passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dead Cells

Hendo

I got to the first boss for the first time yesterday, I'd got lucky & got a really good bow as a random drop so was able to easy kill anything that moved.  Managed to beat him but think it might be a while until I get back to him.

There just something about this game that makes me want to just keep having one more run.  Makes a change as I'm not normally one for this sort of game.

It’s definitely got that “one more go” factor. Especially when you end a run and think “Nah,I can do better than that” and start again.

I’ve definitely improved thanks to a combo of turrets,bows,rolls,and taking a more careful approach. I can get through the Toxic Sewers mostly unscathed,and the first boss isn’t even a challenge anymore. 

Got to the Forgotten Sepulcher for the first time this morning,though I didn’t get through it this time. Shame,as I’ve lost an item that set the floor on fire when I ran across it,which was a lot of fun.

I do generally enjoy roguelikes, but I reckon Dead Cells is my favourite. There just always seems to be a feeling that you’re making that little bit of progress with each run. Many other roguelikes just feel like you’re repeatedly smashing your head against a wall.

It’s thrown around a lot these days, but I think the “hard but fair” description fits Dead Cells more than any other game I’ve played. Plus this steep difficulty is accompanied by some great quality of life design, which means I never, ever get frustrated (except for maybe with myself for making a silly decision and blowing a good run).

9 minutes ago, AndyKurosaki said:

Got to the Forgotten Sepulcher for the first time this morning,though I didn’t get through it this time. Shame,as I’ve lost an item that set the floor on fire when I ran across it,which was a lot of fun.

For my money (apart from the final area) this is the hardest stage. The enemies aren’t TOO bad, but the dark/light mechanic makes it very hazzardess at times. It’s easier if you get that light item (forgot the name) at the beginning but this costs money and takes up an ability slot. Decisions, decisions.

Yeah,I saw a few enemies from previous areas,but lost a lot of health from being in the dark. I was so busy fighting that I didn’t realise why my health was draining. So it wasn’t a good first run lol!

And you’re right,it’s definitely hard but fair. Any time I’ve died,it’s because I cocked up.

Managed to get through the Clock Tower just now. It was tricky, but taking it steady,and liberal use of turrets and traps made it survivable.

Reached the second boss,died on my first attempt. Gutted,as she was down to at least 25% health,so I nearly had it. Hopefully a few more goes and I’ll manage it.

I wouldn’t worry about those. I ran like a maniac to open one,and it was mostly tat.

Just beat the second boss,who was trickier than the first. But traps+turrets+frost blast won the day. Unfortunately the Castle area then quickly kicked my arse. From new enemies that left me thinking “what do you do? Oh...OW!”. To getting locked in a room with two elites and a floor full of poison blood. That finished me off.

Still,it’s good to be making progress. There was a time when I dreaded the Clock Tower. Now,patience makes that area not too bad.

Yeah I died to the first boss a few times,until I got the hang of him. Traps and turrets definitely help,as does Frost Blast. Once he’s trapped,you can get a few hits in. Freeze him,rinse and repeat. After a few hits and his red shield thing appears,steer clear. Then he’s a cakewalk. Mostly.

I was round a mate's place for New Year and he started up a run on his PC. He said he got to the final level before but no further. Then proceeded to finish the final level and kill the boss. I get the impression that you're meant to do it all again at least two more times, maybe.

Really impressive run, though, and made me re-evaluate my tactic of using fire and ice grenades and instead go all in on the turrets that you throw down to fire on both sides.

Yeah. I've barely touched the Z traps n stuff. Only on the first boss. Which I beat last night. 

I'm just used to playing it like a straight up action game and rolling around n slashing or freezing stuff. 

Anyway. The boss dropped a nice gold/legendary type shield. Now, I don't like the shields. Evasion is my game. But it was gold. 

So I dropped my beloved Frost blast and took the shield. 

I regret my choice ?

Yeah I’d never take a shield,and when I have Frost Blast,that’s a keeper as it’s so useful.

Decent gear certainly helps a good run,just as crap items can ruin it. One had me start with the Spartan Kick,man that thing sucks. I picked up a rapier,which wasn’t much better. Then got an assassins dagger. Which did 300% damage per hit. Unfortunately it increased damage received by 300%, a gamble that did not end well for me?

And this is what I was saying earlier about the downside to the game. Leaving out the people that are god like at this game, the only real winning build is freeze and turrets and also those bows that act like shotguns. They’re amazing. 

But anything else and it makes a hard game an exceptionally hard game. You can always ‘git gud’, I guess, but I think it’s kind of an under pinning problem with the game when it has so many weapons and 97% of them you would never use if you didn’t have to

I always go for an ice weapon along with turrets set up. For my melee weapon I don’t have a preference really, but I try and make sure it’s got bonus damage on frozen/slowed enemies.

I don’t like how some of the most fun weapons to use (grappling hook, boomerang) just don't seem that viable.

Hopefully update 1.1 will hit consoles soon and bring everything more into line.

Full list below for anyone who’s interested ?

https://dead-cells.com/patchnotes