passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Control

DisturbedSwan

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Remedy: Game won't have fetch quests, will deliver the 'telekinesis master' power fantasy

In a recent interview published in the latest GamesTM magazine (issue 205), Kasurinen took the opportunity to explain that Control will deliver on the power fantasy of being a telekinetic master, something he feels no game successfully accomplished in all regards before.

The first point I made was that this is a game about control; it’s about controlling the environment and controlling elements. That’s the main thing of the game. Telekinesis felt like a really natural first step towards that, establishing that as a key gameplay pillar. Jesse is essentially a telekinetic master and is able to use it to control the environment, use it to defend herself and to attack enemies and even able to use it to fly. It opened up a lot of interesting possibilities, but still with an elegant core idea, and of course that led to us thinking very carefully about how we built the environments, and also embracing new workflows – we have a more modular structure to the world, which allows us to add that layer of complexity and detail in the destruction of every single piece in the environment.

He also discussed the side missions that will supplement the main story. Long story short, Kasurinen reassured fans that there won’t be any ‘fetch’ quests in Control at all.

There is the main campaign, which is all about Jesse assuming the role of director of The Federal Bureau of Control – of her earning that role and dealing with the Hiss, the strange force that has taken over The Oldest House. But as she tries to figure that out and follow the main campaign she will be presented with a lot of different options that she can tackle if she wants.

We wanted each one to feel relevant or to at least be an interesting thing for you to do. We want to avoid busywork and meaningless fetch quests in Control, which side quests can so easily become.

• 5 months later...

GI also has a 5 minute video going over the powers in this game. It’s worrying because the developer is talking about these powers the main character has, like force push and evade dashing, like these are brand new concepts and haven’t been in a number of games already since the early 2000’s. Fuck, Quantum Break had this shit. 

I think the interesting thing is he said it’s a Metroidvania. Which I really like and you don’t see many 3D ones, but then the environments seem all office based and very drab.

I don’t know. I thought this game was interesting in the beginning, but this video has done the opposite of what it’s supposed to do. 

This could still be cool, but expectations definitely lowered 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lot of great impressions coming out of E3 about this game. Quite surprised because last time I saw a trailer for this I was left a bit cold, but apparently this is one to look out for 

Looking forward to this too. EDGE had a good article about it a couple of issues ago.

I'm not watching any videos or trailers for this though. My "no info" lifestyle worked great for Plague Tale and I plan to continue that way.

I think this will be better than the Star Wars game that's coming. I do worry it'll look very samey though, I've only watched a bit of it and it all looks very Men in Black as far as the building goes. Hopefully there's a bit of variation to it.