passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

26 minutes ago, OCH said:

The Smash reveals were confusing. What is Terry or especially Sans, to Nintendo? I thought the third party characters represent their Devs history with (or against ala SEGA) Nintendo?

In the Direct Sakurai expressed interest in bringing in all kinds of characters and worlds from gaming.  Ever since Cloud the link to Nintendo just isn't relevant to the series anymore and it's a celebration of gaming as a whole, or at least of a certain type, irrespective of where and when it comes from. 

SNES games, finally! Excellent selection out the gate too. 

Never played the original Deadly Premonition but always been curious, so interested  in the 2nd one. May even buy the first if the huge Switch tax gets removed in a sale. 

Even though I don’t care about Smash, I’ve got to say the Terry reveal trailer was excellent. I loved it. 

16 hours ago, HandsomeDead said:

In the Direct Sakurai expressed interest in bringing in all kinds of characters and worlds from gaming.  Ever since Cloud the link to Nintendo just isn't relevant to the series anymore and it's a celebration of gaming as a whole, or at least of a certain type, irrespective of where and when it comes from. 

Yet Bomberman and Golden Sun have got the shaft...

Cloud is representative of Final Fantasy, which had very strong links to Nintendo. Sure they could have had Onion Knight, Terra, Cecil, Kain etc from FF1-6, but the layman wouldn't have a clue who they are, given the one and done nature of the series prior. Cloud is an iconic "face" for FF. In essence, Joker was probably the first of the "fuck it, just put 'em in anyway" characters. It is wrong though, to add unrelated characters, when so many Nintendo classics are omitted or relegated to "assist" status. Alas, Sakurai is basically saying throw in these new ones For Da kidz...

Like how the modern MK games waste guest fighter places with pointless horror characters, meanwhile ignoring the actual MK cast. But that is more down to WB telling NRS what to do.

35 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

Sure, Dragon Quest and Fatal Fury are super popular with da kidz.  My niece doesn't shut up about them.

Dragon Quest XI is on the Switch, so Hero at least still falls under the "series related to Nintendo" banner. ?

The only reason I can see the SNK characters are in.. anything, has to be because of the rise in popularity of esports, like EVO. Growing up in the 90's, the Neo Geo and its games were never part of any conversation I ever heard. Plus arcade gaming isn't really a thing here either, nor when I was younger. The first I heard of any of them was in articles I read related to Marvel vs. Capcom.

I think you're going by personal experience @OCH which isn't anything near all of global gaming history.

SNK has an interesting history in the 90s with Capcom, which which mostly took place in the arcades but also on the SNES.  Much of the people that made Art of Fighting (which was a precursor to Fatal Fury which share cast members) worked on Street Fighter 2 and there was plagerism lawsuits by Capcom which were thrown out, but later devs of SF games made Dan who was a parady of Ryo from Art of Fighting as a jab at them.  Things settled later since they've collaborated since but there is some history there that the people who like the history side of Smash would appreciate.  Not that I think it's likely any of that will be slightly referenced, but still. 

And on top of that if you were in South America and some other parts of the world in the 90s Fatal Fury cabinets and other SNK games were far more prevalent than Capcom ones due to thier boards being much cheaper.  During that time Terry Bogart was more recognisable than Ryu. 

I hope all the characters are guest ones to see them in this game that is just "what if" wish fulfillment pull from all kinds of games beyond Nintendo, as they're pretty much covered.  Except Waluigi.  One space needs to be his.