passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon Quest XI

DANGERMAN

Been enjoying act 2 very much. Delving into the stories of the cast and fixing their bizarre problems has been a fine adventure, with some incredible narrative beats that laugh in the very face of restrained storytelling. Kudos to whoever was smuggling the drugs into Square Enix headquarters during the development of this masterpiece.

65 hours in and I want to achieve just 1 more thing in this first sitting with the game, and then take a break for Luigi's mansion. 

I'm still calling this the best RPG I've played on the Switcheroo. And that's saying something.

• 1 month later...

Swinging by to report that the final (final) boss in this has fallen beneath my luminous blade.

Looked a bit like a willy dressed in a lobster costume, so rather deserving of the brutal and unsympathetic death I handed out to him.

Did you work out the gimmick to beating the last boss? Because I didn’t and had to look it up after the fact. My characters were level 99, had their best weapons and armour, and all their best skills and the battle was still insanely tough. I managed it but was thinking if I had any less power I could not win this fight, and most players aren’t going to max out everything, so I looked it up after and read that there is a special item that was supposed to be used. But I don’t think the game gave any indication of that at all. 

I did not. But my son's friend, who'd beaten the game imparted the information, claiming that the trick was not made clear in the game, and even if it was, I would probably have missed it.

Cheeky bugger.

He was right though. I had no idea you were meant to do that, even though I had the item equipped at the time, but only because it was auto equipped in my hero's offensive set up.

Strange omission in an otherwise perfect game.

• 7 months later...

Oh, man, I could really play some DQ11 on Xbox. I actually own the Switch version already but if I get that version + looking nice on my TV that don’t sound too bad. 

It’s still one of my favourite not-great JRPG’s

EDIT: Aww, man, it’s not out on Xbox until December 4th. Man these Xbox disappointments just keep on getting me lol

• 1 year later...

Started playing this recently and am a couple of hours in. Feels nice and polished, but otherwise it's DQ as usual so far, which isn't bad certainly and sometimes just what you need. There are some traditions they could get rid off in my opinion though, like the silent protagonist who at this point just feels archaic, but also those walls of text you have to go through when you want to save your game. I know DQ is borderline holy in Japan, but I think that stuff could use an overhaul.

Monster design has been excellent so far btw, some of those little blobs are so cute I really feel bad for murdering them. No idea how to skill my characters at the moment, just hoarding those points and hoping for a sign – maybe when I have more than two I can see some kind of synergy and find a good use for them.

The Switch version makes a god anti-Switch-Pro argument too because it looks really nice and runs with a rock solid 30fps, showing that we don't need an upgraded platform, but simply better optimisation from the side of developers.

My favourite RPG in a long time. Turned me from DQ hater to DQ fan. I do think for some people it will be too classic or too traditional to a fault. I loved it, though. Great, charming, easy going, throwback game. 

I'm a bit indifferent about the series. VIII was pretty good but I never finished it, IX was weird but better than people say it was and I gave up on VII after realising that the prologue took me 20 hours. That game was just way too big.

XI reminds me a lot of VIII so far, but that might just be due to its overall presentation. It's certainly easy to get into and find something to enjoy, so here's hoping it doesn't run out of steam at one point or another which is a problem I often see in JRPGs.

It's bland, but that's kind of part of DQ's DNA. It becomes more lively after your party grows bigger though, I think the initial hours are a bit lame because of the silent protagonist and your one campanion filling the void, later you have people talking to each other which just makes for a more interesting setup. It also helps that Veronica's voice actress is excellent.

One thing about the game that I don't like is the music. Not that it's bad, but it's almost completely detached from everything that's happening on screen. You run around in a town, there's the same music playing than in the village before, you go talk to the mayor/king and during the entire cutscene the town music keeps playing as if you're just using spotifiy in the background. At least I'm not playing the midi version, that must have been torture.

The music is too forgettable to be torture. Apart from the main DQ theme I can't recall a single song from the game. I can't even remember what the battle theme sounds like. 

Maybe the non Midi version makes the lack of music stand out more but in the original version Midi doesn't matter when the soundtrack ends up being so forgettable. 

Speaking of the music the composer for DQ just died. Tho aside from being famous for Dragon Quest he was also famous for defending Japanese war crimes during WWII (like the Nanking Massacre, and abduction of women into sex slavery)

https://kotaku.com/dragon-quest-composer-koichi-sugiyama-has-died-1847815597

Not that it compares to something like that but I want to say that the MIDI in these games was something he insisted on as he didnt want audiences outside Japan to listen to his music or something. But might have got wires crossed on that one, I do know that DQ8 had a great soundtrack that was fully orhcestrated in EU territories but might have been the only one that did