passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel's Spider-Man

spatular

Up to 29 hours played now and it's back in my good books.

There hasn't really been any side missions available - as I've done them all - so I've just been mainlining the story and the missions have been pretty damn good. There's a few great ones which explore the relationship between Peter and another character from both perspectives and the MJ and Peter relationship has gotten better and better, there's one mission where you play as MJ and pretty much order Spidey to take down folks and it really was magical how both their play styles play off one another and intersect. 

I also played through the level from the E3 2018 demo which made my eyes pop out my head but the actual mission itself did feel a little more on rails at times than I was expecting but it was still pretty damn fantastic, it does feel a tiny bit disappointing that both the hugely impressive incredibly cinematic missions so far have both been shown at E3 and ruined in a certain regard but they're luckily they're still damn fun to play and experience 1st hand.

After the end of Act 2 some more side missions have opened up so I've now got to get all the districts to 100% by doing the crimes and remaining side missions, then finish the story and the Platinum will be mine :D

I've really not clicked with this the way I'd hoped. I'm not not enjoying it, but I feel like I'm going through the motions a bit, there's certainly nothing I'd rave about.

I know it's not a competition, but so far I easily prefer the first 2 Arkham games (and possibly Origins) to it

I finished about half an hour ago, took me roughly 32 hours to get to 100% completion and the Platinum.

DntVqUNXsAINpyq.jpg

Overall it's a very good game and I still feel conflicted by my score as the story is masterfully executed throughout which tempted me into scoring it higher due to the incredible adrenaline pumping highs and emotional lows throughout Peter/Spidey's journey but ultimately the dull and repetitive side missions come back to haunt it as an overall package.

I do think too that it sticks a little too closely to the Arkham formula and needed to innovate more in some areas but ultimately if the formula works and you can transplant it from that series and execute it as phenomenally well as Insomniac have done in this then it is a great first attempt.

To be fair all the challenges are easy enough to get silvers on, you just need to keep trying and work out the optimal route. Get silver/gold on stealth is easily my favourite type of challenge, the enemies don't change their route so once you work out the best way to take them out you feel like an absolute stealth monster. 

I've really struggled with them but ive just done a drone one that I felt I'd fuckedup and still got a silver so it might not be too bad. I think I've got 1 more gadget to unlock and 3 or 4 more suits (but they need 4 challenge tokens each). Shouldbe doable with what I've got left but I'll need a few silvers

• 2 weeks later...

Finally done, dusted and got the Platinum on this. Had tons of fun playing through, genuinely enjoyed 95% of what I played. The only things that caused minor irritation were...

Spoiler

when the game kicked off and there were arseholes trying to kill me on the corner of most buildings, and the Sable Outposts. Both awfully frustrating.

I loved the relationship between MJ and PP, and setting up for the next installment was cool too.

It's the first 'real' game I've got the platinum on, the rest being Telltale titles and Lateshift, and even though it's an easy one to get, it's still a testament that I put the extra effort in to get it. Outstanding game in my eyes, and while I can understand the issues/negativity people had for it, they absolutely don't matter to me. Looking forward to seeing where it goes next, especially given the post-credits scene.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing this at the moment. Had a job cancelled last minute yesterday so I had a good 4 hours or so to piss about New York.

I found the traversal took a little getting used too but I’m able to zing about much better now although there are still times when I hit the ground despite having R2 held down which I don’t understand.

Haven’t loved the combat either although that might be an early game problem, I can see things changing once I unlock more of the skill tree. It just feels a little disjointed at times due to how spread out the enemies are, it lacks that Arkham flow you feel me? Brap.

Everything else has been great though, it’s 4.15am and I should and could go back to sleep but I’m gonna get up and play Spidey instead.

The research stations missions all suck! I’m doing them all in a binge because I’ve enjoyed them so little and just want to get them out the way. Then the final one broke and I had to restart it, the one that researches lighting storms and you have to align satellites. It can be so hard to move Spider-Man in close quarters when there are ledges and walls close to you, he sticks to everything and suddenly there is nothing to web on to and this is fucking frustrating when you need to dodge some lightning quick smart.

Still having a good time despite this bullshit. I know I don’t have to do them but... you know. 

My time with Spider-Man is up and down. The combat sucks a bag of ass, it may be because I'm bad at it but I rarely enjoy it. I hate being constantly shot at by shit I can't see. I hate being hit despite pressing the dodge button. And i hate those cunt's with the whips, they're just shit.

The traversing is cool, you get to a point where you just know what to do without thinking about it. However, those drone chasing missions? Fuck me. When you press the trigger buttons to zip to a point sometimes he hits something just before you reach said point and just falls to the floor.

I do like the game but I've turned it off in anger more than I would of liked and it's  taking the overall shine off. I currently think it's a piece of shit but i'll want to play it again soon and i'll enjoy it again.

I thought the combat was one of the games strongest points I must say.

It's the mediocre PS2-era style side quests that was my biggest bug bear with it.

I won't get anytime at all to play the Heist DLC until well into November/December, still nowhere near finishing AC Odyssey with 80+ hours clocked ?

I finished this a week or so ago & may pick it back up for the DLC as I really enjoyed it.

I certainly didn't enjoy the combat for the first few hours, just didn't seem to click but then all of a sudden it seemed to make sense & followed brilliantly.

Don't think I'll be going to back to clear everything (I very rarely do) but most of what I have left to do is just a bit now the story has finished.