passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Divinity: Original Sin 2

Whiskey_chaser

So, this has been out a while on PC and is soon coming to consoles and now i've finally got around to giving it a go.

Like the first game, It's an insanely open CRPG where you can pretty much tackle most situations anyway you like and has an excellent elemental based combat system (cast a rain spell and electrocute it to shock everyone, poison clouds are combustible - that sort of thing).

The customisation is nuts - you can spec out your starting character any way you like, even specifying the main instrument used for dramatic musical moments (I went for the cello). You can even choose which specialty you want any other characters who join to have.

Once your past the first 'tutorial' area your left to your own devices exploring an area around a fort. There's very little hand holding here and every NPC is worth talking to - the writing is fantastic. The detail level in the areas is bonkers.

I'm only a few hours in, and the fights have kicked my arse a few times (still working out a solid character load out) but it's awesome.

Oh - and it has full co-op as well which i'm hoping to start up this weekend with three others.

4C4u74R.jpg

I'm about seven hours in and still haven't really left the starting area (now tentatively making my way into the outer parts of the fort). It's not even that big of an area, there's just so much to do. The NPC's have so much more depth than they do in most other games. I've also unlocked the ability of talking to animals so there's even more stuff to do (came in handy being able to talk my way out of a fight with a room full of guard dogs).

I'm level four and have unlocked a few cool abilities, though might re-spec my main character into more magic focussed. 

Managed to squeeze a good chunk of time into this over the weekend - about 17 hours in I finally left the start area after squeezing every last drop of XP out of it.

Also managed about three hours of the campaign co-op on tactical difficulty. What's surprised me the most is how open it remains despite being multiplayer. You're literally free to do anything you want with no constraints whatsoever. That being said, tactical difficulty is brutal (normal difficulty is fairly tough to be fair) so it's not really advisable to go picking fights solo.

It's also very funny - the elemental nature of fights lead to one of us 'accidentally' setting fire to the whole party on more than one occasion. One party member also kept stealing the loot before we could get to it. We teleported him onto an island and left him there for a bit.

I've never played these games but always wanted to try them.

But i was looking into how the multiplayer works and it sounds amazing, especially with the split screen too.

I'm going to pick this up on PS4 for sure. I think of you pre - order now you can play the first act. 

I can just skip the first one right? Maybe watch a recap video or something? 

46 minutes ago, Duck said:

I've never played these games but always wanted to try them.

But i was looking into how the multiplayer works and it sounds amazing, especially with the split screen too.

I'm going to pick this up on PS4 for sure. I think of you pre - order now you can play the first act. 

I can just skip the first one right? Maybe watch a recap video or something? 

I played about eighty hours of the first one but never finished it. I'm crap at remembering lore in games but there doesn't seem to be much cross over, a few references to the story in other Divinity games but the story seems to be much better. I'd say the second one is a better starting point as it's more forgiving, I recall going straight into one of the harder settings in the first game and getting my arse kicked on the tutorial repeatedly.

This is quickly edging up my personal list of best games of all time. I've put another chunk into single player and multiplayer and the amount of different approaches you can take to each scenario makes Desu Ex look linear.

A great example is an early fight with a gang boss. In single player, you have the option of returning his smuggled drug stash that was stolen by a 'dreamer', therefore ensuing the wrong imprisonment of an elf. I vouched for the heroic deed of not selling out the dreamer and taking the whole gang on at once.

Playing multiplayer last night, when everyone else was doing other things I'd managed to get one of the NPC gang members to fall in love with me. When we fought the gang, she joined our side. We then went and killed the dreamer anyway to get his loot.

Other players have condemned the elf, or sold out the dreamer where the gang boss sends out an assassin to kill him.

And it's like this with every single encounter in the game, of which there are many. 

We had a chuckle over  fight that started with two archers sitting on chairs on a raised up platform overlooking a dungeon. Our mage went to teleport one close to our melee fighters but teleported the chair he was sitting on instead. This made him fall, knocking him out (misses the next go).

Highlights of my last session:

Having insects forcefully vomited into my mouth by a sexy witch covered in excrement.

Killing a blind Magister (he attacked me as I was trying to sneakily loot the box behind him) and discovering a letter from his family, stating how much his little sister misses him and can't wait to see him home).

Saving a pig from eternal damnation.

Telling a rat stories of my escape from Fort Joy - the rat was so inthralled it warned me of cursed levers in the dungeon I was in and how to bypass them.

Fane - the 'undead' character in my party. Some excellent dialogue so far - think HK47 from Knights of the Old Republic. 

Man - the second act on this game is brutal. Just as i've started levelling up my characters nicely and thinking i'm pretty powerful, it's quick to remind me who's boss. Still, managed to snog a spider and then turn an entire town against me 'by accident' (they started it - honest) all within half an hours play.

The second area - Reapers Coast is also huge. I've put about five hours in just wondering about and not actually doing many quests and i've barely uncovered a third of it. 

I've literally spent about 10 hours just exploring the new area without doing any quests (my side quest log has about 20 unresolved quests, not including the character quests and main story arc). I'm a bit lost as to what to do next. There's an area of level nine stuff I could tackle but I can't figure out how to get there, and everything else is about four levels above me, which roughly translates to a guaranteed arse kicking.

Still - it's probably the most detailed game world i've ever experienced in a game so it's just been fun walking around and figuring stuff out.

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

I'm sure it would be best to skip the first game and jump straight to this, but as I own it I feel like I've got to put some time in to 1. I do want this though 

They're both great games, just make sure you go in on one of the easier difficulty settings on the first. The harder settings are brutal!

• 1 month later...

I started another multiplayer campaign last night, third time through act one and there's still a load I missed the previous few times. 

Rolled an undead Lizardman archer this time called 'Wanky Skeletor'. Lizardmen are the 'racial outcasts' in this game with most other races treating hating them, and the site of skeletons generally make people run in fear so i'm having to keep covered up at all times. 

• 1 month later...

Been playing this for a few weeks (PS4) around 30hrs in, and finally wrapped up Act 1, left the Fort Joy area, and now (back) on the boat.

The only thing I miss from the first game is the banter between party members seems absent so far.

Also noticed that a new patch installed today too (patch notes):

https://gearnuke.com/divinity-original-sin-2-update-version-1-05-patch-notes-3-6-33-2684/

I took a bit of a free wander around the new island in Act 2, and found a bit towards the SE which prompted an on-screen message along the lines of "Your party isn't experienced enough for the enemies in this area, turn back" - no physical barrier to block progress so I carried on and discovered just why for myself : the enemies are all around 500 physical & magic armour and 600 HP's - whilst Im still on 100-200 armour and 200-300 HP's.....

Guess I'd better turn around and follow the story path.

Bought a fab new crossbow from the Lone Wolf encampment, that seemed well worth the 3000g as it did twice the damage my current one did.

But what I hadn't realised was how the weapon level & character level were linked, and as crossbow was lv 14 but character lv 10, my accuracy plunged to just 25%. 

So, not really much point in using that after all.

Wow, after 80hrs I'm on the Nameless Isle, and now Sebille lies dead* (unresurrectable).

Didn't see that coming, but I'll live with my choice & consequences and have recruited a mercenary from the boat to replace her.

*Not really a spoiler since I'm pretty sure they'll be a route that prevents this.