6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

Not From 2018

1: Enter the Gungeon

58 minutes ago, retroed said:

I discovered it years ago on PS4, though. It's just that this is the first time the game has been released on the Switch so wasn't sure if it would count. I probably won't list it, but it is definitely better than most new games I've played this year, and is amazing on Switch.

Edit: Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition is on my list despite originally coming out on Wii U.

Ah yeah, I didn't think of that, Hyrule Warriors is on my list too but I didn't play it on Wii U.

Whatever you wanna do is fine man :) 

If it helps anyone I've been keeping a list of the most notable releases for this year, for the music podcasts. Not everything, obviously, and no remasters or re-releases but might jog some memories.

Spoiler

January  - Celeste

January - Monster Hunter World

March - Sea of Thieves

March - A Way Out

March - Ni No Kuni 2

March - Far Cry 5

April - Yakuza 6

April - God of War

May - Detroit : Become Human

May - Yoku’s Island Express

June - Mario Tennis Aces

June - Ys VIII

July - Octopath Traveller

August- Dead Cells

August - Donut County

August - Yakuza Kiwami 2

September - Dragon Quest XI

September - Spider-Man

September - Shadow of the Tomb Raider

September - Life Is Strange 2

October - Astro Bot Rescue Mission

October - Forza Horizon 4

October - Fist of the North Star : Lost Paradise

October - Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

October - Call of Duty : Black Ops 4

October - Starlink : Battle For Atlas

October - Return of the Obra Dinn

October - Soul Calibur VI

October - Red Dead Redemption 2

November - The Quiet Man

November - Tetris Effect

November - Hitman 2

November - Fallout 76

November - Battlefield V

December - Darksiders 3

December - Just Cause 4

December - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

December - Earth Defense Force 5

I would disagree. I think if a game launches on PC in 2017 but is ported to consoles in 2018 the its still a 2017 game. Games like Hollow Knight and Undertale are games from 2017. If a film is released in the cinema in 2017 then on DVD in 2018 it’s still a 2017 film. Ridiculous comparison but still.

In short, I’m in favour of being strict.

The problem with being strict is it locks out a vote for people who didn't have the ability to play it on its original release due to system constraints.  And with the Switch release of Hollow Knight for example I think it got talked about and played more then, too.  As staggered releases are a common thing due to smaller studios not having the budget for all format releases I think it's fair to accommodate that more. 

And as for film some get festival releases a year before a general release and are often still considered for awards for the year of thier general release. 

Films are at festivals for buzz and to be bought for distribution around the world by multiple businesses (dependant on the size of the distributor). General release is when it’s fully released/earning money. You wouldn’t say a game is released because it was playable at e3.

I can see @radiofloyd point but also I just think what does it really matter. 

Yeah it's not like we're handing out some prestigious award. It's a bit of forum fun. We can accommodate a little flexibility, within reason, for people. 

I like strict, but I have a very empathetic soul. I'll go with whatever. I've only got like 3 games to put in my list atm anyway ?

14 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

You wouldn’t say a game is released because it was playable at e3.

Are we just gonna ignore the fact that a film at a festival is finished and a demo at E3 is a small, vertical slice of a work in progress.

Maybe I'm being biased.  If we just have what is strictly released in 2018 then I have barely any games at all to choose from.  I don't have many as it is.

13 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Are we just gonna ignore the fact that a film at a festival is finished and a demo at E3 is a small, vertical slice of a work in progress.

Maybe I'm being biased.  If we just have what is strictly released in 2018 then I have barely any games at all to choose from.  I don't have many as it is.

No because that’s not always the case for either examples. 

I don’t really care. But isn’t the general idea to pick the best game of the year? Not the best game we played this year (I mean there’s even another category for that). It’s not about allowing everything just so we have enough games to make a top ten.

But I think my way of thinking is a bit strange anyway. I mean I know people have put games they barely played on their list (this year or previous years). I would never put a game I haven’t finished or substantially played on my list. Like I’ve played Octopath Traveller for 35 hours but that’s nothing in terms of the overall length of the game and I certainly haven’t formed a final opinion of it, same goes for Dragon Quest XI which I’ve played for nearly 60 hours. But once I have a final opinion of them I’ll put them in my list.

anyway it’s 9am and I’m hungover so never mind me.

Like the I said, for me, so long as you're playing on the newly released version/platform I don't see a problem. Think of it as the same as when we used to have to wait for imports, Yakuza 0 for example, no one could have voted for it last year because its original release, that we all could have played of we'd wanted to, was the year before 

Ultimately though, if you don't think a game should count just don't include it in your list, Red Dead is going to win anyway 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/05/2018 at 15:16, Nag said:

Spider-Man, SotTR and RDR2... any one of those three has GotY written all over it. Oh and then there's my dark horse, State of Decay 2. Plenty to look forward to.?

I’m fascinated to know what your list looks like now!