passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

2 is the better game, but if you want to play it on a modern display you can at least play the Wii version. The Original House of the Dead it's the Saturn version or buying an arcade machine (tempting), so hopefully this is decent. 

House of the Dead 4 needs to be come home at some point. VR would be a good fit for old lightgun games 

Edit: also, Typing of the Dead needs to come to GoG 

The technical issue is that lightgun games can't operate as they once did, due to the display differences with CRT and modern screen technology - essentially any 'lightgun' games now (inc. those on the Wii) are really dragged pointer games based on relative referencing - rather than a signal from 'gun' to direct point on screen.

I'm sure that @merman1974 could explain it better.

I'm sure that's not actually the reason they fell out of favour though, I was always a bit disappointed that the Silent Hill arcade lightgun game didn't get a console release.

Wii was different still though, as the remote scanned for two infrared reference points in the room. Which means there was a fixed spot and holding the Wiimote in a certain angle always aimed at the same spot as long as those reference points remained in sight of the sensor. It didn't have that immediate point-and-shoot feel of classic lightguns but it was probably as close as we'd ever get on modern TVs.

The problem with pointers being controlled by motion controls is that there's no reference point outside of what you set it to by calibrating a default position. It sort of works but is unreliable, hence why you always have to re-calibrate during gameplay of Skyward Sword, Splatoon or the Switch version of Mario Galaxy (which actually is a good example, since the original released on Wii and therefore didn't have that issue).

On 15/04/2021 at 12:26, shinymcshine said:

The technical issue is that lightgun games can't operate as they once did, due to the display differences with CRT and modern screen technology - essentially any 'lightgun' games now (inc. those on the Wii) are really dragged pointer games based on relative referencing - rather than a signal from 'gun' to direct point on screen.

I'm sure that @merman1974 could explain it better.

I'm sure that's not actually the reason they fell out of favour though, I was always a bit disappointed that the Silent Hill arcade lightgun game didn't get a console release.

Yeah, classic lightguns either worked with a sensor (think the white flashes in NES Duck Hunt) or by tying into the raster beam position as the TV screen updated.

There is the Sinden Lightgun that works with PCs on modern displays,

1 hour ago, merman1974 said:

There is the Sinden Lightgun that works with PCs on modern displays,

Works with raspberry pi's as well and the dude who's developing it is working on making it console compatible at the moment. I keep hovering over getting one but £80 is quite a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I’d like to trade to upgrade but game only give £145 and I’m not paying £160 for a better screen. I’d hoped they’d have a special promotion. I saw some on hukd got £265 from GAME in July. If they do that again I’m in but given Nintendo announced a switch price cut since it seems unlikely. 

At the minute, my Switch has slightly more dust on it than the PS5. I don't see the point in getting another just for a new screen, for a mode I don't use anymore now I have a TV. My Switch is fine as is. I'll wait for the next Nintendo machine, instead. 

europe might be getting the slowed down versions of n64 games with borders. I'm guessing Nintendo can't be bothered to update them cause of all the different languages 

This isn't a minor thing btw, I remember first becoming aware of it with dmc1. If you let the game idle at the start screen it would play a demo reel and as a 12 year old I couldn't figure out why the demo video was soooo much faster. Until I saw the 60hz option in Onimusha 2 and played a way faster and better game

edit Ocarina of Time PAL ran at 17fps? Damn, fuck, how could you play that game lol. And on a 60hz screen wouldn't that be really flickery

I remember going out of my way to get a 60hz compatible TV back when the PS2 released (came in handy for Gamecube too)... it was a weird time for electronics, the TV I owned played 60hz Dreamcast games fine but it didn't want to know with the PS2.

27 minutes ago, Nag said:

I remember going out of my way to get a 60hz compatible TV back when the PS2 released (came in handy for Gamecube too)... it was a weird time for electronics, the TV I owned played 60hz Dreamcast games fine but it didn't want to know with the PS2.

From what I remember the PS2's 60Hz mode was basically just the NTSC signal, so 480p, whereas Dreamcast and Gamecube used a specific PAL60 mode (standard 576i resolution but still 60Hz). There were some TVs which supported one but not the other and it was really hard to find out which one did what.

But yes, weird times indeed. It was a big deal when Nintendo put the 60Hz version of F-Zero on the Virtual console of the WiiU because it finally allowed people from Europe to compare highscores wit the rest of the world.

Fresh 4K Switch rumours, but Nintendo are denying it

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-30-nintendo-issues-denial-on-new-4k-nintendo-switch-report

Apparently 11 companies have what sounds like dev kits. This is the thing that puts me most off an OLED Switch.  It sounds almost guaranteed that this thing exists and I’d rather have a Switch that looks good on my TV than a Switch with an OLED screen that I would have to go out of my way to use in portable mode 

Well I suppose we had some rumour downtime for three months, it was good while it lasted.

It'd be a rather pointless upgrade in any case. There are 90 million normal Switch systems out there that developers need to optimise for, the Switch 2 is probably not further away than two years at this point and you won't be able to get the system anyway because scalpers are going to hoard them like crazy.