passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Detective Pikachu

DANGERMAN

I'm not a million miles from the end of this and I still don't know what I think of it. It's certainly not bad but it feels very underdeveloped, not buggy, more that it hasn't quite got going yet 

Detective Pikachu is fairly cut scene heavy, but in between you'll be talking to people to set up the case and eventually get clues. You'll also be poking around the environment for evidence and possibly items you can use. So it's kind of more Touch Detective and Hotel Dusk than Phoenix Wright. 

Eventually you'll get to a point where you'll need to piece something together to advance, be that literally or metaphorically, so Pikachu will interrupt and you'll have to solve something on the bottom screen. I can't say any of these have been especially hard but there have been a couple of times where its either not clear what you're being asked or the steps involved are a bit convoluted. There's no punishment for repeated attempts though so it's not anything game breaking. 

There's the occasional QTE, again nothing too taxing and the one I failed didn't seem to cost me anything. 

Which is kind of the issue, there's not a lot too it. It's not difficult enough to get your brain going, it's got a bit of humour but it's not funny like Touch Detective, nor is the solid enough story gripping or gritty enough to be interesting. 

It's fine though, chapters don't last overly long, there's always something new, and the characters, particularly Pikachu, are likable enough 

I had been thinking I was fairly close to the end of this, but it's a longer game than I was expecting. There was a chapter that kind of wasn't about the main plot at all, then switched and had a huge amount of key stuff happen. It added a bit of pace after I'd started to worry the game was dragging its feet.

The problem is it kind of has dropped the pace afterwards, or maybe I've just played too much at once. I'm not exactly bored of the game but having to trudge around an area speaking to people to set up the puzzle, then trudging back around to get the clues, then solving it just to open up the next question, the formula is wearing a bit thin. Still though, it's a decent game, the story has picked up, it's still Pokemon so it's not a Nordi crime drama or anything but it's not quite the inoffensive non-event I thought it might be