passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Octopath Traveller

DANGERMAN

I explored the Carrion Caves and Twin Falls areas and beat the “bosses” there, then found out that they also show up as regular enemies, dropping 6000 gold per fight. I love the design of the large boss enemies (the regular enemies are pretty drab). I realised in these boss fights that Therion is more useful than I gave him credit for, as an attacking force he’s pretty weak but his attack and defense debuffs are excellent. I also realized that these enemies can be captured which is pretty cool, my catch percentage was zero though... Anyway my team has leveled up a lot from exploring those two areas, got a couple more to go.

30 hours now. I went into the final cave I had left unexplored, Hoarfrost Grotto, a level 25 place near Flamesgrace, but the enemies were pretty strong so I warped out.

So I headed towards Noblecourt for Therion’s second chapter. The area north of Noblecourt has a danger level of 45+! Not going there just yet. I found a shrine which unlocked the scholar as a secondary job, my first secondary job and probably the most useful to have. Exploring Noblecourt now and already there is a big jump in the quality of the items I can purchase and steal. 

Finished Therion’s second chapter and I’m now in the town for Primrose’s second chapter but I’ve forgotten the name of it, Winter something. I’ve unlocked the cleric as a secondary job.

I like the structure of the map in this game, how you start in the centre and work your way outwards.

• 6 months later...

Done 8 hours since Sunday! That's weird for me, but I can't stop picking up the switch for a quick battle. Such a great combat system, fast with loads of feedback on the screen and in the joycons. Up to now I'm really enjoying winging it, but if anyone has any tips on how to get the most out of the game I'm all ears (eyes).

I've heard and read conflicting viewpoints, either stick with 4 characters, or collect all 8 and swap them around if and when required. I'm leaning towards the latter as I tend not to rush games like this. I played bravely default over a year with breaks for other games. I got there in the end, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally beat all 8 first chapters. Only took me 21 hours! 

Gonna search thru some of the caves and forests I've encountered in this adventure. Decided to bypass everything until I had all 8 characters so I could pick and choose for levelling purposes. Some need more attention than others, it seems.

I'm glad I chose olberic as my main protagonist, though. Sumbitch knows how to swing a sword.

• 4 months later...

Splitting my time between Skyrim and this at the mo. So I've started the 3rd chapters with Alfyn the apothecary, who's a right do-gooder, and always rubbing people up the wrong way by undercutting his fellow quacks, or healing criminals so they can get back to thieving and kidnapping maidens.

The guy's a bleedin menace.

Finished Alfyn's third chapter. Decent boss fight, with multiple stances, but nothing my team couldn't handle.

I'm not sure I really like the approach to storytelling here. Some of the eight tales are sort of compelling but, blimey, Alfyn's third chapter could've been scribbled in the back of a matchbox. It was thin, thin I say.

The gameplay is fab though. Best turn based system I've come across, although I'm in no way an officianado of the genre. 

Imagine this battle system with one deep involving story. Ahh, well.

• 3 weeks later...

I was puzzled for a bit at the boss of Therion's chapter 3. Being a bit of a tea leaf he basically shielded his physical weaknesses and then knicked all my items so I couldn't charge up SP for magic and special moves. Tricky.

Decided to use items for healing and soul stones for attacks so I could get thru to halfway in the fight fully stocked in meter, before he lifted my items. 

This fecked him up good, and I realized that soulstones are pretty much a way to lower the difficulty on a stubborn boss in this game. Sort of like excorcism slips in okami.

Need to look into getting some better gear. Not that I'm struggling much, but when I came across this 'wizard's rod' it fired up my casters damage to the tune of about 400 percent. I'm thinking there must be similarly powerful swords and bows lying around.

Finished all chapter 3s, and now I'm entering and beating some of the level 50 dungeons that are dotted around the map. You get a warning about your impending doom before you reach the boss, which is nice. But I've pushed thru on 3 of them now, and emerged battered but victorious. 

This game makes you earn it, though.

?Tadaaa?

Finally finished one of the eight stories, Tessa's, as it happens. Final boss didn't give me that much trouble to be honest. Mainly physical attacks which I was able to nullify with my thief.

I reckon I can pretty much bounce thru the other 7 stories. I'm at a good level and I know what I'm doing, mostly.

Tessa's main job is merchant, and if anyone is thinking of having a crack at this it's a set up which can really ease passage thru what is a fairly challenging game (for these days).

She has a donate bp move, meaning you can power up your main damage dealers to deliver their big specials frequently. Really tips the balance, that one.

Seems you get the credits when u finish your lead characters story. And I'm watching them right now after taking down Olberic's final boss, a vicious despot called Werner, who enjoyed watching his subjects burn 4 at a time at a weekly bonfire. Git.

Always fear final bosses in Jrpgs as they always seem a bit of a slog. You have to do 8 in this sumbitch!

You should. Beware that the gameplay is highly addictive, and makes nearly every other turn based game I've played seem rather rote. 

I've tried the new dragon quest demo on switch, and that feels so archaic after OT, I might just leave it out. 

Interesting. Do u mean you feel you have to grind to move forward?

That's true up to a point. I'd say a couple of levels above the advised level is enough, plus that only applies to your lead character. The game is gear based more than level based, and you can improve character stats by eating nuts at any time.

I don't know. I haven't struggled that much to be honest, and as @Maf often likes to point out, I'm pretty bad at videogames.