passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

Could just be the simple fact that the markets don't have faith in the new console, Nintendo it appears and I could be wrong but they are putting all there eggs in one basket for the first time in many years. Is this the end of the 3ds? Nintendo haven't told us there stance on gaming, normally we get the 3 pillars, home console, portable and internet. The 3ds and all Nintendo's handhelds have been the cornerstone of the company and kept it afloat when the home consoles "failed" and now Nintendo just have the one? Or will we see a 3ds 2? who knows.

On the Switch my last thoughts are build quality it really needs to be top quality, the wii u and wii have aged pretty badly, in fact my cube looks better under the tele these days looing forward to more reviews and proper hands on before the launch, but ether way I'm getting one!

@DifferentClass Yeah it's a minor concern about the power. This thing looks streets ahead of what Nintendo have released before in terms of power in a handheld as essentially it's a portable home console rather than a handheld that plays on your TV. To me anyway. And as such will be a power drain. Like you said Nintendo aren't daft and it'd be a major surprise if they messed something as important as that up.

The price bothers me more. More than £250 I think it'll struggle more than it should. I'm just thinking if the mass market potential. Diehards will buy it. Typical gamers like us may be tempted by the exclusives. Its main hook is being portable. But it doesn't seem very rugged like handhelds usually are. I don't see it as something I'd be carrying about that often, nor do I see it something kids will. Which is why I'm not so sure this is to replace the DS or any future handheld. Just making the home console more flexible socially. Which is Something Nintendo are big on.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I'd expect a more typical handheld that functions as a second controller aswell. Perhaps even lets you plug in your main game cartridge and play smaller games off it that affect your main game somehow.

Perhaps I'm stretching here. As much as I like it, I can still see the usual gang of obstructions lining up to stifle it.

There's a very small thing that I really like the idea of, the little stand on the back (it's the new GC handle!). When I'm cooking I kind of default to setting up either my tablet or my phone, both of which have stands. 

Granted a games machine you're going to interact with is less viable while you're cooking, but I can definitely see it getting use 

12 hours ago, retroed said:

I don't understand how Nintendo's shares have dropped by 5% after today. 

Screenshot_20161021-014555.jpg

Investors don't tend to be console fanboys (they're more fans of money), so perhaps the fact there wasn't really anything in it people didn't already know about is a factor.

The price went up a bit the day before the announcement, so it might have been just levelling out again.

People have pointed out that stock markets are about speculation. People buy in advance of an announcement/based on rumour, then sell after the news is out. 

Anyway, it looked like everything the rumours & leaks said it was, so the only new information was the name. Looked ok though. 

4 hours ago, ThreeFour said:

@DifferentClass 

The price bothers me more. More than £250 I think it'll struggle more than it should. I'm just thinking if the mass market potential. Diehards will buy it. Typical gamers like us may be tempted by the exclusives. Its main hook is being portable. But it doesn't seem very rugged like handhelds usually are. I don't see it as something I'd be carrying about that often, nor do I see it something kids will. Which is why I'm not so sure this is to replace the DS or any future handheld. Just making the home console more flexible socially. Which is Something Nintendo are big on.

I think it'll cost more than that.  This is something allegedly approaching PS4, closer than the Wii U was, in a small shell.  If this thing is under £300 - £350 I'll be surprised.

Early adopters aren't gonna be families.  The target audience is in that teaser video for the Switch since I think they know they don't have the relevance they used to with the young, but I'm gonna throw out another prediction where they will make a cheaper 2DS style iteration aimed at families and the young further down the line after they've got what they can with the initial iteration.

@DifferentClassYou see I agree I think it will be more than that. Which I view as an issue. I'm not convinced it'll have the full grunt of the PS4 (admittedly I've not seen the specs). So again it's lagging behind. 

I don't think there is a target audience. Not a convenient one painted in that promo. I certainly don't think it has that 'hook' the Wii had. Already some have proclaimed it's just a tablet with breakable awkward controllers.

I'm not meaning to beat this down. I like it. I need to see more. As more becomes available it'll paint a better picture of the success I think it will have. I'm getting one anyway. Unless it's over £300 :P

Someone say cunt quick before we look like a forum that has proper opinions and knowldge about videyu gamz.

I feel genuinely excited about this console. I like the name, I like what Nintendo are trying to do and i'm in. Take my monies.

I think build quality is going to be very important here, if this is high quality then its going to be great to take around and multi play with. It could be the return of same room multiplayer, its essentially a beefed up 3ds, which thinking about it I never carry around or play on anymore.... 

Anyway im very excited about it, just hope it gets lasting third party support, I feel like there's a very big potential that if that doesn't happen, and the console tanks, then ninty might pack it in for consoles. 

6 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Every time I see this mentioned or read this thread, the Will Smith song Switch plays in my head. I assume this will carry on for the entire time the Switch is a thing. 

Glad I'm not the only one this happens to. It's always the 'Hey-ey-ey' at the start of the chorus it kicks off with too.

6 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

You two have both outed yourselves as Will Smith fans 

Hey-ey-ey (Hey-ey-ey) 

it was the last good Will Smith song. It's no Miami or Gettin Jiggy Wit It (or any of the songs from Willenium for that matter) but still a solid Smith production.