passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

MAME

Whiskey_chaser

I'm thinking about starting a mini project with the kids, and that's building a small PC to use as a mame unit to plug in the tv. Nothing fancy just a box with a couple of arcade joysticks plugged in.

Anyone have any old pc parts they're looking to offload? Any tips?

I just came across this which sounds too good to be true.

https://retrogamingbox.com/

My mate’s just bought a Megadrive all-in-one box which is very disappointing. No HDMI to TV, loads of games I was expecting that aren’t there like Streets of Rage and the whole thing feels very cheap.

Pretty sure a Pi or the above thing would be a better solution.

Was it the ATGames console? Not known for quality.

Definitely do your own PI or perhaps buy this. I got all the stuff for my retro PI for around £50. Just a bit of time required to do the set up but it's not hard. I didn't add 32bit stuff as that required more effort which I couldn't be arsed with.

Trying to find the format I followed to relay what was said. I'm sure it was a Eurogamer article but I may be wrong.

Anyway I think it was two fold in that the emulators, N64 emulators especially, were problematic but also to get the best performance you had to over lock your PI. That also involved a cooling solution.

All of that just put me off. If you're more comfortable with it go for it tho ??

Well I got the Pi set up with the latest build of RetroPie on it last night and configured it to work with an 8bitdo bluetooth controller. So far so good - now tinkering with MAME games though yet to try any. Did manage to get a couple of NeoGeo games running, although it seemed 50/50 if they ran ok or not. Digging about it seems MAME/Neo Geo are a bit more of a ball ache to get running.

What version of Pi are you running @ThreeFour? I've got a 3B. Might give N64 a try and see how they run.

I'm still awaiting delivery of the white and red version of the official one @Hendo has posted above as a temporary measure until the joystick cabinet arrives. I was just being impatient and wanted to get stuck in. I'm currently 70% through a 102gig Mame download. Glad i'm not tackling that on dial-up :wacko: