passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gears 5

DisturbedSwan

I'm not sure how far I got through Gears 4, I played a fair bit of it in co-op with a mate.

I'm far more interested in the tactics game though.

Also worth pointing out at no point do they use the words "of War". They seem to have dropped it down to just "Gears".

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Also worth pointing out at no point do they use the words "of War". They seem to have dropped it down to just "Gears".

They announced GoW4 as Gears 4 years ago, will be the same deal for Gears 5.

For me it looked good enough, I enjoyed Gears 4 more than a lot of folks I've encountered online - played almost the entirety of it with Kyle from GamesTM - but seeing the robots in this (albeit with lambent material weaved throughout) didn't exactly turn me on.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't like it too much. Kait's head looks too big and the weird red thing sticks out like a sore thumb.

Speaking of Kait, I wonder how the game will be received. The original trilogy was basically the dudebro mantra written down in code and I never really found out whether people actually liked it or just ran with it because the games were good. Personally I really like 4 and the story beats that Kait brought with her.

I would rather not have a female lead because I always liked how Gears was a masculine game. Not just in the sense that it had men in, everything does. It just felt like it dealt with everything in a uniquely masculine way. Characters weren't emotionally stilted because they were written by someone like that, it was all by design. I thought the story was always really good, then once Karen Traviss came on board the story developed so much more nuance and I remember my bros who hadn't read the books being completely lost with the third game because so much had changed. 

I'll still play it and go into it with an open mind but I'm not expecting to be all that engaged by the story. Much like I wasn't engaged with 4 until the gang came back into it and the emotional side of the relationship between JD and Marcus began to develop.