I had no issue paying £15 (actually £11,as I got it when on sale), as from what the main game gave me,I knew they were good for it.

I definitely put this above Red Dead 2 in “game of the year” category,as this was consistently fun. Something that RD often forgot,for the sake of realism. 

My only criticism was I hated the MJ stealth missions,but thankfully they were few,and short.

Just a fantastic game,really.

It really is an absolute joy to play. Totally reminded me of swinging about and enjoying the classic Spider-Man 2. 

There’s Fast Travel in the game,but apart from doing it to get the trophy,I never felt I needed it. As you bumped into random crimes to earn tokens to go towards new suits. And got to listen to J Jonah Jameson’s “podcast”, which was often genuinely hilarious.

And even with the various puzzles that cropped up,they’d give you the option to skip it,without penalising you. Which I did frequently,as I suck at puzzles.

The combat may initially have been compared to Batman Arkham,but it felt more developed,with tons of variety. 

It rarely put a foot wrong from start to finish. 

Silver Lining finished. It was much better than Turf Wars, but I preferred The Heist.

If I'm honest I'm glad it's over. I'm bored of fighting countless hordes of copy pasted thugs in high tech armour, so as much as I enjoyed the story and a the side stories the combat has become boring. And I'm annoyed that Screwball wasn't killed off in a horrific accident.

I haven't got 100% yet, weirdly the Hammerhead city missions weren't triggering while I was swinging around the city doing everything else and I can't be bothered swing around looking for them now the story is over. At least not today. I'm sure I'll finish it in a couple of weeks. 

I'm excited for the sequel, But I hope that Insomniac realise that making something interesting and challenging requires more work than just swarming the player with stronger armoured enemies again. 

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up the DLC today as it's on sale so gives me a good excuse to get back into this.  Found the combat took quite a long time to click, to the point where I nearly stopped playing but once it did I really enjoyed it.

Got the DLC aswell. I'll take more story content in this. Maybe I'll play it now it's actually out and I'm already playing it ?

It's real good fun swinging around. Getting the hang of it. I want to slap onto the side of a building sometimes but he often ends up just falling to the ground in a not-very-elegant-agile-spidey-fashion ? ill figure it. 

I feel like I'm a quarter into the campaign (says so in the progress screeny) but nothing much has kicked off yet. 

C'moooon. Gimme the big baddies. Kapow! Whack! Bang! *Spizzzz* ?️???️?

About 50% through the campaign now according to the mission screen. 

Spoiler

Looks like the classic baddies will be making an appearance soon. Doc Oc has been realised and I'm assuming those in the Raft aren't their for fun. 

Like Batman, Spidey has a great cast of Villains. I'm thinking of some real classics that aren't in this. Look forward to the sequel ?

But yeah it's been a real joy. I've kinda ignored the splooge of collectible tat. Just picked up bits as and when. I don't feel like I'm struggling. A part of me just wants to stay in the first Spidey outfit and ignore the suit abilities. Silly maybe. Hmm. 

Finished the main campaign. Just realised it's feckin 2 am!! Got good at the end so just carried on ?

Really good. You can tell the Arkham influences, which is littered throughout. It has its own style though and makes it its own. Like Arkham I think Insomniac have done a cracking job bringing Spidey alive. Hands down one of the most fun travel mechanics in a game that I can remember. 

I moved straight onto the DLC. I think I might leave Black Cat till last, not sure I even can or if I should, story wise ? I have a soft spot (or hard one - waheeey ?) for her, so I'd like to savour it. 

• 3 weeks later...

5 and a half years too late I've finally developed a bit of affection for my PS4. I've had the bugger since infamous second son came out but have only played a handful of games since then. But my last few games on the system have been bone fide masterpieces (God of war, Resi 2) and they have somewhat reignited my enthusiasm for sit down gaming (the last 5 years have been all about 3ds and Switch for me).

In respect of the above preamble I've found myself searching thru lists of the best of the PS4. I don't play FPSs, and the few games I've played on the console are the usual AAA suspects, Uncharted, Witcher 3 etc. So I've grabbed a few of the other highest rated games, and Spidey is near the top of most lists.

Played the opening sequence and, feckin' hell, this isn't messing around. How many combat inputs am I supposed to remember in the first ten minutes of this sumbitch? By the time I'd taken down the first boss my head was spinning. Seriously thinking about doing all that again to get a bit of a better grasp on the controls.