passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

Fwiw I don't think the first couple of posts from you and Nag were that bad. Attractive is attractive. It doesn't need to be (and it isn't) a regular occurrence, and the language took a turn. We've never been that type of forum and as much as things have changed recently I don't want them to change in to that 

13 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

Anyone for Switch Tax ?

Screenshot_20191002-221420.png

It's not really a fair comparison when the game is new to Switch. The PS4 and X1 games didn't launch at £16, the Switch game will drop in price later, if they launched it at a lower price they'd just be losing out on sales they will make at the higher price.

8 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

Oh no, screw those that spent that time porting it.  They can starve. 

Not convinced with that argument - converting code can't be as expensive as developing a new game from scratch - likewise advertising for the NS version needs nowhere near the same budget either - so yes, charge a reasonable price for it, just not £45 !

I don't think any of us can really measure the scope of 'converting' code, it's not like translating a language (not that localisation is easy either).

You're taking what was maybe the most demanding game on PC from 2015 (still up there as far as I know) and scaling it down to something which can just fit inside the specs of a Switch. I bet that's a tough engineering challenge.

Although at the same time I bet it was cheap to budget, but only cause CDPR pay peanuts

Like off the top of my head, I want to know what Novigrad is like on Switch. On PC that causes problems even for highly overclocked quad core processors. When we gallop through on our horse and all the NPCs and different NPC events and world geometry are being rendered in really quickly, will it still be playable on Switch?  Or will it stutter and halt? Will everything be shrouded in fog? That's going to be really interesting to see (have we seen that stuff yet?)

Fuck it, it kind of makes me want to buy it just to see how they got it to work.

I'm definitely going to buy it just to see how it works. I played it at Gamescom in handheld mode which was neat (all things considered) and I just want to know how it "feels" on the big screen with the small machine and how much the downgrade affects my enjoyment.

Probably not going to play through though, didn't even finish it the first time around on Xbox.

I mean I think the true answer is the price point is found somewhere in the middle of those two things. 

For the record I think it’s fine for them to charge full price for Witcher 3 on Switch, it is a behemoth of a game, and as far as the Switch is concerned, it’s a brand new game. 

It’s only funny when thinking about the quality of this version compared to the other versions then the price becomes the joke. But as far as the Switch is concerned this is probably a magic trick and taxes the hardware to the max. It is in essence a super high end Switch game, so it gets super high end price. Even if super high end Switch game does not mean super high end game in the wider scope of what that can be. 

14 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

So the price point isn't actually based on how much it costs to convert it, just how much profit they can maximise from it !?!?

Well yes, sort of goes without saying. The publisher's intention is obviously to maximise profit and they will weigh up less launch period sales at a higher price against the higher profit per sale, and try to pitch it at the maximum, also considering that as the price drops in the future people will jump aboard. The decline in physical sales makes it easier to launch a game at a high price and rely on people who won't pay that much biting later in a price drop as pre-owned sales are now less of a factor.