passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Buying a laptop...

Manicm

For someone with a degree in computer science and years of pc experience I’m a bit embarrassed to ask but I’ve been off the grid for a few years, and have no idea what to start looking at.

After recommendations for a new laptop, my needs:

Will be used to back up apple devices, access my hdd’s for both music and photo’s. Photo storage and editing, web use that a tablet could do. Usual office stuff as needed.

I was toying with the idea of a mini pc under the tv, but thought a laptop would be better as I can just take it with me. Not too fussed if it’s a traditional HDD or a flash memory, but would need 256gb at least for temporary storage before transferring to my hdd.

What spec should I be looking for? Thanks 

Not sure about the App stuff, but I got a great deal on a Dell laptop recently in their July black Friday sale - 17inch screen with an i78750h processor, 8gig ram, GTX 1060 max graphics for £850. It'll play most games at 1080p high settings with a decent frame rate (not really put it through it's paces).

I'm really impressed with it so far. Some reviews state the only downside is the screen, but to my eye it looks great. 

I found the SSD to be the thing that ramped the price up a lot on laptops - mine came with a cheapo 128gig one but you can get a decent 256gig nVME drive for about £80 online. Quick google just found this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/250gb-samsung-970-evo-m2-2280-pcie-30-x4-nvme-ssd-phoenix-mlc-v-nand-3400mb-s-read-1500mb-s-write-20?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsv6D5__N3AIVQrDtCh0YVQhEEAQYASABEgIClPD_BwE

Your best bet will be to keep an eye on hotukdeals and exercise some patience, some cracking deals come up there. 

I went for a base unit in the end, oh forced my hand as she changed phones and sat there wondering why her music wasn’t on the new one yet all her apps etc was...

Got an i3 processor, 3.2ghz, 8gb ram, 2tb hdd, cheap graphics card with hdmi output so I can plug it straight into the tv, might use it as a media storage dock and iPhone.

Im surprised that Sony or Xbox haven’t noticed a gap and got iTunes on there platform giving the iPhone iPad backup and storage? Maybe the next round?