passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

I was talking to a fellow X-Men fan a while ago and we were discussing how best to introduce the X-Men in the MCU.

DyldLFIXcAAK9X6.jpg

While the ideal (I think I've mentioned before) would be to introduce the Original Five. Something that hasn't happened within any prior onscreen iteration of the team (neither cartoons nor films). I think, an alternate approach could also work. Incorporating the already established MCU - The Age of Apocalypse.

Abridged version: Professor X's son, in a bid to help make his father's dream a reality. Goes into the past to kill Magneto, before his rise to supervillain. Accidentally, he kills his own father in the past. This in turn, emboldens Apocalypse to attack and conquer the world too early for serious resistance to be mounted. Basically, Apocalypse attacks 60's Marvel... They were not ready.

36675-5572-40988-1-x-universe.jpg 

Apocalypse culls billions. Pre-Spider-Man Peter Parker, Black Panther and Namor to name a few big names. This book, X-Universe, covers this perspective. Through survivors such as Tony Stark, Donald Blake, Gwen Stacy, Sue Storm among others (You'll note Daredevil and Hulk on the cover, they are not heroes here)

A possibly Cable-centric, reverse narrative. A particularly bleak one. Might be a very unique way to handle their introduction. Possibly too dark? I wouldn't say so.

• 1 month later...

Also caught up with a few MCUs recently.  Spider-Man No Way Home was fun but I don't think much stuck with me, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was more fun once I tricked myself into taking it as a singular, separated film as it really does the grander arc for Wanda pretty dirty.  I can see this being more of a problem as the MCU gets bigger.  And I saw Thor Love and Thunder and... oof.  I'm generally fond of Ragnarok but this does swing and miss a lot.  Couldn't trick myself into an appreciative mindset for this one.

So out of the three I think I generally had a good time with Doctor Strange with the caveat as there is some fun scenes in it and got playful with the multiverse in a way I enjoyed, where as Spider-Man was more predictable and has overt references over an actual story.

• 1 month later...

An interesting quote from Tumblr

The argument for changing Magneto’s ethnic and cultural background in order to make his experiences/perspective more “modern” is just wrong. That idea treats anti-semitism like a solved problem when it absolutely is not. All anti-semitism did not end when WWII did. Magneto bears relevance to this day, and there are plenty of ways comics have explained away his age. The MCU can certainly do the same. You cannot have Magneto without him being Jewish. You cannot have Magneto without him being a survivor.

• 4 weeks later...

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

New from today, on Disney+. The first thing I can say, this is better than the first film. Which I found incredibly generic and very much a product of the Marvel Formula. The sequel, in comparison, has ambition that the first one lacked. The CG, for the most part is also greatly improved over it's predecessor. Which, considering there is a lot of water effects here, was certainly necessary. The Wakandan cast are fine. The intro doesn't really do anything for me personally. As I didn't care for the character previously. As far as the new cast goes, Namor was done very well. A lot closer to his roots. He isn't a superhero. He is a ruler. On the other end of the spectrum is Riri Williams AKA Iron Heart. Maybe it is just me, but I don't think she was needed in this film? A not exactly endearing characterisation aside. She could have been lifted from the film without much impact.

Would I watch another Black Panther? Possibly. An improvement over the decisive 'no' after the first film. Which is why I was so reluctant to see this until many months after it left the cinema. 8/10

• 3 weeks later...

Kermode's review was entertaining I thought

It's a shame tho in the sense that Jonathan Majors was quite good in that role that he played in another of these thingys, which I guess is a spoiler so I'll leave it vague like that but that was another case of a great actor elevating tediously shite material by being the best thing in it. Which sounds like the case with Ant Man.

Spoiler

Loki, btw. The final scene 

We saw Quantumania on Saturday and enjoyed it. It's probably the best of the three Ant-Man movies but that isn't really saying too much, it's a solid 7/10, maybe 6/10 but nothing more really. Nowhere near as bad as some of the critic reviews in my view, but certainly not good, great or brilliant by any stretch of the imagination. 

Completely agree with Jim that Majors was excellent in it, by far and away the highlight of the entire film for me. I think ultimately this had to juggle too many plates setting up Majors as a villain, continuing the Multiverse Saga, setting up loads of future events in likelihood etc. and the actual Ant-Man character and story was kind of left to the wayside in favour of the greater MCU. 

Pretty much non-stop action throughout, but the story suffers as a result. Some interesting stuff in there, introduction to two famous Marvel villains but that's about it. Forgettable is probably how I'd describe it, which could probably be said about the first two Ant-Man films as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Guardians 3 is fan-fucking-tastric, the best post-Endgame film I think, although Shang-Chi and No Way Home come close.

So bloody funny, some really emotional moments and some absolutely amazing action set pieces, it was faultless really and I’d love to see it again.

Superb music selections as always, love spending time with these characters, with a couple new ones introduced which are really great to spend time with too.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Guardians vol 3 this evening, yeah it was alright.  Pretty sure it was the most animal cruelty (albeit cgi) I've  seen in a film before. The plot was decent and it hit some emotional beats. Starlord seemed a bit sidelined in the film, not necessarily a bad thing but not what I was expecting. Made me laugh a few times.

They also toned down Drax a bit as well, again not a bad thing

57 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

Shame you didn't quite land as well for you :( .

I still enjoyed it, I've always been a little indifferent to the Guardians post the first film anyway. It was way better than the second film, wasn't as good as the first. I did like that it was pretty low stakes in the wider sense of the MCU, didn't feel like it was there to crank forward the wider story that's going on in the way Ant-Man 3 did