passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shenmue 1 & 2

radiofloyd

Couldn’t find a thread for these so I made a new one. I played a little over an hour of the first game, just as far as exploring Dobuita a little. 

Of course this is Japan in the 80s, so thirty years before the Japan I’ve experienced, but still so little has changed. Visually from the streets, the houses, the parks...this is what Japan is like. And the young children in the game that meet Ryo speak exactly like Japanese children do now. The scene with the girl and the kitten next to the shrine was very touching.

So far so good! Playing the game on PC by the way, connected to my tv and using a wired controller. Resolution is 1920x1080 or something along those lines. 

I was watching a stream of it yesterday that Kotaku did and the resident Japanese speaker says the writing is often just as clunky (but if you don't speak it you won't notice) but the recording is of a better quality since it doesn't sound like it's "recorded in a shed during a blizzard".  So it might be worth playing using the Superior Nihongo, anyway.

What do they do with Tom’s voice? In case he has a different name, he’s the hot dog stand guy.

In the English version he has this weird attempt at a Jamaican accent, but with loads of other shit thrown in.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

What do they do with Tom’s voice? In case he has a different name, he’s the hot dog stand guy.

In the English version he has this weird attempt at a Jamaican accent, but with loads of other shit thrown in.

I too need to know the answer. This mans shouting need not to be replaced. 

I watched some of Digital Foundry footage and the English voices had some compression/sound boardy type effect on it but japanese was much more clearer and nice. 

Maybe they couldn't find the original recordings, it was the way it was recorded or it was the voice actors fault. ?

I think the Japanese with subs is probably the way to go. 

Yeah Shenmue 2 was better for that reason as I played it with Subs. Not sure if that was because it didn't have Dub ? 

It's the same with Anime or the like. If they don't have decent voice actors it's painful, just have Subs on. The Japanese voice actors always entertain me. Yakuza is great for that ?

Although I think I do remember sometimes reading whilst reacting to a QTE didn't blend so well ?

I watched David Turner's from TCGS stream the first hour or so, and it's kind of naff, but in a likable, naive way.

If I was approaching it now for the first time, I don't know if bimbling around asking about sailors and waiting in parks for the shops to open is going to be fun for too many people. I've got a soft spot for Shenmue from back in the day, and the stiffness and shitty VO is part of the charm

I never played Shenmue 2 properly because the first one satisfied my need for that nonsense at the time, and Yakuza 0 on PC is filling the same space for me right now (while also being better), but I could see myself doing it down the line some time.

I played this for the first time the other night and wow, ok. 

It is definitely a product of its time, It controls like a chicken nugget rolling down a hill.

We got bored looking for sailors who just didn't want to show up, and my friend was stoned and wasn't playing how I'd play so it was kind frustrating too. 

The VO has some weird compression on it so it sounds terrible, and the acting itself is terrible but gives it some charm, like an old Kung Fu movie. 

I should be getting a code in a day or two so I can sit down and play it properly myself, but playing this next to Yakuza Kiwami 2 will be interesting. 

I’d be tempted to take your copy back and get a refund @Nag if I were you. As it seems your disc and/or the install may be buggered as I’ve seen no one else have these kinds of issues.

Happened to me once with Condemned:CO on 360 where the final boss glitched so I could never defeat him.