passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

Yea, guess you’re right. Which is one of the reasons I love the fact Game Pass, lets me download games not just stream. I guess it just depends on how noticeable it actually ends up being when/if this happens to whether I use it for anything apart from a story based game. 

I just don't see how this benefits Microsoft much. Are they really banking on hordes of Switch owners to buy a Game Pass subscription to make up for the shortfall in console sales? I just can't see it. By making Xbox a 'platform' they give less and less reasons to own an Xbox console, do they not want to sell their own consoles anymore going forward?

Incredibly odd to me that Xbox's USP right now is Game Pass alone and that will possibly soon be coming to Switch. Weird.

I don't disagree with you @Blakey but I suppose if they see this next generation of consoles as the last before we're all streaming or there's some other sea change I guess this lets them get in early. This generation has been a bit of a right off for them in terms of the Xbox itself, but they've done the technical leg work with "the cloud" and have sold people on Game Pass, so they've possibly started the groundwork for what happens in 6 or 7 years time. They need people to care about their games and their platform again, it was already a bit tired at the start of the generation, and with the way the xbox has gone for them a lot of people haven't even glanced at their lineup

Personally I'm not convinced it's a great plan, but I guess they need to do something to differentiate themselves from Sony and Nintendo or they need to stand toe to toe and beat them that way

I don't think consoles alone have ever been a big money maker, it has always been about software, so it doesn't seem that much of a stretch that MS may want to become more of a service provider.  They could use other platforms as a place to get a taste of MS games, but it you want to play it natively they can have a box for that.

I guess its not a case of getting "hordes" of Gamepass subscriptions on Switch, but with that along with their own console and what they do on PC I just think they're getting their games in as many places as they can and getting their brand out there.  It seems fairly savvy to me.

2 minutes ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

I don’t think this is going to be what everyone is talking about here. It’s more likely to be scaled down mobile versions.  

That’d take too much work to get those games running then though. I don’t see them doing it. 

I thought that the whole idea of the streaming model (OnLive, PSNow) meant that there wasn't really any need to convert anything to a format anymore, and all the console/PC did was act as a controller interface, since all the processing was done on the servers.

Hence there'd be no barrier to bringing XBox One titles straight to the NS so long as the connection speed was sufficient. 

33 minutes ago, Nag said:

I think the Gamepass thing may be muddying the waters a little bit because as of this time that's not how Gamepass works...

Well this is a car crash of MS and N so it'll probably take the worst case route - a streaming service, needing NS Online plus a higher price for a Gamepass style service but with much limited game library.

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

That’d take too much work to get those games running then though. I don’t see them doing it. 

I meant more mobile versions. Not scaled down existing fh4 etc. Like they announced iOS Android and switch but everyone is only talking about switch because it’s a console. Whatever they do for limited phones they’ll also be on switch. It already has tons of mobile games. 

I think they’re going to try their hand at streaming games using this service. MS have been talking about it for a while and Phil Harrison was talking big about streaming games at E3, especially with the giant bomb lot if I remember rightly.

Which I’m sure I do because I was worried that they don’t realise one of the best thing about Gamepass is I can download the game to my console so I don’t have input/latency issues you get with streaming. But all he talked about was the streaming side. It was one of the things that made me love Game Pass while really disliking Playstation Now. That and the quality of games was generally and far more recent games are offered on it. + all first party now. 

People are pulling the ports because rumours are centered around Ori and Cuphead being ported. They're both published by Microsoft: and we're just speculating further. 

I've not talked about streaming because I'm not interested. But I don't deny it could be a factor in this partnership. 

I just wanna play Halo 3 again without buying a new console. 

Here we go. Expectations are very high with this one. Don’t let me down Nintendo. 

Despite Pokemon 7 having quite a disappointingly short life span due to lacklustre multi-player, single player wise it is probably top 3 Pokemon games of all time. 

If they take take what they learned from there, give up incredible new Pokemon to use, put it on Switch so it looks glorious, and throw in more multi-player battle features.

Pass me my map, running trainers and Pokeballs, mum. Time for a brand new adventure.