passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dead Cells

Hendo

I’ve reached the first boss a couple more times now,still haven’t killed him,but I’m definitely improving. I got him to just under half health a while ago, but seeing that made me think “hey,I could win this!”, only to make a continuous string of fuck ups that threw that out the window.

But it doesn’t bother me,as this is just an absolute joy to play. 

One question though,I keep seeing doors that say “this locked 1/2 minutes ago”. I’ve tried speedrunning a few times to see if I can get to the door before it locks,but each time I’m either minutes,or seconds too late. How do you open those?

You’re doing the right thing. They open when you reach them in a set time. I’ve only ever managed to open the first one and, in my opinion, it wasn’t really worth it so I haven’t bothered since. I think it is an issue that the rewards for the speed doors are generally not worth it, as part of the impending update has changed what’s in them (I presume to make speedruns more worthwhile).

I have noticed however that one of the time doors just before a boss fight has a blueprint for a rather tasty looking bow beyond it, so maybe that one is worth going for. Hard to do though as it’s a few stages from the start, and given the random nature of the stages, there’s quite a bit of luck involved.

When you get more used to it you start to get a balance of picking up upgrades along the way and opening the time locked doors. If you’ve just started then you are probably still trying to fight everything and collect blue prints and cells. But after a while once you’ve got the stuff you like enemies are best to be run past so you quickly dart around an area, get the upgrades, rush to the exit, hit the time lock door, rinse repeat. 

Actually the earlier ones ones are the hardest ones to get to but if you keep the pace up you start getting to the later time locks with minutes left on the clock.

It’s all about balancing your run, but to do that you want to upgrade your potion capacity and weapons you like, etc

Yeah,I think what’s slowed me down is wanting to gain Cells to buy upgrades. A couple of times I’ve reached a door and it’s only been locked for 3 seconds,so I’m not far off.

Just killed the first boss. My previous attempt I hadn’t got any grenades or anything. This time I had a fire grenade,and traps. Which have gone up immensely in my “NEED” agenda, because they stopped him from moving completely. That,combined with a Frost Blast I picked up from an Elite meant he was either slow,or totally frozen. 

I still had to apply the Dark Souls mindset of “get a few hits in,then dodge,don’t get greedy”. But it was immensely satisfying to kill him.

I found a Cursed Chest in the next level,and immediately wished I hadn’t. As it cheerfully told me I would be killed with a single hit,until I killed 10 enemies. Luckily I had an Electric Whip from killing the first boss,so I was able to pick enemies off from a comfortable distance. 

Then I got to the Clock Tower,and things quickly went horribly wrong. I activated a statue,that teleported me right into a group of powerful enemies,that ripped through almost my entire huge health bar in a matter of seconds. I survived that,barely,but died soon afterwards.

I can see why this gets so much praise. It’s absolutely brilliant.

Yeah it’s a fantastic game. I think it’s biggest short coming is the viability in tactics. I’m sure there are excellent players out there that can make anything work. But honestly if I don’t have 2 turrets, a bow, an ice bow/Forst Blast and spec almost totally down the purple path then I will not win. Shields are useless and later enemies are too dangerous to take on with swords. 

Again I’m sure there are people who are great at the game who have all kind of builds, but for me it’s this or die. In the beginning the game is fun because of exploring and figuring it out. Then you get to the sort of mid-term game where you know what you’re doing and can work on unlocking secrets, weapons, power ups, etc

But the long term game struggled for me. It is still fun because the mechanics are so fun but if I’m serious about completing a run and I don’t get my build then I just can’t do it. The last boss is nasty.

5 hours ago, Maf said:

Yeah it’s a fantastic game. I think it’s biggest short coming is the viability in tactics. I’m sure there are excellent players out there that can make anything work. But honestly if I don’t have 2 turrets, a bow, an ice bow/Forst Blast and spec almost totally down the purple path then I will not win. Shields are useless and later enemies are too dangerous to take on with swords. 

Yeah, I’m the same. I’ve come to the conclusion that I need a decent ice weapon to get a good run. Later on freeze status is really great for interupting key enemy attacks (like those big bastards and their charge punch in the Slumbering Sanctuary). I like some of the melee weapons, especially when they have a “+ damage to frozen enemies” buff on them. A freeze, then melee combo can wreck fools.

4 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

I haven’t even bothered with shields. Taking one instead of a bow just doesn’t sit right with me. The ammount of times a bow has proved useful is beyond count.

Yeah, shields are for cowards. I prefer the hard mans approach - throwing down a couple of traps and letting them do the work whilst I hide ?

5 hours ago, ThreeFour said:

I bought it on Switch. Be a nice sit-down game when I'm spending 'time' with the missus ?

I think it really is the ideal game for the Switch. Very pick up ‘n’ play for a quick hit. I honestly don’t think I’d have put in nearly as much time on it if I’d have bought it on another format.