passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

I think support will be stronger than the last two gens.  Power might still be an issue (though it looks like its running a version of Skyreem) but there is nothing that goofy going on with it, I think games built for PS4/XO will translate well.

It depends what kind of success it gets.  If it just gets Nintendo console success than maybe third parties won't be on it much, but if it gets Nintendo handheld success then third parties would be unwise to ignore it.

Maybe, I don't know really, can see it getting good 3rd party support at launch, and as you say DC they aren't doing anything too mental with it this time around so it'll be easier to port XB1/PS4 versions of games for the system but I guess it all depends on who supports it, Ninty's console crowd or Ninty's Handheld crowd, I guess they're hoping it's going to be both and they'll have another hit on their hands.

It's definitely a shrewd move after the Wii U and a step in the right direction that's for sure.

Fucking awesome concept. If it gets the support from third parties I can genuinely see myself not playing my XO/PS4 in favour of this.

Full sized FIFA on the train, proper Zelda on the bog in work (ok, I might get sacked for this one), just taking the screen to a mate's house to show it off! IF it works as well as the reveal showed it to, and IF they get the support of third parties then I'm all kinds of sold. Just need to start playing my Wii U more so I can justify this one...

Confirmed Nvidia is handling Switch's GPU:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

The first thing to know about the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system: it’s really fun to play. With great graphics, loads of game titles and incredible performance, the Nintendo Switch will provide people with many hours of engaging and interactive gaming entertainment.

But creating a device so fun required some serious engineering. The development encompassed 500 man-years of effort across every facet of creating a new gaming platform: algorithms, computer architecture, system design, system software, APIs, game engines and peripherals. They all had to be rethought and redesigned for Nintendo to deliver the best experience for gamers, whether they’re in the living room or on the move.

A Console Architecture for the Living Room and Beyond

Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

The Nintendo Switch’s gaming experience is also supported by fully custom software, including a revamped physics engine, new libraries, advanced game tools and libraries. NVIDIA additionally created new gaming APIs to fully harness this performance. The newest API, NVN, was built specifically to bring lightweight, fast gaming to the masses.

Gameplay is further enhanced by hardware-accelerated video playback and custom software for audio effects and rendering.

We’ve optimized the full suite of hardware and software for gaming and mobile use cases. This includes custom operating system integration with the GPU to increase both performance and efficiency.

NVIDIA gaming technology is integrated into all aspects of the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system, which promises to deliver a great experience to gamers.

The Nintendo Switch will be available in March 2017.

More information is available athttps://www.nintendo.com/switch.

Nintendo Switch is a trademark of Nintendo.

Nintendo announced today a long list of developers, studios and publishers that would offer support for the company's new hybrid console, the Nintendo Switch.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13345516/nintendo-switch-activision-ea-bethesda

Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Warner Bros. Interactive, Sega, Epic, Capcom and Bethesda are some of the bigger names on the list. Other studios, like Telltale and Starbreeze are also on the list. For developers that use Unity software to create their titles, the company is also listed as a supporting partner for Switch. A full list of studios and developers supporting Nintendo Switch can be seen below.

505 Games
Activision Publishing, Inc.
ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
ATLUS CO., LTD.
Audiokinetic Inc.
Autodesk, Inc.
BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
Bethesda
CAPCOM CO., LTD.
Codemasters®
CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
DeNA Co., Ltd.
Electronic Arts
Epic Games Inc.
Firelight Technologies
FromSoftware, Inc.
Frozenbyte
GameTrust
GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.
Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
HAMSTER Corporation
Havok
INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
LEVEL-5 Inc.
Marvelous Inc.
Maximum Games, LLC
Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
Parity Bit Inc.
PlatinumGames Inc.
RAD Game Tools, Inc.
RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
Silicon Studio Corporation
Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
Starbreeze Studios
Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
Telltale Games
THQ Nordic
Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
TT Games
UBISOFT
Ubitus Inc.
Unity Technologies, Inc.
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Web Technology Corp

Nintendo announced the new system with a three-minute reveal trailer today. When used at home, the console can be plugged into a television set to be played, but when lifted from the dock, it becomes a portable console. Nintendo also revealed new Joy Con controllers that can be used for portable play that allows for multiplayer gameplay.

Nintendo did not reveal how much the Switch would cost and there's no specific release date at this time. More information is expected to be released before its March 2017 release.

That's an impressive list, getting EA back on board is a real achievement.

It's basically everything the WiiU should have been, which kind of just drills home what an ill thought out, underpowered, expensive mess the WiiU was. 

I don't mind having separate handheld and consoles, but I think everyone's wanted a mix at some point, and the likes of cross connectivity, cross play and cross save are all flawed in big ways 

Anyway, assuming Nintendo don't fuck it up in some spectacular way I'm in

It does feel like they're doing a lot of things right so if Nintendo can't get on the big boy table with this then they never will.

I do think the most exciting thing about this, to me, is having Nintendo focus making their games for one system instead of spreading themselves over a home system and a handheld one.  Say that even if the worst case scenario happens with third parties (My gut says it won't be a Wii U) they will be more equipped than ever to keep shelves filled with their own and close affiliates' games.

Just seen the trailer for this on a bike forum of all places, but this looks like everything I want in a console, being able to play full games on a handheld while having a base unit for the tele. That mini screen is going to need some protection can see it being switch dropped! Wonder what the pricing will be, and I was intending on upgrading one of my current consoles tomorrow to ether a ps4 pro or xbox one s as I have a hefty discount at work, seeing this means I will keep the money in the bank for the new switch.

I liked it :)

I think it has more success in it than I thought the WiiU had. Brand distinction is a plus for a start.

Concerns? 
1) I'm going off little information here (but the size suggests it isn't on par), Power. It isn't everything but I do think it strains a developers resources having to downgrade some if its biggest titles. We've seen this story before, they'll pledge support but if the sales don't meet expectations, the support dries up. So third party support is inherently tied to this.

2) Price. If it's a mobile gaming device I'd be reluctant if it's expensive. I don't really do mobile gaming anyway. I expect it'd be more popular with the kids but I'm damned if I let them roam about with what is essentially my home Nintendo console. I could buy them their own. But again, price.

3) Battery life. Pretty obvious. Makes or breaks a mobile console.

On the whole I'm excited for it. It's a break from the norm. It's a more flexible handheld or home console we've had before. I personally don't really want to play games like Destiny or GTA on the move. They're 'couch' games. But even still, it appeals to me. I think I'll pick up the obvious niche titles this will have.

I think I'd be surprised if the battery was badly thought out.  Historically, Nintendo have always been mindful of that and it's only the Wii U that didn't have a good battery, though I suspect they went the cheap route with that because it was a home system and will always be near a power source. 

They are really pushing this as something to take out with you so I think they'll have a decent battery.  Or at least make it compatible with any phone charger. 

But because of this things power, small size and Nintendo's insistence to profit off hardware I am expecting this to not be cheap.  I mean look at that teaser; not a family in sight, just a bunch of millenials.  It'll be premium priced. 

The Nintendo Switch Dock provides TV output, charges, and powers the system.

BY CHLOI RAD The Nintendo Switch home gaming system will "absolutely" support amiibo for compatible Nintendo Switch games, Nintendo has confirmed to IGN.

"If a Nintendo Switch game supports amiibo then the Nintendo Switch home gaming system will as well," a Nintendo representative told IGN.

Nintendo also clarified a couple more features of its newly unveiled Nintendo Switch console, including the function of the Nintendo Switch Dock seen in its announcement trailer, which you can watch below.

"The Nintendo Switch Dock has been created so that it is extremely easy to seamlessly switch from playing games on a TV to transition into a portable mode," a Nintendo representative told IGN.“

The Joy-Con controllers will be included alongside the Switch.

Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

According to Nintendo, the Joy-Con controllers — named Joy-Con L and Joy-Con R — will be included alongside the Nintendo Switch system.

Click the arrow to the right to see images of the games and hardware shown off for Nintendo's Switch announcement.

When asked if the Nintendo Switch will have touchscreen support, Nintendo declined to comment.

"We will make additional announcements about the Nintendo Switch hardware later, before the launch of the product," Nintendo told IGN.