passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assassin's Creed Rogue

illdog

Anybody else played this?

Im about 4 hours in I guess, I'm not in love with it. It is slowly getting better but it's a hard game to go back to after the high of Syndicate and the change of direction that was Origins. My fault of course for not playing them in chronological order.

Still, in order or not, the game feels like it lacks a flow. You sail everywhere in your bloody great ship, you slowly pull up to your destination, often stopping too far away then you have to jump in the water and swim to the dock and then you can carry on with the next bit of the story or whatever you are here to do. You do unlock fast travel shortly in to the game but obvioulsy you can only fast travel to places you've been.

Also, the controls are clunky. Or clunkier than recent attempts. And you cant enter in to sneak mode either, the game does it for you when you are in bushes and the like. I don't like that.

Story wise, you are Shay, you have a terrible Irish accent and the rest I couldn't give a single fuck about.

I do like it now more than I did an hour in though, it does have a quality that makes me want to continue playing. It'sgot that big map to explore, it's got  those treasure icons and collectibles all spread out, good old sandbox fun if that's your bag.

Yeah, I got it cheap and played it not long after Unity. Genuinely thought it was an outstanding follow-up to Black Flag.

Having the extra locations really made the difference to me and made it feel like it wasn't just copied and pasted from BF (even though a hell of a lot was).

11 hours ago, illdog said:

it does have a quality that makes me want to continue playing. It's got that big map to explore, it's got  those treasure icons and collectibles all spread out, good old sandbox fun if that's your bag.

Fully agree with this too. That gameplay loop was super satisfying. Potential spoiler question, but...

Spoiler

...have you sailed in the ice yet?

That added a bit of depth to the boat sailing, and added to making it feel like its own thing, instead of Black Flag's little brother.

This is one of the only mainline AC game along with Liberation I’ve not played. Got them both on Steam but just never got round to them ?

Always heard good things but I just couldn’t buy both when Unity came out so went for that instead (and loved it) so this just got left in the ether.