passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Enter the Gungeon

HandsomeDead

Anyone else picked this up at some point?

It came out first two years ago but it came out just after Nuclear Throne which is a very similar game so I passed on it back then, but it was on sale on Switch recently so I picked it up as I'm struggling in a gaming rut and for some reason, I felt like playing this.

So the game itself.  It's a twin-stick shooter and rogue-like, or rogue-lite if you like.  You are tasked with getting to the bottom of the "Gungeon"; a dungeon that is very gun-themed.  Bullseyes hang from the walls like sigils, revolver-like mechanisms teleport you around the area and other gun-themed devices litter the medieval style Gungeon.  You make your way through shooting enemies (a strange bunch; walking bullets and shells with corresponding guns, knights, ghosts, a mini-gun wielding crow.  These are the more normal agitators).  To help you through these oddballs you have a diving roll with generous invincibility frames and one of the most varied arsenals of guns but in a video game (citation needed).

You have four characters to chose from who start with different weapons, consumable skills and passive skills.  Even more of both kinds of skills can also be found in the Gungeon along with the weapons.  The Pilot, for example, gets a lockpick which means he has a chance of opening chests without needing a key, but if it fails the lock is broken and the chest is sealed shut.  The Space Marine starts with a piece of armour giving him an extra hit point.

I'm actually having quite a hard time with it.  I can sometimes get to the fourth floor but I'm not sure if that is good or not.  I did rescue a guy one run where he says he can let me skip floors but I don't know how far down I have to go before he lets me use the shortcut.  I bet it's the fifth floor.  And while I mostly do okay in the Gungeon itself the bosses can be a bit of a bullet hell nightmare and its here I usually mess up, even on the first boss on particularly bad runs.

But it does have that "one more go" factor which is important in games like this.  It's just fun to play, rolling through bullets, flipping a table for cover and shooting a switch that makes a chandelier fall on a bunch of idiots.  And seeing what guns come up is kinda fun too, in an "I recognise that!" kind of way.  Some guns are your usual, Uzis, AK47s, etc; and you also have wackier ones like t-shirt cannons, giant shells that fire shotguns, a barrel that fires fish, etc; and also references!  A taste of what I've come across is Barret's from FFVII's arm cannon, Judge Dread's gun and the Proton Pack.  And many more!

Definitely one for the rogue-like likers out there.

I found myself playing this a lot this week.

I watched a stream of it because I wasn't sure if what I was doing was good enough.  And it's not.  But I found out how to unlock a bunch of secret levels and it has made me enjoy the game a lot more.  Turns out there are just five floors so I'm actually not that far from the end but there are also a bunch of hidden ones.  In a way, it makes the game harder but you also have more opportunity to pick up more guns, items and buffs so, in theory, it should make the later floors easier?

I dunno.  The streamer I watched made it look easy, the arse.

Yes!  I finished a standerd run.  Only took 30 hours to git gud.

But now I have to get the true ending.  I know how to do it, but actually doing it is another question.

I was really lucky early on getting great guns but all rogue-likes come down to luck at times.  There are things called 'synergies' where some weapons and items boost each other.  I got the M1 and a ammo belt that where you can store more ammo but together when you have the M1 equipped it boosts your speed.  The synergy is called Multi-tool and it works in a similar way to the MIDAs in Destiny 2.  The ammo belt also synergised and powered up a laser gun I had that made it an awesome boss killer.  I was switching between those and not a lot stood a chance.

I'm having a really good time.  Not enjoyed a rogue-like this much since FTL.  If Dead Cells entertains as much as this then I'll be a happy boy.

• 2 weeks later...

I've still been on this regularly.  I've got the proper ending for three of the four main characters but I'm having the worst luck with him.  It'd the pilot that I have left who has the worst starting weapon and a lockpick.  The lockpick should make things easier but it only works 50% of the time and seals the lock if it fails.  I'm just having awful luck with that a lot and having bad starts.

It's odd because I did get to the final character exclusive final boss but I wasn't expecting it since it was the first time I got to it and wasn't expecting it.  Plus after doing the others the pilot's is kinda weird comparatively and I died before I knew what was happening.  I just can't get to it now and it's kinda frustrating.

After I've done that I can get the proper proper ending and then that's another thing to fight through and I've seen it and it does look really hard.

And then after that, I can go for the new route that was added in the Gungeons and Draguns content update...

*sighs"

And I can try and figure out how to unlock the final hidden character if I feel that's not enough...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

New Gungeon Update on 6th April

Enter the Gungeon turns three years old next week, and it's getting one final expansion to celebrate.

"A Farewell To Arms" will be the game's final free update, which will be available on April 5 (the game's third anniversary). Two new playable characters, a "Rainbow Mode" and a new dungeon will be available, as well as more guns.

Previous expansions for the game included "Supply Drop" and "Advanced Gungeons and Draguns".

Probably just for me but I guess I'll be back on this next month.