passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

SEGA Mega Drive Mini

HandsomeDead

23 minutes ago, ThreeFour said:

a big muscly man who cracks necks. Oh god I'm getting a semi thinking about them ?

So yes; I'll pull whatever you want ...D has some taste?

EDIT ?

3 minutes ago, Maf said:

All the mechanics are just so basic and I don’t get how you’re supposed to play them well. And every boss in any game I’ve played like that are bullshit. Whether it’s Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Double Dragon, Maximum Carnage, Captain America and the Avengers, Ninja Turtles or whatever. 

It’s all just hit the punch button at people coming towards you, hopefully you spam it enough they don’t hit you first, and then try to outlast the bosses while they have ridiculous I-frames and stuff. 

I don’t think I’ve ever successfully completed a game of this type. They have always seemed to simplistic for any real skill and it’s all a war of nutrition with the game 

there's definitely an element of that with some of them. I think a lot of the old arcade games (Simpsons for example) had that problem, you felt like the odds were so stacked against you that it was less about skill and more about luck

Streets of Rage 2 (and a few other games) had enough of a moveset to them that there was skill to it. timing was important, reading AI behaviour, and learning the levels to an extent. I could, possibly still can, beat Streets of Rage 2 without using a continue, I used to be able to do that on the harder settings, and have beaten it without losing a life. There's definitely a level of skill to it, but I do think it's an example of the exception proving the rule

Also, Guardian Heroes was great, it doesn't get talked about enough

25 minutes ago, OCH said:

EDIT ?

You sexually frustrated boy you. 

@Maf There's definitely skill to some if not most. Knowing what attacks to do on what enemies and bosses weaknesses. Some are more attrition like you say, I mean they were coin ups and so designed to swallow your attempts. But others had enough nuance to them. 

Not many know for example you press down and C when thrown on Streets of Rage 2 to land on your feet thus avoiding throw damage. A lot of the bosses have readable, baitable attacks. That's when you get your hits in. But you don't wail on them as most have a break out move. If you get caught use a special move to break out yourself. 

I remember baiting the skeletons to charge me in Golden Axe near a drop off. Move out the way n let em fall to their doom ?

But most of all it's just satisfying punching mobs in the face ??

Spacing, @Maf.  Crowd control.  You have more options than you think.  Throw a guy into an incoming crowd. SoR2 has a jumping attack where you stun lock enemies instead of knocking them down so you can follow up. 

There are legit fighting game mechanics in these games to experiment with.  It's certainly not just hitting them before they hit you.  That's for rubes. 

SoR3 has even more.  That's why it rules. 

• 4 weeks later...

10 new games announced. Brilliantly one of them requires the 6 button controller to play it properly which isn't included in the western version of the console

- Mega Man®: The Wily Wars

- Street Fighter II’®: Special Champion Edition

- Sonic Spinball

- Phantasy Star IV

- Beyond Oasis

- Ghouls 'N Ghosts®

- Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

- Golden Axe

- Vectorman

- Wonder Boy in Monster World

• 3 weeks later...

The last 12 titles are:

- Tetris
- Darius
- Road Rash II
- Strider
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Alisia Dragoon
- Columns
- Dynamite Headdy
- Kid Chameleon
- Monster World IV
- Light Crusader
- Eternal Champions

Good to see Strider, Dynamite Heady and Road Rash 2 on there. That's 2 6 button fighters that are unplayable with the controller that comes with the machine. 

And why do Sega insist on putting that shit version of Virtua Fighter 2 on everything, just put a 32x emulator on with the original game 

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

32x emulator on with the original game

How about an actual 32X...?

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/4/18652108/sega-genesis-mini-mega-drive-tower-price

Sega is going the extra mile with its Sega Genesis Mini. On Tuesday, the company announced 12 more games for the retro console — including unexpected bonuses Tetris and Darius — bringing the total number of titles on the Sega Genesis Mini to 42, two more than originally promised.

In an even bolder move, Sega revealed that it’s releasing a handful of accessories for the Genesis Mini: recreations of the Sega CD, Sega 32X, and a Sonic the Hedgehog cartridge. All of these can stack to recreate the infamous “Sega Tower of Power,” only on a more diminutive scale.

Those add-on items are purely cosmetic, though. You won’t experience the full 32-bit power of a 32X by plugging it in. But the accessories will offer a more authentic aesthetic experience.

I mean, they don't actually work. But they're there...

You know, I think this could be the best one of these.  To me at least.  I think the SNES mini is pretty good but its line-up is safe and has everything you'd expect. 

But I like how weird they got with this, and the emulation being handled by M2 means they could even perform better than the original versions. 

I might even try and pick one of these up at some stage.