passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dead Cells

Hendo

I really don't play it the same as you guys.  I never use Frost Blast as it does no damage.  Shield and Assassins Blade.  Parry, roll behind, stab and let your increased attack damage on parry and from behind just one hit kill everything.  Even the big guys if you have fire and poison involved with the mutation that increases damage further. 

I stopped playing this in September to concentrate on some larger more time consuming games, but picked it up again this week.

I was expecting it to take me a little while to get back into the swing of things, but I got to grips with it immediately and beat the boss in the clock tower on my first session. I'd only got that far once previously in September and died halfway through the fight. I did die quite quickly in the next area to one of the new enemies, of course.

Finally made a start on this. The “feel” is incredible. The character just moves perfectly. I love games that nail that, however I think I need to remap the buttons, I’m just never using the secondary  ability and struggling to remember which is which on the shoulder buttons. Think I’ll give yours a try @DifferentClass, (with the Xbox equivalents) hope it helps. Hopefully it’ll feel more natural after a bit more play. 

Ive made it to the 3rd area in about 4 runs. I’m really enjoying it so far. I just hope I don’t get fed up of the roguelike elements too quickly. As I’ve said before they’re not my type of game usually. I can already see the starting area getting tiresome even after my short time with it. Binding of Isaac held my attention for a very long time though so hopefully this’ll be like that. 

Played a lot more of this last night, beat the Concierge after a couple of attempts which I’m happy with and managed to complete the daily challenge after :) . The area after is a motherfucker! Those green exploding enemies and those bastards with the big cannon are destroying me at minute. I’m learning though, went in with a crap primary weapon too which didn’t help. 

The new control layout has helped loads, thanks DC. I’m loving using the shields now, I’m parrying everything it’s massively satisfying, whereas when it was on Y instead of RT I was struggling for some reason. 

All in all loving it. Having to keep my plays to short bursts though otherwise the opening areas start to really bore me. Is there a way of skipping them later in the game? That could be a deal breaker for me unfortunately, even if it can take me less than a minute to get through if I try. 

That pirate cannon filled village is where the challenge ramps up. It’s definitely a good idea to take it steady,as one mistake can see your health bar go flying out the window. 

And it only gets harder from there,lol!

Kudos on beating Conceirge,after a few times he’s not too bad at all. The last boss destroyed me,only reached him twice so far.

Nope,you can’t skip the opening areas. Which I’m glad of,as it’s a good way of stockpiling Cells to buy new stuff. 

Yea think I was running through a bit too much. Cheers, I did cheese it a little. I just used the sinew slicer auto arrow thing with grenades and kept my distance. Worked easily though lol. 

Do you find it better to kill all the enemies and search the beginning areas properly or to rush through and get those time doors? 

I don’t even bother with the time doors. I’ve only opened one,and that only had a jar of about 10 Cells,and a Blueprint. Not really worth it. And from what I hear,they’re all a bit hit and miss.

After the first boss,I treat every area with extreme caution. As many of them have enemies that can decimate your health bar at an alarming rate. I find taking on multiple enemies at once a recipe for disaster. Better to pick them off one by one,with traps and turrets. Doing that gets me to the final area more often than not. 

I think I might be slightly obsessed with this game. It’s got its hooks in me in a way no game has in a long time. Probably since Rocket League. I’m loving it. Unfortunately it’s costing me sleep too! Instead of going to be at a reasonable hour I’m up on this Until 1am saying “just 1 more run”. & im up at 545am, I’m knackered lol. Don’t even mind repeating sections anymore and unlocked loads of various routes now. 

Made it to the palace (after the 2nd boss) a few times, struggling from there though, not really lasting long enough to learn the enemies lol. One of the areas where you press the switch which wakes up a load of enemies isn’t a mofo too. Those that teleport you to them are right bastards if there’s more than one about. On my best run I got lucky with a pick up worth 80,000 gold and got a crossbow which did 8000 damage, basically one shot everything. It was mint. Unfortunately got malaise in a fight with 2 elites which I just couldn’t survive. Was certain that was my run to the end too! Ah well. 

Agreed on the turrets, the one which shoots in both directions is essential in my runs. I love how this game has encouraged me to use different weapons too, I’m even liking the boot weapon which I thought was terrible at first. 

One question for the long timers though, do you know if it’s worth going the alternate routes once you’ve unlocked the runes apart from for blueprints? Do you get better weapons and more upgrades usually? It’s just the regular route is significantly easier. But I’m not sure if I’m missing out on better weapons doing that. 

9 hours ago, mfnick said:

One question for the long timers though, do you know if it’s worth going the alternate routes once you’ve unlocked the runes apart from for blueprints? Do you get better weapons and more upgrades usually? It’s just the regular route is significantly easier. But I’m not sure if I’m missing out on better weapons doing that. 

It depends on how you want to play it really. You’ll get more blueprints going the alternate routes, but whether they’re better is down to your personal perference. There’s also the school of thought that if you’ve got a bunch of weapons/abilities that you like, the more you unlock new ones you effectively “water down” your chances of getting the ones you like in future runs.

It’s a school of thought I don’t personally buy into though as one of the joys of the game for me is unlocking new skills and seeing what they can do. It’s also nice to see other areas of the game for varieties sake and mix up your runs a bit. They are tough areas at first, but you’ll get used to them.  

Just read your post again @mfnick ?

Ignore the first paragraph as that doesn’t answer your question really ha ha.

Second is applicable though.

It’s only High Peak Castle that potentially gives me trouble these days, so I like using a variety of routes. Don’t forget as well that elite versions of different enemies drop new blueprints, so you possibly haven't got all the ones you maybe could do from any stages you rarely visit.