passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

Watched Ant Man 3. Yeeesh, that’s not a good film. Wasn’t as awful as some people make out but it’s far from good. 

Kang, I just don’t get. One minute he can use his fingers to crush you and vaporises an army by holding out his hand, the next he’s only just beating Scott in a standard fist fight. He’s simultaneously too powerful and a wuss. Weird. 

Yeah, it's just a bit of a mess, if had just been an Ant-Man film it would've been better, but having to introduce Kang and all these elements that continue through Phases 5 & 6 really affected it, almost feels like a 'too many cooks' type situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Across the Spiderverse on Saturday night.

Wow! What a fucking fantastic film that was. It really had everything, a great story that expanded on the characters of the first film, 'coming of age' moments that show Miles getting to grips with his Real Life/Superhero life balance and then the absolutely batshit Spiderverse itself, the hundreds of Spider-Men, seeing Spider-Man 2099 Miguel O'Hara for the first time and him being an absolute badass. 

Absolutely amazing action sequences that were just incredibly bombastic with so much stuff going on at once, there's one set piece on a train which just blew me away. The animation throughout is just perfect, how they blend the different animation styles into one another going from Water Colour for one character and her world and then using pencil for another character, how all the different dimensions look different than one another, distinctive and vibrant. How everything all blends into the soundtrack as well throughout the film, just masterful stuff.

The only sour note is that the ending doesn't really feel satisfying, setting up the next movie and getting you excited to see what happens there, but at the detriment of this one feeling fully complete, like a Part 1 of 2 almost. But yeah, not a huge problem with a film as fantastic as this is, I'd say it's pretty much perfect in all regards aside from the ending.

Honestly can't recommend it enough, especially if you liked Into the Spider-Verse a few years ago, I would recommend watching that before this though, we did a rewatch the night before and there was a lot of stuff we forgot about.

• 2 weeks later...

I was expecting one of Blakey's "banging" recommendations. The suit looks good, the rest doesn't. Why Kraven, a very low tier* Spider-Man villain gets a solo movie, who can say at this point?

*For context:

In 2009, Kraven was ranked as IGN's 53rd-greatest comic book villain of all time.

9 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

so they're pulling from a small pool

If @Mafwere still around. He'd have words to say about that.

Personal Spider-Man Rogues Gallery Ranking : r/Spiderman

I was trying to look up a collage of the Spider-Man complete rogues gallery. This was the closest I could find and I don't think this even lists them all. Personally I wouldn't agree with most of the 'S' and 'A' placements here. But they do have a good few options that would be a lot more creative than Kraven the Hunter.

Secret Invasion - Episode 1

It was fine. I've seen too many of the classic espionage films from the 60's & 70's to find it all that original, however. All the principal cast are decent. I am hoping for some kind of twist or shift in the next episode or this one might be a bit too formulaic. 5/10

Oh yeah what did happen to maf? I just wished sambob happy birthday thinking he still visited occasionally 🙈

Looking at those little pictures Venom is the shittest one. Why the obsession over that one when you have that guy in D second in on the bottom. 

Secret Invasion - Episode 2

A step up from last week. Sophie was the highlight in her scene. The conversation with Fury and Rhodes, to me, didn't really land as intended and was certainly the low point of the episode. Still hasn't been able to shake off the generic tropes of the espionage genre yet though. The ending was interesting. 7/10

Secret Invasion - Episode 3

We're back down a step, in quality. Seems to be one of those kind of mini series unfortunately. Considering there are only two episodes left, that's not encouraging.

The stakes of this episode might have been better realised with a bigger scope. When most of the more dramatic scenes involving three talking heads. It takes the emphasis away somewhat.

Talos, Fury (and Olivia Colman) continue to be the only enjoyable characters onscreen. 5/10