passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Quest XI

DANGERMAN

16 minutes ago, Blakey said:

You’ve played all the AC games have ya @bellow :P ? 

I really do hope you like it as much as you do now when you reach the finishing line. It’s not a bad game at all and has its moments of greatness, but it just didn’t continually hit those highs anywhere near enough for me throughout my time with the game is all.

See I absolutely loved every single second with the game and just had an amazing time. But I also recognise that even though I loved it that doesn’t mean it’s great. Just the overall charm and childlike nature of it really worked for me. I enjoyed every aspect of the game but no one thing in it is particularly remarkable. 

I decided that that even though I bought the Switch version I don’t think I’ll play it. The thought of doing it all again makes me nervous and anxious

On 27/09/2019 at 09:14, Maf said:

but no one thing in it is particularly remarkable

I'd say up to now the character art design is the best, certainly the most charming, I've come across in a Jrpg. I also think the personalities of the main characters (not just the playable ones) have been universally well drawn.

The latter could change, of course. But I'm definitely sensing an effort to write these characters with viably comic personas, rather than the cheesy stereotypes that often mar the genre.

I suppose it is novel compared to other JRPG’s and is one of the best things about the game. But at the same time it’s the 11th Dragon Quest. I’m not a series know-it-all by any stretch, but this aspect is hardly surprising or really new to the series. It is part of it’s core identity. Maybe being almost fully voice acted is new, I don’t know. 

I’m with you, I think the game is amazing. But it’s also one of those cases where the total is far more than the sum of it’s parts, which is where it breaks down when people ask “But why do you like it?” And it’s like ? it’s got dragons in it? 

This game is so relaxing and so beautiful to look at on the Switchington that I can't help but get a bit overpowered. You just want to explore every corner of the map and every nook (and cranny, for that matter) of the cities and ruins. Of course, you can stroll on by the monsters if you so desire, but that's just not keeping up your part of the bargain ?

Plus, the game seems rather easy to begin with (although that can change quickly in a game of this kind). But after the harsh, hairs breadth victories of Octopath Traveller, this is like a slightly dangerous hiking holiday. I love it.

Make it so 3 characters are on attack but don’t use MP and your healer is set to heal and buff everyone and give them or forge a bunch mp restoring items and equipment and voila. Easy street.

Then you only need to play in boss battles and Metal Slimes

Mmm. I'm not saying I won't do that if there's a brick wall somewhere that only grinding can overcome, but for general play I'm not sure there's any point running thru the game like that. I find the combat quite enjoyable and easy on the eye, and would rather set the game aside for a month or so if it becomes a chore. In fact that's how I play all RPGs, even Western ones. Every time I do this I end up getting the itch to get back to a 'rested' game. Red dead redemption 2 is currently on its second rest period?.

Sure, it's easy, but so are many great (modern) games. I can't remember dying at all in Ys8 or XC2 or most Zeldas. There's more to them than simple  gameplay challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of the grind, I didn't feel the need to grind a lot going through the game, but I wasn't actively avoiding fights. I did grind a lot in the final area though, I spent pretty much an entire day gaining levels. I was laid up in bed and getting up to change games was agony, but I ended up over levelled 

I'm actually 50 hours in, which is an awful long time for me to play a game without taking a break, but it's been such a great experience, better even than XC2 up to now, which was my previous fave Switch Rpg.

Things, though, have just turned decidedly fishy all of a pudden. I might just play thru this sequence and take a break anyway, just to keep it fresh. The story has entered a second phase anyway so it's probably time. Great game though. As magical as any Jrpg I've had my mitts on.

What did players do with Hendrik? I'm thinking axe, but he has greatsword, and the hero is dealing monumental damage with his greatsword at the mo.

I feel my team might be unstoppable against bosses with 2 guys swinging the big steel.