DifferentClass

Nintendo Switch

Capcom has been criticised for the pricing of Resident Evil HD, 0 and 4 on Nintendo Switch.

As revealed on the Switch eShop today, each game costs £29.99. This is much higher than fans were expecting - and much higher than the same games on other consoles.

Resident Evil 4, for example, costs £15.99 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It's almost twice that on Nintendo Switch.

Elsewhere, you can get Resident Evil HD and 0 as a bundle together for £23 on PS4.

As you'd expect, the reaction to the pricing online has been negative, with many bringing up the dreaded "Nintendo Switch tax".

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-28-resident-evil-hd-0-and-4-on-nintendo-switch-cost-gbp30-each

😅

On 26/02/2019 at 21:26, wiivo 2.0 said:

Omg. You’re not a fan of Nintendo or the switch? Shocking news. Thanks for posting. 

I’ll be be picking up 4. Maybe the others in a sale. 

Those prices are crazy. Everything always costs a little bit extra on Switch but I can’t think of anything like that before. I think that is Capxom being greedy as well 

I don't get what the strategy is here.  Capcom's other stuff has been in line with the other platforms; the Revelations games and Okami HD come to mind. 

Surely they've considered that they've released these games a lot and know a large portion of the sales will be due to double, triple (or more) dippers. 

Do they plan to pick up a few sales from people with lots of disposable income and the rest during the 70% sale? 

I bet it’s more due to the fact that Resi 2 was really popular and it’s not on Switch. They’re trying to ride that wave a little bit and milk Switch owners who feel like they’re missing out 

It's very odd considering Resident Evil HD was £15.99 at launch on Xbox One and PS4, it's a crazy upmarking on price.

Capcon have previous, remember the Switch SF2 remix pricing? They’re scum when it comes to the business side.

I was definitely going to pick up at least Resi 4 but not at that price, will be waiting for a sale to pick them up at a more reasonable price.  Mind you it's probably not a bad thing as I have plenty of other games to keep me occupied.

11 hours ago, mfnick said:

Capcon have previous, remember the Switch SF2 remix pricing? They’re scum when it comes to the business side.

Well that just came out on Switch, but it has reminded me that the multiformat Anniversary game had a big mark-up on Switch. 

not that this is worth having an argument about, but wasn't the Street Fighter 2 Remix essentially just a port of the Xbox 360 game with some dubious motion control added? It certainly wasn't worth the price when it was just Street fighter 2 with some higher res art plastered on top

Sure, @DANGERMAN but whether that was worth it's price wasn't the discussion here, but price disparity between multiformat version.  And while USF2T didn't add a whole lot to HD Remix it is technically just available on Switch. 

34 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Sure, @DANGERMAN but whether that was worth it's price wasn't the discussion here, but price disparity between multiformat version.  And while USF2T didn't add a whole lot to HD Remix it is technically just available on Switch. 

I do think its relevant to the argument Capcom put a markup on Switch stuff (although it's out on PS3 and 360, just without the hadoken throwing minigame). It might not be literally cross platform port, but that they charged full price for Street Fighter 2 in this day and age is relevant

Well there is the addition of Evil Ryu and Violent Ken are added as well as the digital version of an art book which I believe goes for quite a lot of money. 

And while the new characters use existing art more goes into them mechanically than often is given credit for. 

So no, I do think it's far from a great deal but comparing it as a strict a port as these RE games are is kinda disingenuous.  Especially since the Anniversary Collection is a more accurate comparison. 

Violent Ken?😂... What is he, a wife beater?

Decided to bite the bullet and ordered a new left joy-con from the Curry's eBay site. £40 which feels like a bit of a racket, and with hindsight, should probably have ordered a complete set and then done something else with my current ones, but at least I should have a functional switch again (until righty starts fucking up as well.)

Very tempted by this Devil Engine game but the videos I’ve seen make it look stupid hard