passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Divinity: Original Sin 2

Whiskey_chaser

started this and I'm about 5 hours in, so I'm in Fort Joy, and I have 4 party members, though not a ranged character that I could do with (I've let everyone be who they're supposed to be). Something I've now learnt but not put in to practice, I should be splitting my party up a little more. Everyone is linked all the time, I think knowing there's a fight coming I should be leaving at least one of them further out so we aren't all getting hit in one attack, and I'm not setting everyone on fire

I've had the feeling all the way through that I don't know what I'm doing and would either need someone sat next to me taking a sharp intake of breath every time I'm about to do something stupid, or realise 30 hours in how the game works and toy with starting over.  That being said, apart from fighting some alligators too early I've not died yet. I've saved an elf from a cage, another one from a beating, but killed someone I'm pretty sure I could have saved

One question, maybe you can't do it, but how do I show people items? The elf I saved said to show something to other elves I meet, and I think I'm supposed to show a doll to a child when I find them

You should be able to find all the pre-generated PCs (Sebille, Lohse, Beast, Fane, Red Prince & Ifan) in the Fort Joy area, including Ifan who is the ranger.

With regards to items, I think they just will appear as a dialogue choice but might be dependent upon which party member you use for the conversation.

Worth noting that once you leave Fort Joy (after 15-20 hrs or so) you can fully respec all your characters if needed (using the magic mirror in the ships hold).

Another thing worth noting (especially if you played the first game) is that there is no resurrection spell/skillbook* in this one, and you're reliant upon acquiring resurrection scrolls (they are quite plentiful but seem expensive in the early game when you don't have much money).

So make sure you use the trade option, when available, during most conversations to see who has got what. Traders stock also updates as you level up.

*There is a necro spell that you can get much later in the game, but it's still a switch vitality sort of raise dead rather than resurrection.

Finding the game steps up beyond my levelling in several parts - I've now moved on to Arx and so far most things are 2-3 levels higher than my party.

A few of the online guides suggest that fighting is more rewarding than diplomacy (hence you get more exp from battles than persuasion/ diplomacy) which is disappointing if it leaves you short of skills/hits for those unavoidable encounters later on.

Overall I'm not enjoying this one quite as much as the first, but it's still pretty great (albeit the overuse of necrofire as  surface effect is a bit tiresome).

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

Should I be picking 3 teammates and sticking with them, or should I do their stories then switch? 

Don't think there's too much problem switching between them in the first Act or two, but by Act 3 you'll need to decide which 3 will be with you for the rest of the game. But, I don't think that you'll be able to conclude all their stories in a single playthrough.

The is clear signposting before you reach the point of no return for each Act.

Yep, second the above about quicksaving too - not so you can redo choices but there are a few WTF moments that can lead to total party death (or occasionally if you steal when trying to talk, or attack when trying to move etc).

the game stores loads of quick saves too, don't know if it's all of them but it certainly goes back.

I'm probably going to get rid of Beast. I prefer his character to the Red Prince, but a melee fighter without a shield or a means to recover armour hasn't been much use to me so far. the murdering elf woman seems like she's going to be a problem, but she also seems like she's going to have the most fun story, and possibly turn in to a useful fighter. I've met the magic user and desperately need someone with a bit of range, so I'll bring her in. She seems to have the same thing going on as the cat that's following me around (and was murdered at one point by a guard before I reloaded), not sure if they're connected, but she was cool on the boat, she still seems like a decent character

unrelated, but I wish the map and journal were a bit better with signposting the quests. There's one I think I can't do in the area I'm at yet, but it's hard to tell because there's no extra detail to it

I went with Beast and equipped him with 1H and shield, since I pushed the majority of his skill points into Warfare (rather than specific combat skills, since the bonus seemed better and you can then get the higher level skill books), likewise my magic user has wand and shield rather than 2H staff, again benefitting from the 'shields up' skill too.

One tip for fighting is to concentrate on either doing physical or magical damage (not a mixture of both). This will erode the respective shield quicker and then allow you to reduce their vitality.

I've taken that shield note on board. I'd picked up on it straight away but wasn't acting on it, now I'm targeting enemies with one or the other, sometimes overlapping with aoe attacks 

I've got rid of the psycho elf for the dwarf and given him a shield. I'd still like a proper ranged character, but the magic woman has a couple of ranged spells, I've given the Prince a fire dagger spell which gives him a range option 

It took a couple of attempts but I saved a paladin that I'd like to add to my party at some point. The game is what it is, but with only 4 party members I wish you could give them secondary weapons. If I alter anyone too much I might not be able to make the most of their skills 

Pretty sure I'm hitting the end now, and not feeling much love for the City of Arx, after 110 hrs I just want to see the end.

There's a couple of awful sequences here too, gameplay wise, like a pipemania type puzzle (which itself isn't difficult, but the interface is cumbersome) and some excessive use of necrofire (yet again).

Feels a little disjointed at times, where I've done things out of order, noting though the (lack of) quest signposting means there is no clear order.....

It's been a good ride, but hopefully not too much further to go.....

Finished!

Worth noting that straight after the final encounter (when it goes into a dialogue) you can quickly save, which allows you to go back & revisit your final choices (if you feel a need to see how the different endings work out).

As I've said earlier, I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as D:OS 

I'll take a break and play a different type of game for a bit, before starting Pillars of Eternity (PS4).

• 6 months later...

I finally went back to this today and spent hours with it. Really enjoyed it. I was going to load a save from way back, maybe even from the point you get off the boat. It turned out I hadn't quite fucked myself when I last played so I just avoided triggering all the guards and walked back to safety. It did mean that a couple of quests I'd fucked up are just going to have to stay that way, but it did mean I wouldn't have to redo all the fights I've done 

I've been watching Rock Paper Shotgun play and it turned out there was a route I'd missed with the skeleton man, so I recruited him and set him to range. Now got Ben whatever as my main as a sword guy with the Red Prince melee and a couple of fire spells. The human woman is my mage and Mr Bones is range and summoning. Watching them also taught me to make better use of the teleport gloves, I'm still probably not making enough use of them in combat. 

It turns out I'd waved goodbye to one way out of the Fort, and I'd missed something that opened a door I could have just walked out of. And a fight I must have failed would have given me a way out too (found that coming back in exploring). I saved the cat but it seems its tied to a character not in my party so he's gone forever. 

Off to find a cave now, had quite a lot of fights along the way there, now I'm facing some giant salamander that I think might fuck me up so they can wait for another day 

My advice is to just play this how you want in the first run through and fuck missing shit and characters etc, its made so that the choice of party has an impact and it all comes back around later on. You can infinitely re-spec once off fort joy and once you get some teleport pyramids you can have it so that you can teleport back to the ship and then back to where you were mid-fight if you want to do that although its a bit cheeky/cheap.

So basically just do what you want, part of the fun for me, having played through three times co-op with a mate was deciding to be stubborn and making decisions to see how much you can fuck the plot up, killing characters earlier than they are meant to be killed to see how the game plot-corrects is impressive, they really do give you a lot of freedom and at the same time make you feel the weight of your choices. Such a great game. 

Why wasn't I playing this when I was unemployed and had all that free time :facepalm:

I'll spoiler most of this but I feel like the game is really kicking on now. I got my collar off and left the prison fort (still on the island). I've progressed Fane and the Red Prince's story, and I'm pretty sure I've found the means to get the rest of the collars off, but that's a few steps down the line. 

Spoiler

I've been in to the hidden cave, solved the riddle, freed the ghost guy, then headbutted God. I've now got Bless, which I used on a pig, that brought out a cursed spirit, I'm wondering if I could have smashed her jar, maybe I'll look at the jars tomorrow. 

The source points are a bit of a pain. I stupidly put the cursed ring on because I didn't realise you needed points for bless. 

The god also told me that my #squad are actually my rivals, which is pretty cool, but also specifically told me to kill Lohse. I'm looking forward to seeing what goes on with that in 100 hours 

Edit: it turns out that I do have the summon cat spell. If you have too many spells it hides them away, on pc it's 'k' to bring up your skill list