passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

illdog

I heard Abby talking about this on the Beastcast a while back and it was finally in the sale so I picked it up.

Minit then.  So called cos the game is played in 60 second bursts in which you explore as much as you can before the time runs out. When the time runs out you die, respawn at your house but all significant progress is saved Before I say anymore I have to mention this is a Gameboy game. Monocrome look, 8 bit graphics, sound chip tunes but it's cool as fuck. It's kinda like Zelda: Links Awakening with it's one screen at a time exploration gameplay.

You find a sword first so you're combat ready. Next thing I found? A fucking watering can. Then some coffee (this gives you more energy so you can push boxes). It's an odd game. However, it's one of good design. It can be tricky to figure out what to do next, sometimes frustrating when the map expands and you have a couple of different ways you could go but due to the time limit you know the answer is never too far away. It has a handy built in kill button so you can end your run at anytime, allowing you to respawn at your current house. There are about 4 places you can respawn at spread across your map, each one becoming your homebase the instant you enter it.

It's very satisfying gameplay wise, it always feels rewarded when you figure out what to do next and I was chuffed as a bollock when i finished it. It's not thaty it's that hard, I was just stuck a few times and refused to resort to a guide. It's not a big game, couple of hours I guess but I recommend it.

Once you beat the main game...

You unlock 'Second Run' which gives you 40 seconds per run instead of 60, a broken sword with shitty range and only one heart of health.

• 2 years later...

Yeah, I went and played this, right? Took me about 2 hours to smash through it all. It's mostly straightforward, but as chat and I found out, there's multiple ways to the end. It's a pretty disposable game if I'm being honest, it wasn't until someone reminded me I played it that I thought I should put some thoughts down on it. Not really a good reflection on the game, but there we go.

Might be one of those games you fire up when you don't really know what to play and kill an afternoon on it, otherwise it's one of those games that just exists and keeps getting looked over.

Got this in the itch.io bundle after wanting to play it for a while.

Technically it's 1-bit graphics since they are just black & white, but filled with style and character.

Not very far in but enjoying it so far. Looking forward to the Commodore 64 version in development...

Spoiler

Took me far too long to realise the guy asking for water in the Endless Desert could be helped with the watering can...