passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

53 minutes ago, Middle_Class_Hero said:

Really pleased I got a Switch for my 40th now (only really asked for it due to lack of other ideas) as they've got some good stuff coming up.

Also pleased they're going to keep supporting the 3DS as my little boy has just broke his, and I didn't want to have to replace it for absolutely no reason.

PS - I've never really understood the malice poured on FFVIII, I think it's bloody great!

I guess VII was a tough gig to follow. I think group amnesia as a plot device is quite weak as well and the battle mechanics where too big a shift away from VII. It certainly looked amazing for the time. Triple Triad is still the best FF mini game IMO.

It's really interesting that story behind FFVIII, if an absolute shame.  I think I'm gonna have to re-download the version on Vita for the sake of preservation.

I've been holding back buying these FF remasters for a while, just waiting for the right time I have the money and proper inclination to sync up but Switch versions a little more convincing.  And part of me that thinks its nice to see the post FFVI mainline games on a Nintendo console again.

I'm actually pretty interested in Cities Skyline as well to be honest.  I hope it has some touch controls as well because that seems like a no-brainer.  I  also checked the size thinking it would be a massive download but its only 2GB.  I thought simulation games would be intensive.

I liked this Direct.  Not the biggest showing from Nintendo but I think they're really getting the right kind of third party support.  I know there are a bunch of ports but a few are games I've not played so I'm pretty happy with it.

20 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

I guess VII was a tough gig to follow. I think group amnesia as a plot device is quite weak as well and the battle mechanics where too big a shift away from VII. It certainly looked amazing for the time. Triple Triad is still the best FF mini game IMO.

Yeah, I certainly prefer VII, but I like VIII a hell of a lot. I actually prefer it to IX I think (although, I appreciate I’m in a huge minority there).

I know the relative enemy levelling up and stats tied to spells pissed people off, but I can’t ever remember being bothered by that personally.

Story was definitely ropey in parts (it is a FF game after all), but I maintain that I felt much more invested in Squall and Rinoa’s relationship than I do most other gaming couples.

Has been a while since I’ve played it though, I’m a little more cynical these days so might not get on with it as well if i revisited ?

7 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

I'm actually pretty interested in Cities Skyline as well to be honest.  I hope it has some touch controls as well because that seems like a no-brainer.  I  also checked the size thinking it would be a massive download but its only 2GB.  I thought simulation games would be intensive.

Cities might be better played elsewhere. It can get a fair bit of a chug on when things go outside the very basics of the game. Completely absorbing game though, I like to play it while marathoning Netflix stuff.

24 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

News to me. Wonder if Sony and Microsoft do the same? 

This online thing really is a bag of (quite cheap) shit. 

Maybe after a while but I didn’t have ps+/a ps4 for months and re-downloaded saves to my brothers console.

9 minutes ago, Nag said:

Having to log onto the internet once every 7 days to play NES games eh? I would've thought the internet would've been in uproar over that by now.?

Guess you haven't been on the Switch Reddit page. They're pretty bent out of shape about the whole thing. 

it's absolutely shit and they're handling it really badly. It's hard to get too angry at them specifically when they're only copying Sony who copied Microsoft. Paying for online is a money grab, it's something that should be covered by the cost of the console and the digital stores. Steam, Origin, Uplay etc all manage to work well without charging a fee, both Nintendo and Sony did for years, even the Dreamcast managed it

The only thing Nintendo have done different is not make a convincing argument it's worth the cost at all, and come late enough to it their service looks especially bad in comparison

The online service stuff is disappointing, especially tying cloud saves to it but Microsoft have pulled the paid online card since 2004 and Sony since 2013 when PS+ became mandatory to play online so as @DANGERMAN said they're only copying what they think are successful services really.

Microsoft tried pulling the constantly online DRM shite at the start of this gen and people have seemed to forget about that (still highly recommend the YT interview between Angry Joe and Major Nelson where the latter repeatedly says it isn't as easy as flipping a switch to turn the DRM off - what a cunt). Nintendo are trying this at the moment and there does seem to be some backlash - which is good - but I'm sure it'll go the same way as all the other online services and people will just swallow the somewhat small cost and inconvenience for the sake of playing games with their mates.

7 hours ago, Hendo said:

To be fair, no-one cares about the NES games in the first place.

I do ☹️

I’m more concerned the nes classics won’t have match making and it’ll be friends only and even then you’ll both have to rub your bellies and pat your heads at the same time for it to work.

I don’t think you can compare pc only stores steam, uplay and origin not charging a fee to console companies doing so. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Information about the family sharing. Spoilered because it's long. 

Reveal hidden contents

Think I'm possibly out? Not sure I want to let someone else control my estore access.

I think that’s a good warning for folks to not do a family group with randoms from the net and stuff but as long as you know and trust the admin it doesn’t seem to be an issue? I can make you all parent/guardians in the family group?