passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

I think they just don't hold it to the same standard as other devices. It's the same for Stadia whenever they cover that though, so I don't think it's a Nintendo thing. They often seem impressed with what it can do "considering", whereas I think as a player/consumer you're comparing directly because it's your money

Nah, I think the 'considering' approach is right.  It's not like they misconstrue the facts so you can still use them to see if something is acceptable or not.  But to do a video and act all disappointed when a mobile chip can't run a game like a PS4 Pro it just comes across as stupid.

I use the Switch in handheld a lot so I would maybe upgrade if it was like when I had £100s kicking around.  But as things are I'm holding out for a 'Switch 2' as I'm fairly sure there won't be a beefed up current Switch.  

7 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

Nah, I think the 'considering' approach is right.  It's not like they misconstrue the facts so you can still use them to see if something is acceptable or not.  But to do a video and act all disappointed when a mobile chip can't run a game like a PS4 Pro it just comes across as stupid.

I don't think anyone thinks they should be doing that. Personally, I think it's like a 5% difference in tone, it's not like they don't say if the switch version really is poor

Ok, I was being hyperbolic but I think they do an honest job as is and put in caveats all over the place.  It's hard not to come out of one of their videos with enough information regarding whether it's up to your own standard, even if they still admire the port on an engineering level.

As a consumer I'm also looking at some aspects "considering" it's a handheld. Witcher 3 on Switch is butt ugly compared to the other versions but it's still a phenomenal achievement in regards to the hardwrae it's running on and I was impressed by it for that reason.

As for the OLED, I think more so than the actual screen I like how small the frame around it is now. I think that's a substantial improvement that's not talked about as much.

But as someone who already has a Switch and does not have a Series X or a PS5 I'd rather put my money towards one of those systems in the coming months. 

On 07/10/2021 at 08:24, Maryokutai said:

As a consumer I'm also looking at some aspects "considering" it's a handheld. Witcher 3 on Switch is butt ugly compared to the other versions but it's still a phenomenal achievement in regards to the hardwrae it's running on and I was impressed by it for that reason.

As for the OLED, I think more so than the actual screen I like how small the frame around it is now. I think that's a substantial improvement that's not talked about as much.

But as someone who already has a Switch and does not have a Series X or a PS5 I'd rather put my money towards one of those systems in the coming months. 

I guess it depends overall, I sold my OG switch for 250 and got the OLED for 100 more so overall, I reckon it's OK :)

I was temped to put it towards a PS5 but there just aren't any games there I'd like, plus the problem of actually getting one 🤣

Yeah, as a replacement it might be a good idea, particularly as the OG Switch is still in high demand due to hackability (that word surely exists). I just for some reason have that mentality of keeping every console so if I'd get an OLED now my original Switch would just sit in the closet forever.

I’ve only played Metroid on it but it’s really great for that game. When entering dark rooms it’s OLED Black so you can only see lights, light reflections and outlines of things. As soon as you enter the room it changes the whole atmosphere. Oppose to that when you enter really big rooms with lots of effects, moving parts bright lights, it also looks great. I was also playing the game on my sofa with all the lights off for extra mood. Metroid on the screen looks really good.

I will also try Metroid on my TV, I plan to play a bunch of different Switch games on it over the weekend as well just to see what they look like. 

Out of the box and a couple of hours with Metroid, though. It’s really nice. 

You have to keep expectations in check, though. It’s still a Switch. Now with a very nice screen.