passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Streets of Rage 4

DANGERMAN

FUCK YEAH! 

Been wanting a revival for years. Some bits bother me, but I'm just glad it's even a thing. Too early to tell much so I'm not going to be picky. 

I hope Yuzo, or at least someone with enough musical talent, is on to do it justice. 

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this pop-up.  I still am.

I like what Dotemu did with Dragon's Trap but that was a recreation of an existing thing with new art.  Speaking of the art, while I liked it for Wonderboy I dunno how I feel about it for Streets of Rage.  The colours are right but something about the characters designs don't sit with me.  SoR's music is pretty iconic so that's gonna be a tough act to follow.  The music in the trailer is kinda a rocky synthwave thing which hopefully isn't representative of the game.  Though the developers are French and there is a bit of a synthwave music scene there so I can see some of those turning up here that have done music for things like Furi and Hotline Miami.

But I think I mostly want to feel how it plays.  See if they get the weight right.  And I hope they don't just remake SoR2 as some cool gameplay additions were added in SoR3 and I'd like to see those back and built on.

I remember looking at the nes mini and thinking to myself "hot damn, I need that in my life, look at that thing of beauty". I did not buy one due to lack of funds.

A friend of mine got one, and said that the rose-tinted nostalgia washed off quicker than the afternoon it was plugged in for.

As excited as this makes me, I can't help but feel "but yea, will I ever really play this for more than novelty?"

There have been plenty of side scrolling brawlers that are lovely, Castle crashers, Scott Pilgrim, Charlie murder, and more recently Mother Russia Bleeds... but... in spite of them being great games I have zero desire to play them. 

If this comes out and it's like £6, then they'll probably snag me on the hook, otherwise, this game fall into the "I'll get it when it's on PS+ in 6 months" category.

5 minutes ago, RoboticMonk3y said:

If this comes out and it's like £6, then they'll probably snag me on the hook, otherwise, this game fall into the "I'll get it when it's on PS+ in 6 months" category.

This is hilarious to me. Everything that's big and indie at the minute seems to be asking for £20+. There's several things I've gone in to buy recently and as soon as I've seen the price I've backed out. I'm sure Dead Cells and Overcooked 2 are fantastic games, but 20 quid? Come on. I can pick up some critically well received AAA games for that now.

I remember when Braid came out and the price went from 800 to 1200. 800 was the price for most things up until then, you had a few basic games for 400 and some DLC was 560. Paying £6 odd for a indie downloadable game on release is long gone.

20 quid is fine if there’s enough game there, which there certainly is in Dead Cells and Overcooked.

The thing with Live prices was you have to remember that most of the early Arcade games were old arcade ports and there was a strict file size limit. I’m glad they upped the price and file limit so we could get grander experiences. 

I reckon Castle Crashers, Meat Boy or Shadow Complex etc now would probably be £18-20, and that's not inflation or a absolute need, but the fact they can. 

When you look at production values and Dev costs to some of this stuff and comparable prices I just find it doesn't sit right sometimes. 

PC gets a much better ride with regards to deals and pricing. If you're into Indie it's a paradise.

It's an incredibly personal subject tho which I've had countless different discussions on. 

Hey, you want the devs and publishers to take the piss, then go ahead and let them. Continue to buy stuff day 1 with all the DLC and season passes and lootboxes. You've no leg to stand on when it backfires, but then again who gives a fuck? There's not enough people that give a fuck to stop it sliding off into the abyss where all the bad practices are just accepted wholesale, so go for it. I can't save you from you, that's something you need to do yourself.

24 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Hey, you want the devs and publishers to take the piss, then go ahead and let them. Continue to buy stuff day 1 with all the DLC and season passes and lootboxes. You've no leg to stand on when it backfires, but then again who gives a fuck? There's not enough people that give a fuck to stop it sliding off into the abyss where all the bad practices are just accepted wholesale, so go for it. I can't save you from you, that's something you need to do yourself.

#brexit

Being serious.. Pay what you want. If you don't want to pay 20, wait for a sale. But complaing about money grabbing AAA's AND reasonably priced, content complete, excellent reviewed indies comes across a bit tight. Who pays full price for games anyway?

I bought Enter the Gungeon over a month ago and have put 150 hours into all for the price of under £6.

I bought the whole Rock Band set for fuck knows what silly price.  And a ton of DLC.

My favourite deal of all time is Wipeout 3 for a fiver.

I bought Devil's Third for like £40.

I got Dead Cells for £17.99.

Over the course of its existence, I've put around £30 into Pokemon Go.

I don't regret any of them.

It's all so massively subjective what is the point?  If you got it and you want it just get it.  You know you die at the end, right?