passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

illdog

I started this on Friday with zero expectations but, as easily pleased boy is, i was pleased with it, easily.

Its basically GTA at school - steal bikes instead of cars, shoot slingshots instead of guns, kiss young girls instead of raping/murdering prostitutes.

As usual in these sorts of games (with me anyway) the plot soon became a distant memory as i chose instead to see how many steps i could olly up on my skateboard and to see how many people would fight me at the carnival.

Its got its own version of Paperboy in there too, im lovin that at the moment, as well as the Go Karts and the Bike Races. Oooh, and the Lawnmowing jobs too, awesome!

Cant remeber how many hours ive put in but im nearly 40% through and im only at the end of Chapter 3 (out of 5). Its not the scale of any GTA game but its much bigger than i expected.

Bully's another one of those games that gets better the more you play it. Once you unlock the skateboard your more free, once you get a bike and the outside opens up your free-er still.

The first chapter is based around the school, but chapter 2 onwards introduces the other factions, like the Preps, Nerds and the Greasers, then the missions tend to be more on the rivalries between then and has you always stuck i the middle.

Jimmy is a top fighter, some dirty hobo's been teaching me better fighting moves so now i can kick two or three peoples ass at the same time. Just like real life!

The instant anyone see's this for £20 you'd be an absolue fool not to buy it.

Not having played GTA IV i have to ask, is it glitchy?

I know this is essentially a port of a PS2 game but there are some things that are starting to infuriate me in Bully. I was playing this arcade game called Nutshot (at the funfair - sidetracking ftw!), and I die for no fucking reason, obviously im like wtf? So i carry on playing, die legit, carry on with my last life and die again for no reason. I thought it was a fluke till i played it again this morning and it happened 3 times in 30 seconds. Shite.

So next im doing this mission called Panty Raid, you have to break into the girls dorms and steal 5 pairs of crusties. You sneak around the dorms, stealing knickers from the girls rooms, all the while avoiding the teachers patrolling the corridors. To avoid one teacher whilst nickin a pair of cacks from the shower room i had to hide in the bin. The teacher outside then got stuck in the wall just outside where i was hiding and couldnt move, i saw her line of vision (a la MGS) gittering around on my mini map and knew i had no chance but to just get caught as she was going nowhere. Luckily you keep the panties you've already stolen and just get booted out the front door, leaving you to climb back up the ladder leading to the second floor window thats conveniently open. So i sneak back down the stairs, run past a teacher who's in one of the dorms, try to run into a bedroom where a pair of knicks are and this fat bitch is just stood in the doorway saying 'Hi Jimmy' and there's no way past her girth. She's not moving no matter what i do so she's obviously stuck there and i get booted out again. Rubbish!

I suppose thats a few isolated incidents in a fairly huge playing field so its not to be said these glitches are common, just annoying when they come along.

Not having played GTA IV i have to ask, is it glitchy?

Not really, nothing like that happened in any of my GTA sessions anyway.

Also, Apollo Justice and Bully - is panty-stealing the new quick-time-event?

Jimbozak wrizzle

yeah that does sound frustrating, but on a sidenote, it sounds like a game for you

and..

Also, Apollo Justice and Bully - is panty-stealing the new quick-time-event?

LOLzor - panties should be in every game. Im serious.

I finished this over the weekend, all in all it was an excellent game despite a few minor niggles. Not sure if i can be arsed to 100%, there's too much fiddly stuff to do, the school classes bore me (just like in real life) and i can be bothered to find all the elastic bands and playing cards and shit like that. I think i played for 20+ hours in the end.

Great alternative if you want GTA style gaming, just a little less serious.

• 4 years later...

BUMP.

This is 1380MSP/£11.24 on the 360 Marketplace for another day or so, as part of the Rockstar DotW. I'm pretty tempted to buy it, as copies go for a high price on eBay and the like and I've always wanted to try it. Will it still hold up?

EDIT: So the people behind Sleeping Dogs made this? I'm in.

This is from a post on GAF, take it as you will.

So, we had heard many times that much of the team of Sleeping Dogs was the same team as Bully (old rockstar Vancouver).

So I just finished the game (fucking amazing, one of my favourite games of the generation) and wanted to test something. So I just did screencaps from the credits to compared them to the Bully credits.

The result, the whole majority of Rockstar Vancouver went and made United Front.

Sleeping Dogs and Bully have the same game director, same producers, same writer (Dan Houser cowrited Bully with Jacob Krarup, same writer as in SD), and lots of lead designers are also in both. Of course lots of new people also, some of them from Volition for example, but now you know exactly why the feel of both games are really similar.

For one that makes me sad becuase that means that theres not going to be a real Bully 2, but for the other I cant wait for the next game United Front does because they are really an awesome team!

• 4 weeks later...

Started this, put an hour or two into it.

It's pretty good but I've had a problem with the controls on occasion. Sometimes Jimmy doesn't seem to want to walk in the direction that I want him to. It very much feels like a rezzed-up PS2 game.

Also, on that point, the art style in the loading screens, all cel-shaded cartoon drawings is much better than the polygons you actually get in the game. I'd really like Rockstar to do something with that art style in game.

Having said all that, I could see me getting properly stuck into it and going OCD crazy as usual.

• 4 years later...
On 23/06/2008 at 7:37 AM, illdog said:

Not sure if i can be arsed to 100%

Dont worry 2008 illdog, you'll find the time in 2017.

47a0967b43.jpg

Brap! I really enjoyed picking this up again. I was thinking as I was playing it "I'd reather a sequel to this than Red Dead". I just had more fun with this. The vistory music is worth playing again for alone.