passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dead Cells

Hendo

Only played a few minutes before I go to sleep, but yep, pretty sweet so far.

One thing I thought was really cool is that one of the menu options is you can change the appearance of the food in game. Could be as simple as you’re veggie or vegan and you would rather not everything be meat, but there’s also some silly options like “Castlevaniaesque” and “monster”.

In related and weird news, IGN (or their freelancer) appear to have stolen an indie guy’s video review script. Apparently IGN hav taken down their review while they investigate.

I got gifted this on Steam for my birthday last year. I gave it a quick couple of runs and really liked it, then put it back on the shelf to mature (come out of Early Access).

I've just started Yakuza 0, but hopefully I'll find time around playing that to give it another try now it's finished.

Can get to the second area pretty easily but no further.

There’s some obvious abilities that I’m missing, looking like one of them is to grow an organic ladder, Mario style.

The best loadout I’ve had so far is a sword that causes bleeding, a bow and an ice grenade that freezes them in place for a little bit.

I tried going with shield in secondary but I just kept forgetting it was there and instead I just favour going all in on damage.

I got pretty far in my last run.  I got to a Clock Tower with some really scary enemies that did crazy damage.  It felt like a big spike from the previous level.

There is also an alternative rout in the first level but I haven;t done it yet.  First I culdn't deal with the exploding bats but once I got used to them I'd just get destroyed by the Elite Enemy in there.  I can usually deal with them but I was just unlucky both times.

Oh and a sole shield user.  Love me a good parry mechanic.  I use grenades and parrying projectiles back for ranged fights.  

I had to totally remap my buttons though

Spoiler

DkCJ7PgUwAAMWZT.jpg

This is excellent stuff. I made it to the third area last night. I have the vine, health potion, and 3k gold when I resurrect.

I'm going to have a fiddle with the control layout, too I think. It's a bit fiddly pressing X (on Switch) to use the shield.

There's an elite I keep trying to fight and I think he has another permanent ability but I just can't beat him.  He's one of the big swordsmen and he's quicker so dodging or parrying is hard to do.  Then all his dumb buddies show up and you can't see shit.  Oh, and to make things more fun spikes line the walls.  I think I need to go in with something icy to slow the fucker down.

Got to the boss, nearly had him but he stomped me as I was healing.

Had a few more runs and got to him again and knocked holy fuck out of him.

Now unlocked the daily challenge and the blacksmith.

I’m massively favouring the bow at this point for secondary weapon. I love the slow heavy weapons but my play style is much more fast and frantic so I’m largely sticking with the faster swords, or whips if I can find them.

Such a time sink of a game - they don’t even give you the option to restart, you just do.

I dunno what keeps happening.  After consistently being able to get to the fifth level I keep dying on the second now. 

And the alternate third level is still proving to be a problem. 

If my reactions aren't on point it can be very easy just to lose 2/3s of HP sometimes. 

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Got to the Clock Tower, which is the furthest for me so far. Needless to say, didn’t last long but only lost 3 Cells.

Have you been to The Ossuary yet? 

I think I can finish the level if I avoid the boss there but I want to beat it cos I bet it has a new ability.  Its a total wanker. 

The Ossuary is way before the Clock Tower.  You need the teleport to get to it. 

You get it quite early but I can't remember how I got it. I sort did by accident. 

The fact it's early is part of the problem.  You don't have many buffs and good equipment. 

So should I stop going through the Promenade and instead go more into the Toxic Sewers to progress?

I keep seeing that thing that you press to zap which I presume is a teleport but haven’t got that ability yet.

Beat the daily challenge once now. Doesn’t work how you expect it to, it’s not a one-off, fail and have to wait till the next day. Just seems to be a scripted map that you can play over if you fail.

Found the best bow. Arrow forward, behind, diagonal and toxic cloud.

Edit:

Found the teleport rune. I’d come across the guy behind the bars before but died trying to kill the enemy and each time since I’d had low health but just went kamikaze on his ass to get it done.

On 14/08/2018 at 17:08, DifferentClass said:

Have you been to The Ossuary yet? 

I think I can finish the level if I avoid the boss there but I want to beat it cos I bet it has a new ability.  Its a total wanker. 

Finally got there as I googled how to progress and it does indeed finish with a vital rune.

Pretty nasty level but not nearly as bad as other new one I went into which messes around with light and dark to fuck you up.