Jimbo Xiii

Marvel Cinematic Universe

'What if?' needs context though. The entire Turn Left premise necessitates the audience already being familiar with what was established on the Right Path...

Well it’s animated so primarily aimed at kids, which at this point Marvel movies have been around longer than 10 year olds, so, think it goes hand in hand that people watching it either grew up with or very deeply invested in it and both those groups will know the movies inside and out

Frankly if it’s not canon I don’t care. I’ve never cared about the What If’s or the Elseworld stuff

2 hours ago, Maf said:

Well it’s animated so primarily aimed at kids, which at this point Marvel movies have been around longer than 10 year olds, so, think it goes hand in hand that people watching it either grew up with or very deeply invested in it and both those groups will know the movies inside and out

Frankly if it’s not canon I don’t care. I’ve never cared about the What If’s or the Elseworld stuff

But what will it be based on? The Movies. If so there isn't that much to explore alternatively. The newest cartoons? Would require prior knowledge they can't assume every kid has. It definitely wouldn't be based on the comics of the same name, as some of them got far too weird for kids.

what-if-wolv74e464a70.JPG

33613-4249-37531-1-what-if-.jpg 35383-4249-39514-1-what-if-.jpg

620839.jpg  wi3.jpg

95078701518.88.jpg whatif1977series14.jpg

Spoilered most of those images, @OCH - loads of images, especially large ones can really chug the forum a bit. We try and stick to 3 visible images, any more hidden behind a spoiler tag.

Thought Captain Marvel was excellent, way better than Ant-Man 2 and Black Panther that’s for sure.

Spoiler

I loved that the plot completely turned on its head and who you thought the bad guys were ended up being the good guys, and the good guys the bad guys.

I just thought it was such a nice switch from the usual comic book fayre and not something I’ve seen a lot, really refreshing. I imagine if you’d read the comics you’d of known the Kree were bad but as someone who has no knowledge of the comics at all it was a really nice surprise.

Setting it in the 90s gave the film so much character too, it just added a Terminator-like authenticity and weight to it that grounded the film somewhat. The car chase scenes and others throughout the LA metro were magnificent and a nice throwback to the 90s buddy cop films, the music was mostly from the period as well which was awesome - I particularly loved the bit of Nirvana.

It just has the Marvel special sauce to it. I love an origin story and this was just so well done, it feels as if you’re seeing Danvers’ memories at the same time she is discovering them and it gives the viewer and Danvers a magical thought equilibrium where you’re both coming to the same revelations at the same time. 

The scene one where she gets the properly coloured suit gave me full on goosebumps. The post-credits scene was possibly the most hyped I’ve ever been by one, it was just phenomenal how this film explains Danvers’ absence perfectly, the pager perfectly (which adds into the IW post credits scene where you see Fury’s pager with the CM logo) and then she’s just there with the remaining Avengers like ‘Where’s Fury?’ I was like HOLY FUCK ENDGAME LET’S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

It was way more Sci-Fi than I was expecting too, the Skrull actually reminded me of Star Trek quite a bit as did a lot of the space scenes. 

The cat was really cool too and added some much needed brevity to scenes, I have no idea why or how she was a man-eating alien octopus thing though? 😂

It did lose a bit in the 3rd act but that all comes full circle once she goes Super Saiyan on everyone’s arses.

It’s hard to think where it ranks amongst the overall MCU pantheon but I’d probably put it in my top 10 or just outside. 

Thought Larson, Menselsolm and Jackson were incredible throughout. 

It was quite funny how this film captured the exact Sci-fi vibe that, for the most part, Green Lantern should have had, and completely missed the mark. Personally I thought the suit colouring bit was dumb and a bit forced. How would that kid have had any idea what she was doing?

Also the kid herself was a bit of an on the nose reference. Given how many times her name was highlighted. It was like "LOOK EVERYONE WHO READS COMICS IT'S..."

Spoiler

MONICA RAMBEAU! ISN'T THAT A COOL REFERENCE?!? AREN'T WE CLEVER?? ... No, you're not. You pandering tossers. 🙄

image.webp

@Hendo Noted. Thank's for letting me know!

Official Avengers: Endgame poster is out. I love it. The marketing for Endgame has been fantastic so far, they're really not giving anything away. 

Sure, we know characters are coming back and getting sequels etc, but your average cinema goer who isn't interested in the behind the scenes stuff doesn't have a clue, so this is great. 

image.png

Brie Larson looks amazing in that poster. Not sure if the current buzz or she’s just hot or even she has the most colourful costume but she looks great

Lol but why is Thor the only one looking the other way? They’re like “I see incoming trouble” and Thor is like “Look at those hotdogs”

The trailer isn’t bad but it still doesn’t really show anything. I understand it’s a big secret and stuff but you got to show something exciting. What is the deal around them costumes? You know, apart from selling new toys 

51 minutes ago, Maf said:

What is the deal around them costumes? You know, apart from selling new toys 

Selling toys. It's all about selling toys.

I bet this trailer is the thing that pushes Captain Marvel past a billion, despite the fact she is barely in it. 

3 hours ago, Maf said:

What is the deal around them costumes? You know, apart from selling new toys 

Rumours are pointing toward Quantum Realm suits.

It's a good trailer, enough new stuff but still no idea how it'll all pan out. I assume there is a fairly significant time jump at the start judging by the things they say about moving on. New suits are cool and very quantum.

Apparently Marvel has hired a guy to do a Asian led movie, people suspecting Shang-chi.

I don’t know anything about this character except he trained both Spider-Man and Domino how to do martial arts and he’s called the Master of Kung-Fu

I’m not a martial arts film fanatic by any means but I do love the action in those movies. Put it in a superhero story? I’m down for that 

I never thought too much about it in the comics but I think in the movies the Cap Marvel costume might be the best

D1mpve_XcAAaX6s?format=jpg&name=900x900

Toe to toe with the original Iron Man armour and Cap America’s costume in Age of Ultron 

Why do characters have to go away or die in Endgame can’t we just have everyone in another big movie? 😕

All I know of Shang-Chi was he was big in the 70's (naturally) a book with 'Bruce Lee meets Fu Manchu' vibes. When that fad died out, he came back (of course) in a 3-4 part x-men book* in the 90's. I believe he was folded into the Avengers in the past 10 years or so, as with virtually everyone else.

clean.jpg*

Apparently rumours are pointing to Black Knight making his debut in Endgame. While I do think this the wrong film to be introducing new characters, it does amuse me to think it has taken this many films for one of the z-list "real" Avengers to potentially make an onscreen debut...

s-l1000.jpg

Just got back from seeing Captain Marvel.  Great stuff.  Much like the comic it's just feel good adventure and it avoids the usual plot points of an origin movie. 

Roll on April for Endgame. 

Better late than never...IMG_20190315_154114608.jpg

Really looking forward to this, think it's my first trip to the Cinema since Infinity War.