passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

Wonderful 101 for Smash, then we'd have 179 fighters in that game.

I expect quite a bit of Pokémon and Zelda due to their anniversaries. At least we can expect some new games as far as Pokémon is concerned since there isn't much recyclable material on WiiU of that franchise. For Zelda I just expect the stuff from WiiU, hopefully with Skyward Sword HD as a bonus.

Would be cool to see the Prime Trilogy in there.

Maybe a Silksong shadowdrop? EDGE recently reported the game was closer to release than people might expect.

12 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Kamiya retweeted the direct thing so surely Bayo is gonna show this time.

He now retweeted a picture of Viewtiful Joe.

That would be another Joker situation for lots of Smash Bros. players. "Who's that guy?"

He'd be a cool fit but then again he already was in a wacky fighting game before (MvC3) so personally I'd rather see someone else even though I like those games.

Well that was 50 minutes of my life I’ll never get back ?

Terrible throughout with only Golf, Project Triangle and the Worlds End Club being the highlights. Can’t believe they remastered the worst Zelda.

If I was into Smash Pyra/Mythra would be cool as fuck though.

I think this was solid enough but could easily have been split into a Partner Showcase and a couple of solo announcements from Nintendo.

I was really happy to see them remastering Skyward Sword, which was unfortunately held prison on the Wii with sub-HD resolutions and motion controls most people dislike (I think they worked fine there). It's my favourite Zelda next to BotW and I'll definitely play that again.

The new project from team Octopath looks really promising, I'll check out the demo tomorrow. Unfortunately it looks like it's coming out in 12 months at the earliest.

Having a date for No More Heroes 3 is cool as well, even if the game looks oddly blurry. That's something you usually only see from downgraded ports.

Speaking of downgraded ports, Apex Legends looks horrible.

Why they felt like announcing Splatoon 3 which is coming next year is beyond me.

And if I cared about Smash I'd probably be really happy about Pyrha (even if she makes me wonder why Mai Shirunai was a no-go) but my Smash days are over. I will check her out at my brother's place though, he always has those Fighters Passes ready to go.

5 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Can’t believe they remastered the worst Zelda.

3641BD23-4B35-4FB3-870E-9ECD574E3739.jpeg

That was wonderful for me. More I want than I can buy so can’t complain and was pretty varied. Not a single racer but that’s what you get for not having squishy triggers.

Golf, Skyward Sword and Splatoon 3 in one direct. Looking forward to the next later in the year for Metroid, Zelda and Bayo. 

I didn't think it was that bad, but it wasn't exactly amazing.

Ninja Gaiden looked oddly framey with loads of screen tear. It needs to be ultra smooth. Not that I'm going to buy it again (again), but it was a great game

the Octopath team's game was easily the most interesting thing shown. I hope No More Heroes turns out to be good, I'll possibly buy it regardless. World's End Club could be good, as could those 2 detective games, but it's a wait and see on those. 

Splatoon 3 is obviously good news, but at least a year away so no point getting too excited 

@mmmark yeah, but the game press seem incapable of scoring big Nintendo games properly. Whether you like it or not Skyward Sword has enough problems that 91% is way too high. It took about 8 hours to start for one. Then it kept giving you tutorial text every time you re-entered an area iirc

5 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

@mmmark yeah, but the game press seem incapable of scoring big Nintendo games properly. Whether you like it or not Skyward Sword has enough problems that 91% is way too high. It took about 8 hours to start for one. Then it kept giving you tutorial text every time you re-entered an area iirc

The only major problem it had was collecting these orbs while dodging certain enemies. Can't really recall how it worked but it was basically an even more annoying version of the essence gathering from Twilight Princess.

I don't think it makes any other mistakes. Some aspects people criticised back in the day like the linearity and the small, compressed areas make sense in how it was designed. It's the complete opposite to Breath of the Wild as it guides you through every area and makes you solve the puzzles in the way it was intended. Like BotW, it's not for everyone, but I really loved it. I could totally give it a 91% without faking my enjoyment of it.

16 minutes ago, mmmark said:

3641BD23-4B35-4FB3-870E-9ECD574E3739.jpeg

That was wonderful for me. More I want than I can buy so can’t complain and was pretty varied. Not a single racer but that’s what you get for not having squishy triggers.

Golf, Skyward Sword and Splatoon 3 in one direct. Looking forward to the next later in the year for Metroid, Zelda and Bayo. 

Those scores don’t surprise me. I respect the gaming press folks who reviewed it and thought it worthy of such high scores, but from the Zeldas I’ve played it is easily the worst one. 

It felt like a Zelda by-committee, a by the numbers entry that didn’t do anything to innovate aside from unneeded and poorly implemented motion controls.

@MaryokutaiI'm not going to argue with you, if you liked it that much cool. For me it's not the worst Zelda game but it is the most boring and I think it's madness that it got higher than a 7.

My issue though is that the 93% is an aggregate score. Considering how devisive the game is, that's not reflected in that score. Same for Odyssey. For whatever reason the press have a reverence for Nintendo that imo skews their scores 

IMO tho the same argument can and is often made about GTAIV and RDRII and isn't really a Nintendo thing. I think aggregate scores don't really capture divisiveness as well as reading what people are saying about the game. Maybe it's a case where the people who don't like the game drop them and don't bother to review. That's the assumption I often make, I think that happened where Edge didn't bother to publish a review for Death Stranding until a really long time after release or something cause the guy playing disliked it so much

The Ninja Gaiden collection is kinda disappointing because it's the Sigma games.  If NG Black and OG NG2 were there too it would be cool: Perhaps unnecessary, but cool.

But overall a low-key Direct which since it's the first in ages is a bit of a downer but there's definitely stuff on my radar now.

Big disappointment. The timing was perfect for me, starting at 7am, but man... 

The Octopath strategy rpg was the only thing I would call a “highlight”. There were some wishlist-worthy games shown but most of them were known. Legend of Mana was a nice announcement.

I liked Skyward Sword, from the 10 or so hours I played (certainly more than Spirit Tracks), but I won’t be re-buying it at full price. I’m gonna bring my Wii to Japan next time I go home.

Nothing Xenoblade related

Nothing on SMT III or V

Nothing on Neo TWEWY

Nothing on BOTW2 (other than a strong suggestion that it won’t be coming out this year)

Nothing on Metroid Prime 4 (as expected I guess)

Nothing on bringing Gamecube or GBA games to the Switch

@one-armed dwarfyeah I think it's the same problem, that you've let the fan boys review the game, but there you're talking about specific game franchises whereas it seems to happen across Nintendo's line up.

You could maybe make the case for it happening with Rockstar, but that's a game every 4 years. I could see Sony getting there if they keep the quality up this gen, they've been around long enough. 

On some level, what does it matter. Nintendo fans like Nintendo games. Where's the point in putting someone who's going to be critical on Animal Crossing if its selling to fans. Maybe that's the cause, that Nintendo put out so many sequels. Arms didn't score 90s, despite how much coverage it got, but maybe that still got a bump