MFGamers

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

DisturbedSwan

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nintendo cuts voice actor over emotional abuse

Nintendo is replacing a voice actor in new game Fire Emblem: Three Houses after he admitted emotionally abusing ex-partners and friends.

The role-playing game was only released last week, but an update is already planned to remove Chris Niosi.

He posted an apology and explanation on Tumblr a few days before the game was released.

"I have horribly mistreated and abused friends, colleagues and even my significant others," he wrote.

He says he was prompted to write the post after a recent ex-girlfriend detailed the abuse she had experienced during their relationship.

In it she wrote: "I dated him from September 2017 to April 2019 and it was a miserable experience to say the least."
Chris Niosi responded: "I have accepted that by talking about all of these things, my life is going to change and there will be consequences."

He wrote personal apologies to two ex-girlfriends, three former friends and two former fans.

Nintendo announced its decision regarding his appearance in Fire Emblem after the Tumblr posts were published.

"After assessing the situation, we decided to re-record the character's voiceovers in Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Fire Emblem Heroes with another actor," the company said in a statement.

"The new voiceovers will be included in a future patch [a game update]."

Chris voiced Byleth, one of the main characters in the new Fire Emblem game.

A trailer released on 26 July, the day the game was released, reportedly includes the voice of another actor.

7 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

I dated him from September 2017 to April 2019 and it was a miserable experience to say the least.

Is it insensitive to point out the timeframe here? It's like those Destiny players who said the game was super boring and had about 500 hours on the clock.

8 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Is it insensitive to point out the timeframe here? It's like those Destiny players who said the game was super boring and had about 500 hours on the clock.

It’s more like someone being trapped in an abusive relationship than people’s comments on game time and you should think before saying something that stupid in the future. 

3 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

It’s more like someone being trapped in an abusive relationship than people’s comments on game time and you should think before saying something that stupid in the future. 

If you describe an abusive relationship that made you feel trapped as "it was a miserable experience to say the least" then you're not really painting the darkest of pictures. That's how I would describe an overcrowded concert hall with bad smell, not something as serious as this. And seeing this is the only thing I've read from her I'm obviously not automatically going to assume it must have been worse than she was making it sound like. I wasn't there of course but neither were you so maybe keep yourself in check next time before jumping at my throat.

17 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

If you describe an abusive relationship that made you feel trapped as "it was a miserable experience to say the least" then you're not really painting the darkest of pictures. That's how I would describe an overcrowded concert hall with bad smell, not something as serious as this. And seeing this is the only thing I've read from her I'm obviously not automatically going to assume it must have been worse than she was making it sound like. I wasn't there of course but neither were you so maybe keep yourself in check next time before jumping at my throat.

I'm sorry but no. You literally compared someone in an abusive relationship, regardless of severity, to people that play a game a long time and say they don't like it. That's what you said and what I reacted to. You asked if it was insensitive and yes, it is.

@DANGERMAN Will do.

1 hour ago, Maryokutai said:

If you describe an abusive relationship that made you feel trapped as "it was a miserable experience to say the least" then you're not really painting the darkest of pictures.

In fairness, why should that person have to give the full picture of how bad their relationship was? Why do we need to know that? Why does anyone get to say how good or bad their relationship based on that specific term when it may just be a case of wanting to get past it and not wanting to live through it again?

What's an acceptable picture to paint in this situation? Or should we see that this guy has admitted he's made mistakes, caused hell for at least one person and maybe she doesn't want to pile on him like everyone else did. Or should we maybe think that if they were in an abusive relationship that she's still scared of him and so she's trying to distance herself from saying anything too detailed?

There are many, many reasons she could have phrased it the way she did and it's not for any of us to say how bad her experience was based on that.